The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS History Unit 2 Wednesday 22nd May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Henry VIII was difficult. For the part A provenance, I was basically like 'Francis I was Catholic', 'Parliament was made up mostly of nobles' and 'The ambassador would have wanted to paint a realistic situation of the English' and then weighed them and concluded on this basis. Is this info correct?

Is this okay that I didn't include provenance in the paragraphs, only in the conclusion?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 261
Original post by sophtommo
May I discuss the "Crimean/Boer/WW1 paper"?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think the questions could have been better. I was really pleased with getting the Fenton/Russell one, as I predicted it would come up and read the chapter in the book before the exam :smile:

Really quite pleased and relieved now that it's over. Just one more exam (English) then I'm FREE.

I hope this thread and my help has been beneficial!
Anyone else do women? I really liked question A but I thibk my question B was pretty bad! The sources were basiLly knowledge so I didnt feel like I put enough knowled in :/
Reply 263
Original post by Goosegogs
The sources for the Wolsey question were useless! Except source 9 but it was so biased anyway! Got in as much own knowledge as I could, enclosure, justice, finance etc but hardly used the sources :/ Fingers crossed for low boundaries. However I felt part A went quite well! I'll probably be retaking if I don't get an A either :/ Good luck

I hated part A, I totally forgot to NOP :frown: I realised I completely FORGOT to mention Francis was a Catholic! I just talked about nobles plotting against Cromwell and discriminating against him! But I did imply that Francis was biased and misinformed; does that count? :frown: Good luck to you too!
Reply 264
Original post by Water_fall
Anyone else do women? I really liked question A but I thibk my question B was pretty bad! The sources were basiLly knowledge so I didnt feel like I put enough knowled in :/

I did the women's paper, Qa) was lovely about militant suffragettes, the sources clearly disagreed with source 12 and it was really easy to identify this.

Question b) was a mixed bag for me, depending on what part you did I can't comment on both as I only did education, education they told us a fair amount but you could still expand these points further to secure high levels, I used the fact that Cambridge had opened its examinations to the fact that Millicents daughter was the first woman to receive a top core in her mathematical tripos exam, and as well as the first source where they talked about working class opportunities,
I expanded this onto the education acts and the provision of the school boards, as well as the last source where this ''good mothers'' thing was expressed I could link that to the fact that frances mary buss praised the dutiful good daughter.

I felt like I was repeating myself a few times though, and the sources were fairly challenging to cross reference
Reply 265
Did anyone do british political history 1830-1885?
Reply 266
Original post by CarysMoo
I hated part A, I totally forgot to NOP :frown: I realised I completely FORGOT to mention Francis was a Catholic! I just talked about nobles plotting against Cromwell and discriminating against him! But I did imply that Francis was biased and misinformed; does that count? :frown: Good luck to you too!

That sounds like it would count! I wrote about how he pushed the limits too far and was too protestant but sources 2 and 3 suggested his downfall was also due to resentment from the nobles as well. :smile:
Reply 267
Original post by Goosegogs
That sounds like it would count! I wrote about how he pushed the limits too far and was too protestant but sources 2 and 3 suggested his downfall was also due to resentment from the nobles as well. :smile:

I basically talked a lot about treason and the nobles but how the sources use his religion as a cover-up. I hope I managed to get 16. :frown: A low level 4 over all should be an A. I looked up the grade boundaries and 43/44 is an A usually, so that's definitely doable, right?!
Anyone do Cold War?!!!
Reply 269
I found the B question fantastic, but I struggled with the A question (I did the women question by the way). Basically, I wrote about how the sources strongly disagreed with the source mentioned in the question (the source said women's suffrage hindered the movement, the other sources thought it helped because it brought publicity). In this I also did some really strong provenance analysis, the best I've ever done in previous essays etc. But then I struggled to know what I was meant to do, because I thought for an A question you had to have agree and disagree, so I did a paragraph on how one of the sources slightly agreed with the source given in the question, in that it highlighted that there was opposition to the violent tactics (the suffragettes were 'flung out' from a meeting). Is that right? Panicking here!
I basically talked a lot about treason and the nobles but how the sources use his religion as a cover-up. I hope I managed to get 16. :frown: A low level 4 over all should be an A. I looked up the grade boundaries and 43/44 is an A usually, so that's definitely doable, right?!

Do you think it would have been acceptable to talk about how maybe Henry felt that he was having too much power? Used the words "naughty and ill-fated" and something else. Is this okay? X
Reply 271
Original post by PennyTBBT
I found the B question fantastic, but I struggled with the A question (I did the women question by the way). Basically, I wrote about how the sources strongly disagreed with the source mentioned in the question (the source said women's suffrage hindered the movement, the other sources thought it helped because it brought publicity). In this I also did some really strong provenance analysis, the best I've ever done in previous essays etc. But then I struggled to know what I was meant to do, because I thought for an A question you had to have agree and disagree, so I did a paragraph on how one of the sources slightly agreed with the source given in the question, in that it highlighted that there was opposition to the violent tactics (the suffragettes were 'flung out' from a meeting). Is that right? Panicking here!

Yup I said they were flung out, caused public outrage, hindered movement as well as saying the utility of source 10 is limited and so strengthens source 12. Then I talked about source 11 being very reliable as it was from Millicent Fawcett, of whom clearly stated the WSPU had achieved far more than the NUWSS
Reply 272
Did anyone do the british nationalist challenged in india paper?
Reply 273
did anyone do Britain 1945-1990?
Reply 274
Original post by ArtisticFlair
Do you think it would have been acceptable to talk about how maybe Henry felt that he was having too much power? Used the words "naughty and ill-fated" and something else. Is this okay? X

I think so - It was kind of hinted by the end of source 1 and source 2? :smile:
Reply 275

Definitely doable! Really hope I got in the top band too, because my part B was so bad :frown: Completely forgot how to even answer one
Reply 276
Original post by sophtommo
I did Russell/Fenton too because I applied the WHOLE of the Crimean War to it, not even exaggerating I felt like a boss with my knowledge my revision totally paid off! The Somme question would have been fine to do, but my tactic of not revising the Boer War was one of the best things I might have ever done :smile:

ooh nice, I sort of did that, did nightingale the charge of the light brigade and the Russian winter reporting (or lack of). Usually I have trouble getting enough own knowledge in but Russell and Fenton are just easy,one of the first things I was taught and I remembered it :biggrin: didn't really like the sources for it though, hope I used them enough :/
Reply 277
Original post by Mr Faust
I don't think the questions could have been better. I was really pleased with getting the Fenton/Russell one, as I predicted it would come up and read the chapter in the book before the exam :smile:

Really quite pleased and relieved now that it's over. Just one more exam (English) then I'm FREE.

I hope this thread and my help has been beneficial!

your predictions actually helped me a lot. I went over Russell and Fenton before the exam (well I went over everything you had predicted actually cos I realised I didn't know much haha) which must have helped :smile:
Reply 278
Original post by kate3
your predictions actually helped me a lot. I went over Russell and Fenton before the exam (well I went over everything you had predicted actually cos I realised I didn't know much haha) which must have helped :smile:

I'm glad :smile: good luck on Results Day!
Original post by kate3
ooh nice, I sort of did that, did nightingale the charge of the light brigade and the Russian winter reporting (or lack of). Usually I have trouble getting enough own knowledge in but Russell and Fenton are just easy,one of the first things I was taught and I remembered it :biggrin: didn't really like the sources for it though, hope I used them enough :/
i got the introduction of the Victoria Cross from Russell suggesting his reports were realistic as he felt soldiers needed to be reward :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending