The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoolRunner
1 mark? I think.
yehh 1
Reply 201
What everyone say for the question on why there's a smaller peak at m/z 20? I threw in molecular fragmentation of water, is this right?

Water Mr=18, so it makes sense to get peaks below18 which are smaller, but HOW do you get peaks above 18?
Original post by krisshP
What everyone say foe the question on why there's a smaller peak at m/z 20?
I threw in molecular fragmentation of water.

Yeah, I also put this.

I saw fragmentation in one of the past papers, so we should be fine :smile:
i said fragmentation as well
Reply 204
Original post by emicroteen96
i said fragmentation as well

Original post by DomGunstone
Yeah, I also put this.

I saw fragmentation in one of the past papers, so we should be fine :smile:

Water Mr=18, so it makes sense to get peaks below18 which are smaller, but HOW do you get peaks above 18?
Original post by krisshP
1 HF-->50%-->6000 years
2HF-->25%-->12,000 years
3HF-->12.5%-->18,000 years

They told you the HF was 6000 years

Oh fugggerr!! I did 12000 x 2 instead of 12000 add 6000 ffss lol stupid mistake
Reply 206
Makes no sense to get peaks above 18
Original post by krisshP

If u use an isotope of O with a mass off 18, it would add up to 20 including the hydrogen atoms in the water molecule
youre right the highest one is usually the compound, but its 18 not 20
Reply 209
Original post by Ikklemini
If u use an isotope of O with a mass off 18, it would add up to 20 including the hydrogen atoms in the water molecule

So then fragmentation of water is wrong right?
How many UMS is this paper out of?
Original post by krisshP

It's right.

You could just say that 2 or more electrons have been removed from the outer shell/s as an alternative answer.
Reply 212
For the one where we had to write an ion, was it 18/6 O (-2)?
Original post by nukethemaly
How many UMS is this paper out of?

90 UMS
Reply 214
Original post by DomGunstone
It's right.

You could just say that 2 or more electrons have been removed from the outer shell/s as an alternative answer.

No you can't since then the charge would be say +2 nd m/z where z=+2 would mean a lower peak, not a greater peak at m/z 20 they were asking for
Reply 215
How do you convert results to UMS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by krisshP

Fragmentation would have a m/z lower than 20 and it said in thhe question many isotopes of oxygen with the MAIN one being 16-O
Original post by krisshP
One question was about writing a reaction. It was worth only 1 mark and it did NOT mention anything on state symbols. I wrote the reaction, but didn't put state symbols since I was a bit unsure with what the state symbols would be or that reaction and I didn't want to risk showing incorrect state symbols. Is this okay?

There was only one where it asked about state symbols, lets just hope the one you're describing isnt it. :P
Reply 219
Original post by madrevision
what error, i got the ion question wrong- on the back page

At first I didn't notice that they were talking about water but then four minutes to the end I finally noticed and quickly wrote down the right answer *phew*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending