The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am glad i re-read that Group 2 question. I had written half the space on reactivity down group 7 before realizing my mistake :facepalm:
Original post by Ingamo
Pheww, yes I did shielding atomic radii etc. for the i.e question!

yes well done,im actaully fed up that people keep telling me my awnsers are wrong then i doubt myself when im actaully right :/

basically-
shell sheilding stays same
nuclear radii decreases
nuclear charge increase
nuclear attraction increases :smile:

for cl one:
group 2 down gets more reactive with cl
shells increase
nuclear charge increase
nuclear attraction inscreases
but same electrons on outer shell
atomic radi increases:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Can someone tell me what the question was where the answer was 360cm3 and how they got that answer? Thanks :smile:
Original post by jackitsme
yes well done,im actaully fed up that people keep telling me my awnsers are wrong then i doubt myself when im actaully right :/

basically-
shell sheilding stays same
nuclear radii decreases
nuclear charge increase
nuclear attraction increases :smile:

for cl one:
group 2 down gets more reactive with cl
shells increase
nuclear charge increase
nuclear attraction inscreases
but same electrons on outer shell
atomic radi increases:smile:

Nuclear Attraction Decreases
I'm pretty sure the grade boundaries will be lower than 49 in jan.This was much easier though but IF you didn't know the stuff you were screwed - 47 for an A I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yodawg321
Nuclear Attraction Decreases

no as you go down the group electron to protons increase thus the nuclear attraction increases ? or do you mean it decreases as in not able to attract outer electrons as much so the outer electrons are less stable and easyier to bond with
(edited 10 years ago)
is no one making a proper markscheme :/
no as you go down the group electron to protons increase thus the nuclear attraction increases ? or do you mean it decreases as in not able to attract outer electrons as much so the outer electrons are less stable and easyier to bond with

The charge increases, but the attraction decreases down a group.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1148
For litmus I put because it was exposed to cl2(g).
After doing some research and asking my chem teachers they said cl2 is acidic. Hoping its ok?
This will be my second post ever on The Student Room :biggrin:

Ok so guys I've retaken this paper today, I did it in june 2012 and january 2013. Miserably failing twice.
This year I worked a tonne load harder and I think it paid off! Todays exam was certainly not the ordinary nor did it fit the trend of previous past papers (see what I did there).

I'm still waiting for Unofficial mark scheme to check how I did, but from the discussion currently going on in this thread I can see that is extremely easy to lose marks here and there!

no as you go down the group electron to protons increase thus the nuclear attraction increases ?

Protons increase across a period, and this is effective due to similar amounts of shielding. However what you have stated is partially true, the amount of protons does increase down a group but the increased atomic radius and shielding counteract the increased nuclear charge(increase of protons). Therefore this is never really in the mark scheme if you mention protons increasing down the group.
Original post by Onkar-M
After doing some research and asking my chem teachers they said cl2 is acidic. Hoping its ok?

Sorry i'm not sure if you would get the mark for that, i think you'd have to actually mention an acid being produced. I got it wrong i got confused and said there was an alkaline present :mad:

Nuclear charge increases, nuclear attraction decreases, two different things mate
Original post by akhi_shaan
This will be my second post ever on The Student Room :biggrin:

Ok so guys I've retaken this paper today, I did it in june 2012 and january 2013. Miserably failing twice.
This year I worked a tonne load harder and I think it paid off! Todays exam was certainly not the ordinary nor did it fit the trend of previous past papers (see what I did there).

I'm still waiting for Unofficial mark scheme to check how I did, but from the discussion currently going on in this thread I can see that is extremely easy to lose marks here and there!

Protons increase across a period, and this is effective due to similar amounts of shielding. However what you have stated is partially true, the amount of protons does increase down a group but the increased atomic radius and shielding counteract the increased nuclear charge(increase of protons). Therefore this is never really in the mark scheme if you mention protons increasing down the group.

glad to be part in your first post :P
okay basically i wrote nuclear charge increases but i didnt say nuclear attraction inscreases,i just said cl bonds easier after saying nuclear charge increases :P

I don't think it would be correct because the question referred to the reaction that takes place and then the colour changing. This is satisfactory because the equation we created had HCL in the products. Thus the exact answer they would be looking for is regarding HCL (an acid) being produced.
BUT!
There could be a very little chance that may 'allow' that but I highly highly doubt it.
And speaking of nuclear charge I forgot to state that it gets outweighed by the shielding and radius increase :frown:(
Original post by kingmango
Sorry i'm not sure if you would get the mark for that, i think you'd have to actually mention an acid being produced. I got it wrong i got confused and said there was an alkaline present :mad:

H20 + Cl2 -> HClO + HCL

thats the equation for sure it was in past paper,
now HCL is acid and is made therefore the paper is red
glad to be part in your first post :P
okay basically i wrote nuclear charge increases but i didnt say nuclear attraction inscreases,i just said cl bonds easier after saying nuclear charge increases :P

I don't think you had to talk about Nuclear charge at all in the question. These are the points that needed to be mentioned for that question.

1. The reactivity of Group 2 with chlorine increases down the group.
2. As we go down the group there is increased amounts of Electron shielding.
3. Due to increase in the shells, the atomic radius becomes greater down the group.
4. These factors mean that there is weaker nuclear attraction to the outer most electron.
5. Thus making it easier for Cl which requires one electron to attract the outer electron in the metal.

I hope that makes sense :smile:
Original post by yodawg321
And speaking of nuclear charge I forgot to state that it gets outweighed by the shielding and radius increase :frown:(

you get marks just for saying nuclear charge increases and raduis increase and sheilding increases,they dont look for explanations expect for one of them you should say less attraction to outer electrons :smile: its a 4marker and qwc for written words,so you'll get 4 marks
H20 + Cl2 -> HClO + HCL

thats the equation for sure it was in past paper,
now HCL is acid and is made therefore the paper is red

I put the litmus paper turned red because of the HClO (Chloric acid) AND the HCL
Original post by akhi_shaan
I don't think you had to talk about Nuclear charge at all in the question. These are the points that needed to be mentioned for that question.

1. The reactivity of Group 2 with chlorine increases down the group.
2. As we go down the group there is increased amounts of Electron shielding.
3. Due to increase in the shells, the atomic radius becomes greater down the group.
4. These factors mean that there is weaker nuclear attraction to the outer most electron.
5. Thus making it easier for Cl which requires one electron to attract the outer electron in the metal.

I hope that makes sense :smile:

i said all that but talked about nuclear charge too :P

Latest

Trending

Trending