The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by tumblrgirl
when the hypothesis test is two tailed, you half the significance level don't you?
and also, how can you tell if it's meant to be two tailed or not because your hypotheses depend on it being two or one tailed :frown: so confused

Yes, if it's two tailed you half the sig level.
Also, the alternative hypothesis would be:
p is not equal to
And not:
p is greater than/smaller than

If you're a bit confused on two tailed tests check out this video:
http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/statistics/hypothesis-tests/binomial/examples/example-5.php
Reply 41
I haven't even started revising for this, exams all this week except Monday...Going to start S1 revision in about 6 hours

C1 went okay, C2 was awful!
Reply 42
Hey Guys! I've done pretty awful in Core 1 and Core 2 so I'm hoping to do well in stats to bring my grade up! So, has anyone got any predictions of what could come up, so I can just go over bits and pieces again? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Uncreative
I haven't even started revising for this, exams all this week except Monday...Going to start S1 revision in about 6 hours

S1 is tomorrow..?!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Yes haha! 9am!
Original post by tumblrgirl
we got told that if the number is over 50, you don't have to add the one, you can just divide by 2 straight away. However, our teachers said last year, there was a median question and the number was below 50 so nobody added the one but they lost a mark because of that. So,...always use n+1/2 for the median, no matter how big or small the number is :smile:

Okay, but in a past paper i did n+1/2 & i got the median wrong as it was just n/2 :frown:
Reply 46
Original post by Uncreative

Me too. Fourth late night of cramming in a row... :cry2:
For histograms when frequency density is on the y axis but you've scaled it to make the numbers more manageable, where do you put this information?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by jo7777
Me too. Fourth late night of cramming in a row... :cry2:

Me too :frown: I went to bed at 12pm last night and woke up at 5am to do some revision! Horrible!!
Reply 49
Anyone have any simple ways to understand probability

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Two years ago since I did this- feels like yesterday :frown:
So no one here understands Medians either :frown:
We're all doomed, lol
Reply 52
Original post by DarkWillow
We're all doomed, lol

At least if we're all doomed, the grade boundaries will be low!
:ahee:

every cloud has a silver lining
Reply 53
Original post by DarkWillow
We're all doomed, lol

its messed up, some ms say n/2 then some say n+1/2
Reply 54
What is the correct formula to use for standard deviation? Every mark scheme has a different formula, it's stressing me out!
Reply 55
i always seem to get probablility questions wrong, I just never know what do to :c any tips anyone?

i'm preparing to fail
Reply 56
Original post by zangorou
What is the correct formula to use for standard deviation? Every mark scheme has a different formula, it's stressing me out!

the easiest one is (sum of x^2) - (n x mean^2)
divided by n-1
ALL SQUARED
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 57
Guys how do you find the minimum and maximum possible values of the midrange of a histogram?
Please help! :smile:
Q1: http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/2011_June_s1.pdf
Reply 58
Original post by zangorou

I use
square root of (fx^2)-(n x mean^2) all divided by n-1 :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by jo7777
Guys how do you find the minimum and maximum possible values of the midrange of a histogram?
Please help! :smile:
Q1: http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/2011_June_s1.pdf

No worries...Get it now

Latest

Trending

Trending