The Student Room Group

OCR AS Sources of Law 23rd May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Maerim
Procedural ultra vires: where the body or individual making the decisions has failed to follow some procedure or requirement laid down in legislation.

Substantive ultra vires: where the body or individual making the decision has used the authorised powers in an unauthorised way.

Substantive ultra vires for unreasonableness: where the body or individual making the decision makes a decision which no reasonable body or individual in the same situation would do.

thank you sooo much :smile:
Reply 81
Original post by hoping
sorry to be a pain, but what is the difference ? :/

basically, i went on the ocr website to look at the grade boundaries. i was a mark of an b! i think it was 56 or something in jan to get an B, something on those lines anyway:smile:

Procedural ultra vires - procedures laid out by the parent act that have not been followed (example the Aylesbury v Mushroom Case)
In the exam they are likely to say something along the lines of - A Minister brings an SI into force but has not consulted the parties affected by the SI

Substantive - Regulation goes beyond the powers it was given (R v Home Secretary ex parte Fire Brigade Union) in the exam it will say something along the lines of "A Minster has been given power to make DL on legal funding, he has made regulations on health and safety"

Original post by Maerim
From January 2013, you need 46 raw marks for a B (56 UMS).

Thanks! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
When EU and D.L appear on the paper imma b all like...:danceboy: in the exam hall
Reply 83
Original post by oluus
Procedural ultra vires - procedures laid out by the parent act that have not been followed (example the Aylesbury v Mushroom Case)
In the exam they are likely to say something along the lines of - A Minister brings an SI into force but has not consulted the parties affected by the SI

Substantive - Regulation goes beyond the powers it was given (R v Home Secretary ex parte Fire Brigade Union) in the exam it will say something along the lines of "A Minster has been given power to make DL on legal funding, he has made regulations on health and safety"

Thanks! :smile:

thank you ! :smile: did you revise for other topics?
Reply 84
Original post by hoping
thank you ! :smile: did you revise for other topics?

I revised Judicial Precedent, Law Reform and Delegated Legislation.
My college doesn't teach EU Law, and I haven't had much time to revise Statutory Interpretation, so I'm just going over some notes now.
What about you?
Reply 85
Original post by oluus
I revised Judicial Precedent, Law Reform and Delegated Legislation.
My college doesn't teach EU Law, and I haven't had much time to revise Statutory Interpretation, so I'm just going over some notes now.
What about you?

we never learnt any of the topics, im kind of self teaching myself. they only provided us with powerpoints lol.

i left EU, and judicial. dont know whether its a wise thing to do, but theres so much, and judicial is complex too in terms of cases.

i looked at stat, but not thoroughly. just skimmed it.
i only revised delegated, and acts of parliament. my school didnt provide me with a law reform powerpoint :/

anyway, im off now. ill update about the exam tmoz. good luck :smile:
Reply 86
Original post by hoping
we never learnt any of the topics, im kind of self teaching myself. they only provided us with powerpoints lol.

i left EU, and judicial. dont know whether its a wise thing to do, but theres so much, and judicial is complex too in terms of cases.

i looked at stat, but not thoroughly. just skimmed it.
i only revised delegated, and acts of parliament. my school didnt provide me with a law reform powerpoint :/

anyway, im off now. ill update about the exam tmoz. good luck :smile:

Yes good luck to you too! Hopefully delegated legislation will come up :smile: I'm going to stay up a bit longer and revise stat just in case :wink:
Reply 87
I feel like I'm ready for the exam now. Let's hope I don't fall asleep during it :sigh:
Reply 88
Words cannot describe the happiness I felt when I saw delegated legislation on this paper. I must have looked like a complete idiot to other people in the exam hall but I literally could not get rid of the massive grin I had for good five minutes.

Overall I think I did well. Slightly ran out of time on effectiveness of controls but managed to state a few problems anyway.

Glad its over now!!!

How did you guys find it??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone else started thanking God when they saw EU law?
Reply 90
I did not have a clue how to answer the last question to this paper. ;-; I guess thats what you get for no revision, would have been an awesome paper otherwise :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oluus
Words cannot describe the happiness I felt when I saw delegated legislation on this paper. I must have looked like a complete idiot to other people in the exam hall but I literally could not get rid of the massive grin I had for good five minutes.

Overall I think I did well. Slightly ran out of time on effectiveness of controls but managed to state a few problems anyway.

Glad its over now!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOOL thats what I done in january I was staring at the paper for like 5 minutes with joy
Reply 92
Original post by oluus

Glad its over now!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I saw European Law (somehow I opened that page first) and my heart sank. Then I took a deep breath and thought it will be Delegated Legislation. When I saw the Acts of Parliament I wanted to dance, until I saw the controls and the effectiveness. :eek::eek:

Looks like I was right with question (a) and (b), shame I wasn't right about question (c). Would have loved to have had the three types and advantages/disadvantages; however, I didn't do badly (only let down by not fully describing the Scrutiny Committee and the Legislative Reform Act 2006.)
I was struggling with expanding the points on the effectiveness but made sure I linked to the source whenever, might earn me a few marks. But from what I saw, I had mentioned everything I have seen on a high marked answer (maybe not as concise but not far off).

Well guys, for me it is one exam down and five to go! Good luck in your other exams. :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by LosMutos
Haha me too. As well I have a perfect answer for describe the different types. As long as it comes up, I should have a possible 30 marks in the bag. I'm retaking this exam too because I know I can do better. Goodluck with your exams dude :smile:

And of course you should bother! :tongue:

Tell me you smashed that first question! :cool: Shame the three types didn't come up, oh well. Sadly I didn't "listen" to your advice and didn't bother much with the controls but thank God I could remember what I had read.
Reply 94
heyyy guys, how did you lot find the exam? we were right on our predictions! :smile:

i think i done most right, but the last question of effectiveness just ruined it. but i think its good overall:smile:
i was a mark of an B last time, and yet i found the exam hard in jan. but, today's at this rate will get the B that i want:smile: hopefully! :smile:
Hey just wondering does anyone remember the full questions?
Did anyone else notice that we were required to write our answers on specific pages? For example 2b on page 5 and so on? I didn't realise this, my friends informed me after the exam and now I'm really worried that in not going to get any marks! :frown:
Reply 97
Original post by Caralaralou
Did anyone else notice that we were required to write our answers on specific pages? For example 2b on page 5 and so on? I didn't realise this, my friends informed me after the exam and now I'm really worried that in not going to get any marks! :frown:

dont worry, i did the same thing as you for the one in jan, but they did count the marks. :smile:

also, for scenario questions, i put all the answers in one page. dont worry they wont mark you down! :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by hoping
heyyy guys, how did you lot find the exam? we were right on our predictions! :smile:

i think i done most right, but the last question of effectiveness just ruined it. but i think its good overall:smile:
i was a mark of an B last time, and yet i found the exam hard in jan. but, today's at this rate will get the B that i want:smile: hopefully! :smile:

Did you do judicial review okay? You didn't seem sure yesterday. :smile:
Original post by hoping
dont worry, i did the same thing as you for the one in jan, but they did count the marks. :smile:

also, for scenario questions, i put all the answers in one page. dont worry they wont mark you down! :smile:

ahh that's okay then, thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending