The Student Room Group

AQA Psychology A - AS: June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by nm786
use this site: http://www.psychteacher.co.uk/abnormality/psychodynamic-model.html it has nearly everything you need to know for unit 2 and very detailed too. There's also tips on answering a 12 mark questions.

Thankyou :smile:
Do we need to learn research methods for this exam? ( obviously we need to know about the methods used in bio/psych/cog/behav approach but like im talking general. ive only come accross one exam paper where it was like this girl had did and interview and she was found to be type B but when doing the questionnaire she was Type A. something like that :s-smilie:
scared for unit 2 :frown:
Original post by gloriousgloria
Do we need to learn research methods for this exam? ( obviously we need to know about the methods used in bio/psych/cog/behav approach but like im talking general. ive only come accross one exam paper where it was like this girl had did and interview and she was found to be type B but when doing the questionnaire she was Type A. something like that :s-smilie:
scared for unit 2 :frown:

You do need to know research methods for all psychology exams unfortunately
Reply 83
Original post by mynameisntbobk
How did it go?

Pretty good, got in 3 main studies (Grossmann, Takahashi and Kroonenberg's meta analysis) and evaluative AO2 points like:
- culture bias
- ethics (eg Takahashi's study had to be terminated cos the infants were too distressed)
- threw in a defence for the previous point by bringing up Ainsworth but I don't think I'll get marks for that...ah well, 10/12 is decent c:

Yourself?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
You do need to know research methods for all psychology exams unfortunately

o gawd, more work for me then.
How's revision going for you?
Original post by Sannn
Pretty good, got in 3 main studies (Grossmann, Takahashi and Kroonenberg's meta analysis) and evaluative AO2 points like:
- culture bias
- ethics (eg Takahashi's study had to be terminated cos the infants were too distressed)
- threw in a defence for the previous point by bringing up Ainsworth but I don't think I'll get marks for that...ah well, 10/12 is decent c:

Yourself?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Ah that's good! Basically the 3 studies I would have used :tongue: 10 is great, so I hope you've managed to get it

Didn't retake it :s-smilie: big mistake as I was so ready for cultural variations in Jan and I only needed one mark to bump up this B, just need unit 2 to be exactly like January I guess
o gawd, more work for me then.
How's revision going for you?

haha, they're not too bad once you understamd them
I've actually been neglecting psychology since it's my last exam, but I've started and it's alright I guess, how about you?

haha, they're not too bad once you understamd them
I've actually been neglecting psychology since it's my last exam, but I've started and it's alright I guess, how about you?

Samee, and ive like forgotten quite a bit but revision is going okay could be better, bit worried about the abnormality section. Kinda happy I have 13 days and study leave to turn things around.:tongue:
Samee, and ive like forgotten quite a bit but revision is going okay could be better, bit worried about the abnormality section. Kinda happy I have 13 days and study leave to turn things around.:tongue:

I'm literally exactly the same as you in that sense, just hoping there's not a lot of stress questions or abnormality
Reply 88
Can I ask how many 12 mark questions and 8 mark question we will get in the Unit 2 exam?
Reply 89
always 1 12 marker
either no 8 marker or 1 8 marker

to be honest i prefer the longer questions as its easier not to lose marks in more continuous prose ! :biggrin:
Original post by Segadfx
Cultural variations. I thought it was quite a nice 12 marker, compared to what could have come up.

Me too! I was hoping it would be on memory but the one we were given was great tbh.
Original post by gaffer dean
for A01: The four main techniques by Geiselman et al. A02: Use Geiselman, there's also research conducted by Fisher et al who found 47% more useful information from witnesses to real crimes compared to when they had been using standard interview techniques. Bekerian & Dennet (1993) reviewed 27 studies into the effectiveness of the cognitive interview schedule and found that the cognitive interview provided more accurate information than other interview techniques (see: http://www.psychteacher.co.uk/memory/cognitive-interview.html) plus there was another one about police saying why they would use standard interview technique instead of cognitive interview (which is in the cat book - student companion)

i said the same thing BUT i said Foster Instead of Fisher wtf, arghh
Original post by chrissy dee
i said the same thing BUT i said Foster Instead of Fisher wtf, arghh

Don't worry about it, you only wrote the name down wrong, as long as you wrote correct findings and gave good points you can still get marks. You didn't have to write the name anyway you could have just wrote 'research suggests..' :smile:
How did you find rest of the paper? You lot had a nice 12 and an 8 marker :colone:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 93
Hi guys,
How would you answer this 12 marker?
"Discuss research into the influence that individual differences have on independent behaviour"
Cheers :smile:
Original post by MegMoo12
Hi guys,
How would you answer this 12 marker?
"Discuss research into the influence that individual differences have on independent behaviour"
Cheers :smile:

that sounds like a crazy 12 marker. is it social psychology or individual differences?
Reply 95
Social I think - its horrible right?!! I dunno whether it specifically means insights from Aschs and Milgrams studies and locus of control or gender, background characteristics and individual diffs in locus of control? page 174-175 in textbook :smile:
Reply 96
Could anyone tell me any limitations of the biological approach in simple terms please? Thanks!!
Original post by Rudi123
Could anyone tell me any limitations of the biological approach in simple terms please? Thanks!!

Very simplistic/reductionist
Biological treatments aren't effective for all people
Leads to labelling and stigatising of the patient
Relies on self report - very objective

Original post by MegMoo12
Social I think - its horrible right?!! I dunno whether it specifically means insights from Aschs and Milgrams studies and locus of control or gender, background characteristics and individual diffs in locus of control? page 174-175 in textbook :smile:

We may have a different textbook, that bit is physiological methods of stress management for me]
Oh I kind of get it now, individual differences as in age, gender, so yeah those sorts of things. There have been a few research. I know Twenge et al found youth in America are believeing more and more in external force, which gives them external LOC, more likely to conform..
Its a really odd question though. Would you get away with using Asch, as he's sample were all males?
Heyy, can any explain to me the limitations of Freud's Psychodynamic approach to abnormality?

I understand that the concepts of id, ego and super ego are hard to define and research because actions motivated by them operate on an unconscious level. Also the theory is sexually unbalanced (less developed for women) However I don't understand How it is difficult to prove or disapprove?
I'm referring to the Psychology book by Cardwell and Flanagan with the cat coco standing on some books (2nd edition)
Reply 99
Heyy, can any explain to me the limitations of Freud's Psychodynamic approach to abnormality?

I understand that the concepts of id, ego and super ego are hard to define and research because actions motivated by them operate on an unconscious level. Also the theory is sexually unbalanced (less developed for women) However I don't understand How it is difficult to prove or disapprove?
I'm referring to the Psychology book by Cardwell and Flanagan with the cat coco standing on some books (2nd edition)

EDIT: it is difficult to prove because:
'actions motivated by them operate primarily at unconcious level, so there is no way to know for certain that they are occuring. As a result, psychodynamic explanations have received limited empirical support and psychodynamic theorists have had to rely on evidence from case studies.'

Then you could go on talking about the limitations of case studies.

Other useful info can be found here: http://www.psychteacher.co.uk/abnormality/psychodynamic-model.html
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest