The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Adalbosco
Do you think just mentioning that the sample must be gaseous is too vague for the mark (had to be in the context of both carbon structures being solid)? If anyone can remember a past paper with a question like this, please tell me.

yes i think thats more right,i may be wrong with my awnser!
Reply 1001
Sorry for reposting this, but it can be a major help to any future person(s) who may want to make the unofficial mark scheme
* Some of the questions and marks given may not be right *

1a) Define relative isotopic mass. (2)
1b) Fill the table in for the atomic structure of a potassium atom and ion. (3)
1c) How many molecules are in 6.(something)g of SiCl4? (3)
1d) Draw the symbols for each particle shown in the ionic lattice structure of KCl. (2)

2a)
Write out the electronic configuration for an atom of sulphur (1)
2b) What are the 2 main ions in Al2(SO3)3 (2)
2c) Why is N2SO4 described as a salt? (1)
Can't remember exact structure of question 2, but a titration type question was there.

3a)
A precipitation reaction was used to identify the iodide present in Potassium Iodide. State the reagent used for this reaction (1)
3b) Write the ionic equation to show the reaction between this reagent and the Iodide ion, including state symbols. (2)
3c) What colour would the precipitate containing the iodide ion show? (1)
3d) A mixture of potassium iodide and bromine was present in a solution. What solvent can be used to identify the presence of iodide in this solution? (1)

6a) Describe the reactivity of the group 2 metals with chlorine as you descend the group. (5)
6b)
State why using graphite or diamond for the first ionisation energy for carbon was (unnecessary?) (1)
6c) Fill the boxes in of the table stating the properties of lithium, carbon and fluorine (6)

A few other random questions I can remember (in any order):

- A student suggested the bond angles in H-N-H would be larger in NH3BF3 than NH3, suggest why. (3 marker I think)
- What bond angles are present in the F-B-F in: i) BF3 ii) NH3BF3 (2)
- Phosphene gas reacts with oxygen to form P4010 and water. Write out the equation for this reaction. (1)
- Why does PH3 have a lower boiling point than NH3? (1)
- State the main types of intermolecular forces in NH3 and PH3 (2)
- Give the equation for the reaction between Aluminium Oxide and sulphuric acid, including state symbols. (2)
- Work out the number for X in (metal).XH2O
- Using oxidation numbers, state why the reaction of P4 was a disproportionation reaction (3)
- Write out the equation for the reaction between Chlorine and water. Explain why the litmus paper turned red. (2)
- What is the ion responsible for bleach?
- Define 'dative covalent bond'. (1 or 2?)
- Using dot and cross diagrams, draw the bonding in NH3BF3 and label the dative covalent bond. (2)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by theCreator
No that is the correct answer. Why would 3 moles of acid mean that 3 moles of water is produced. assumptions like that cannot be made. If you look all the atoms are balanced on each side

but in your equation there are 15 O's on LHS, and 18 on RHS , im pretty sure
Singlehandedly lowered the grade boundaries, yet again
Original post by Haque95
Sorry for reposting this, but it can be a major help to anyone future person(s) who want make the unofficial mark scheme

I just remembered the phosphorus questions were all question 2, and the bleach questions were question 4. The nitrogen and all the bond angle questions were question 5, and so the carbon diamond questions were question 6
I thought I was alright :smile:

With the no. of molecules I x5 as I thought there were 5 molecules *oops*....aah well, I had the 3.something in my workings so hopefully will only drop 1 :smile:
Original post by Haque95
Sorry for reposting this, but it can be a major help to anyone future person(s) who want make the unofficial mark scheme

1a) Define relative isotopic mass. (2)
1b) Fill the table in for the atomic structure of a potassium atom and ion. (3)
1c) How many molecules are in 6.(something)g of SiCl4? (3)
1d) Draw the symbols for each particle shown in the ionic lattice structure of KCl. (2)

3a)
A precipitation reaction was used to identify the iodide present in Potassium Iodide. State the reagent used for this reaction (1)
3b) Write the ionic equation to show the reaction between this reagent and the Iodide ion, including state symbols. (2)
3c) What colour would the precipitate containing the iodide ion show? (1)
3d) A mixture of potassium iodide and bromine was present in a solution. What solvent can be used to identify the presence of iodide in this solution? (1)

5a) Describe the reactivity of the group 2 metals with chlorine as you descend the group. (5)
5b)
State why using graphite or diamond for the first ionisation energy for carbon was (unnecessary?) (1)
5c) Fill the boxes in of the table stating the properties of lithium, carbon and fluorine (6)

A few other random questions I can remember (in any order):

- A student suggested the bond angles in H-N-H would be larger in NH3BF3 than NH3, suggest why. (3 marker I think)
- What bond angles are present in the F-B-F in: i) BF3 ii) NH3BF3 (2)
- Phosphene gas reacts with oxygen to form P4010 and water. Write out the equation for this reaction. (1)
- Why does PH3 have a lower boiling point than NH3? (1)
- Why is N2SO4 described as a salt? (1)
- State the main types of intermolecular forces in NH3 and PH3 (2)
- Give the equation for the reaction between Aluminium Oxide and sulphuric acid, including state symbols. (2)
- Work out the number for X in (metal).XH2O
- Using oxidation numbers, state why the reaction of P4 was a disproportionation reaction (3)
- Write out the equation for the reaction between Chlorine and water. Explain why the litmus paper turned red. (2)
- Define 'dative covalent bond'. (1 or 2?)
- Using dot and cross diagrams, draw the bonding in NH3BF3 and label the dative covalent bond. (2)

1B) was not 3 marks it was 1 or 2
Original post by theCreator
I just remembered the phosphorus questions were all question 2, and the bleach questions were question 4. The nitrogen and all the bond angle questions were question 5, and so the carbon diamond questions were question 6

There was only 5 questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kelvinbeyioku
but in your equation there are 15 O's on LHS, and 18 on RHS , im pretty sure

NOOOO FFS :'( 1 mark gone
Original post by jackitsme
how much will a B be? or a C? i think i got like 45+

I'll be very surprised if that isn't at least a B
For the second reagent, that would indicate iodine ions, wasnt it concentrated NH3 as Br- ions are souble in this and iodine ions are not
Original post by Sunil_karan
For the second reagent, that would indicate iodine ions, wasnt it concentrated NH3 as Br- ions are souble in this and iodine ions are not

Yeah it was
Reply 1012
Original post by jackitsme
1B) was not 3 marks it was 1 or 2

Edit it as we go along
My guess at boundaries: A 50 B 43 C37
Reply 1014
What was the answer to the ion responsible for bleaching or something? That completely threw me
Original post by zangorou
What was the answer to the ion responsible for bleaching or something? That completely threw me

clo-
What answer did every get for the water of crystallisation calculation?
Reply 1017
clo-

I crossed that out omfg
Original post by CRW1996
What answer did every get for the water of crystallisation calculation?

clo-

Think I just got Cl-, wouldn't ClO be 3-?

Latest

Trending

Trending