The Student Room Group

hate my life and school

Okay, here goes.

I got an A in my Maths GCSE, however, my school wouldn't let me do Alevel Maths as GCSE Additional Maths is a requirement the school said that only one person has ever attempted Alevel Maths with standard GCSE Maths at my school and they got a D.

Okay, I just went with the flow and did Business studies :rolleyes: (Along with all 3 sciences).

Around December time I got fed up and told my head of year I am dropping business/not turning up for the exam. She said that's fine and allowed me to drop it and I did only 3 subjects for a while. Then I decided enough is enough around January time and bought my self Alevel Maths books and self taught M1, C1, C2 in the space of 4 months. I just did M1 there and it was sooooo hard. I had barely anytime to teach myself the module and I think I have achieved D/U grade. However, in C1 and C2 I am pretty confident I'll get a decent grade in both (touch wood :lol:) So I'm hoping desperately it'll leave me with a B overall with 2 As in the core modules.

Anyway, I want to do Engineering but feel my school are doing everything to prevent me from doing it. I think I might have to move school and redo Sixth form if I want to be an Engineer. All I want is a bloody maths teacher to teach me Maths, but no, I am being denied that right. I achieved an A in my Physics and Chemistry module in January.

My school still deems me incapable as I didn't do Add Maths GCSE:rolleyes:

Should I just give up on being an Engineer having probably failed M1? I feel lost :frown: help :frown: I want to avoid a gap year too..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
The scenario you paint seems to indicate that you have fallen out with school, however the grades you seem to be getting has made you think that you should abandon engineering on the basis of a weak M1.
M1 is not a natural extension of anything you have done in GCSE and it is hardly surprising that you found it hard. C1 & C2 are a leap but they are not as diverse from GCSE.
I see no reason at all from this scenario for you to make a decision to dismiss engineering.

BTW, you are in the wrong forum here.
Reply 2
Original post by nerak99
The scenario you paint seems to indicate that you have fallen out with school, however the grades you seem to be getting has made you think that you should abandon engineering on the basis of a weak M1.
M1 is not a natural extension of anything you have done in GCSE and it is hardly surprising that you found it hard. C1 & C2 are a leap but they are not as diverse from GCSE.
I see no reason at all from this scenario for you to make a decision to dismiss engineering.

thank you so much :smile:

it was just because its mostly to do with maths
Reply 3
I had no idea there was even an additional maths GCSE. :confused:
The heck does that involve?
Reply 4
If I were you, I wouldn't give up: instead retake M1 again. I personally hated M1 when I did it this year (I found it too practical) and it was really hard to get my head round some of the methods. But now it seems really simple - because I did about 20 past papers, which you soon discover are basically all the same. This is how my teacher recommended we revise - he said that after practicing enough it suddenly 'clicked' and I found that was true. So what I'm saying is it's unsurprising you didn't do as well as you wanted in M1, because you had so little time. But now you've put so much work in, you can probably do really well in a retake because you'll have longer to revise.
Reply 5
Original post by nerak99

how is he in the wrong forum? its in maths :tongue: (or has it been moved?)
Reply 6
Original post by CJKay
I had no idea there was even an additional maths GCSE. :confused:
The heck does that involve?

It's like FSMQ.. basically AS Maths but it's a GCSE

Someone who gets an A in Maths at my school can't do Alevel Maths, true story :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by upthegunners
It's like FMSQ.. basically AS Maths but it's a GCSE

Someone who gets an A in Maths at my school can't do Alevel Maths, true story :rolleyes:

Haha that's so bull****. I got a B in maths GCSE and still did the A-Level. Came out with a D still, but that's because I sucked so bad at C3 and M2. :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by CJKay
Haha that's so bull****. I got a B in maths GCSE and still did the A-Level. Came out with a D still, but that's because I sucked so bad at C3 and M2. :frown:

yeap, I know. I got highest in the year in all the 3 sciences too. But nope, still not "bright" enough for Alevel Maths.

Ah dude, everything happens for a reason :smile: Trust me, it does! I have just realized that over the last year! When I look back, everything fits together like a jigsaw.
Reply 9
It's like FMSQ.. basically AS Maths but it's a GCSE

That is ridiculous simply because at my school, almost everyone in the "higher set" was put in for A-level maths whether they liked it or not...
Original post by MrJiggly
That is ridiculous simply because at my school, almost everyone in the "higher set" was put in for A-level maths whether they liked it or not...

It has made thing very difficult for me. I had to enroll to do Alevel Maths at another college a 30 minute drive away from me.
Reply 11
Ahh man that sucks :frown:
I got an A* a year early and then did a FSMQ (additional maths) and got a U.
Now here I am doing a level and i'm getting A's.
So much for additional maths having an impact...

You just gotta put the work in. Your school can't stop you from going to revision sessions/going to ask maths teachers for help...
Find a teacher that you like and ask them about the things you are confused about. I'm sure there must be some sane people in your school! :wink:
Okay, here goes.

I got an A in my Maths GCSE, however, my school wouldn't let me do Alevel Maths as GCSE Additional Maths is a requirement the school said that only one person has ever attempted Alevel Maths with standard GCSE Maths at my school and they got a D.

Okay, I just went with the flow and did Business studies :rolleyes: (Along with all 3 sciences).

Around December time I got fed up and told my head of year I am dropping business/not turning up for the exam. She said that's fine and allowed me to drop it and I did only 3 subjects for a while. Then I decided enough is enough around January time and bought my self Alevel Maths books and self taught M1, C1, C2 in the space of 4 months. I just did M1 there and it was sooooo hard. I had barely anytime to teach myself the module and I think I have achieved D/U grade. However, in C1 and C2 I am pretty confident I'll get a decent grade in both (touch wood :lol:) So I'm hoping desperately it'll leave me with a B overall with 2 As in the core modules.

Anyway, I want to do Engineering but feel my school are doing everything to prevent me from doing it. I think I might have to move school and redo Sixth form if I want to be an Engineer. All I want is a bloody maths teacher to teach me Maths, but no, I am being denied that right. I achieved an A in my Physics and Chemistry module in January.

My school still deems me incapable as I didn't do Add Maths GCSE:rolleyes:

Should I just give up on being an Engineer having probably failed M1? I feel lost :frown: help :frown: I want to avoid a gap year too..

So much for bragging on your other thread 'anyone can teach themself to get an A* and if you don't then your attitude is the problem."

You back down on earth yet hun?

Quick Reply

Latest