The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2160
Original post by Felix Felicis

How about...

Ok, so a census-taker knocks on the door and asks the woman inside how many children she has and how old they are. The woman replies:
"I have 3 daughters. Their ages are whole numbers and the product of their ages is 36."
"That's not enough information." The census-taker replies.
"I'd tell you the sum of their ages but you'd still be stumpted." The woman replies.
"I wish you'd tell me something...more ." The census-taker replies, licking his lips.
"My oldest daughter, Abbie, likes dogs."
What are the ages of the daughters?

... I'll get back to you LOOL :unsure:

Original post by joostan

A GP is a geometric progression, on a technicality I seem to recall that in the q it's actually a geometric series but hey ho.:tongue:

OHH right, hmm may not be too bad then!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tigerz
The amount of times I start having laughing fits in the middle of class because I remember something :rofl3: Uh-Oh its Friday tomorrow, I know what you're gonna be thinking about in C2

:woo: finally met someone as weird as me :tongue: haha, I actually used to randomly start laughing in maths, my teacher would always have have to say "and (my name) don't laugh" at the end of every sentence she said, that made it 10x more funny - completely normal behaviour we're exhibiting - :wink:
Hahaha I really hope I don't :tongue: I probably will now that I've remembered it :laugh:
Reply 2162
Original post by mynameisntbobk
:woo: finally met someone as weird as me :tongue: haha, I actually used to randomly start laughing in maths, my teacher would always have have to say "and (my name) don't laugh" at the end of every sentence she said, that made it 10x more funny - completely normal behaviour we're exhibiting - :wink:
Hahaha I really hope I don't :tongue: I probably will now that I've remembered it :laugh:

LOL, in my old school everyone just got used to the fact that I'd either be eating, laughing or on my phone in class :s
Now everyone just gets confused, its funny how they start laughing for no reason :P

Yup we is weirdos! :five:

Ok, so a census-taker knocks on the door and asks the woman inside how many children she has and how old they are. The woman replies:
"I have 3 daughters. Their ages are whole numbers and the product of their ages is 36."
"I'd tell you the sum of their ages but you'd still be stumpted." The woman replies.
"I wish you'd tell me something...more ." The census-taker replies, licking his lips.

Bit of an effort, but really Felix? It's not really C2. Tell them there's two kids.
The product of the ages is 26, the sum is 10.
How old are they?
:lol:
There is one more question that is bugging me.
Let's say there are 10 women and 6 men (just made up the numbers).
You want to know in how many ways you can arrange them so that no two men sit next to each other.
I know that part of my working will be 10! x 6! but there are more possibilities because there are 10 women. How do I find this? :smile:
Reply 2165
You may not rise to it but something else is definitely gonna be rising :sexface:

If you're referring to the one I think you're referring to, I made that question my biatch. :ahee:

How about...

I dunno :s This isn't even c2? One of these LOL

1 1 36
1 2 18
1 3 12
1 4 9
2 2 9
2 3 6
3 3 4
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by joostan
No stationary points either :lol:

Spoiler

When's your C2 exam?:smile:

What was the graph again? I might attempt the SMC next yr :smile:
Original post by tigerz
OHH right, hmm may not be too bad then!

Stole this from the old thread courtesy of Felix :lol:

Spoiler

You may not rise to it but something else is definitely gonna be rising :sexface:

If you're referring to the one I think you're referring to, I made that question my biatch. :ahee:

How about...

2, 2 and 9.
Original post by tigerz
I dunno :s This isn't even c2?

Original post by joostan
Bit of an effort, but really Felix? It's not really C2. Tell them there's two kids.
The product of the ages is 26, the sum is 10.
How old are they?
:lol:

It doesn't take that long! And it's peculiar :tongue: But fine, fine...:wink:

How about this...

If r=1nf(r)\displaystyle\prod_{r=1}^{n} f(r) denotes f(1)f(2)f(3)f(n)f(1) \cdot f(2) \cdot f(3) \cdots f(n) then evaluate

r=1n(r+1r)\displaystyle\prod_{r=1}^{n} \left( \dfrac{r+1}{r} \right)
Original post by reubenkinara
What was the graph again? I might attempt the SMC next yr :smile:

y=5x1y = 5^{x-1} if memory serves :smile:
I'd recommend it - it's a bit of fun :lol:
2, 2 and 9.

This is a cheating question because it's not just about maths. We have to assume the people in it talk with no grammatical errors, haha.
It doesn't take that long! And it's peculiar :tongue: But fine, fine...:wink:

How about this...

If r=1nf(r)\displaystyle\prod_{r=1}^{n} f(r) denotes f(1)f(2)f(3)f(n)f(1) \cdot f(2) \cdot f(3) \cdots f(n) then evaluate

r=1n(r+1r)\displaystyle\prod_{r=1}^{n} \left( \dfrac{r+1}{r} \right)

Look familiar? :lol:
I much prefer my ages q. :lol:
Original post by tigerz
LOL, in my old school everyone just got used to the fact that I'd either be eating, laughing or on my phone in class :s
Now everyone just gets confused, its funny how they start laughing for no reason :P

Yup we is weirdos! :five:

Haha so mutual :tongue:
I can just imagine :')
Original post by tigerz
I dunno :s This isn't even c2? One of these LOL

1 1 36
1 2 18
1 3 12
1 4 9
1 6 6
2 2 9
2 3 6
3 3 4

The clue in the sum of the factors and the fact there's an oldest.
Original post by joostan
Look familiar? :lol:
I much prefer my ages q. :lol:

Ha, and I assume you mean that the product is actually 16 and the ages are whole numbers? :tongue:
Reply 2176
The clue in the sum of the factors and the fact there's an oldest.

Ahhh, I need to remove some of them lols Thanks :biggrin:

Original post by mynameisntbobk
Haha so mutual :tongue:
I can just imagine :')

Hahah yup!
Original post by joostan
Stole this from the old thread courtesy of Felix :lol:

Spoiler

Do you start with writing:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Ha, and I assume you mean that the product is actually 16 and the ages are whole numbers? :tongue:

I mean exactly what I said. . . And whole number has no real meaning in this context. :ahee:
Do you start with writing:
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^n^-^1log_2^n e

?

Personally? No, I just dive straight into it :tongue:
Hint: - If you want one.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)

Latest