The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

aaaand does anyone have the paper by any chance?!
Reply 1181
Original post by Freddy-Francis
He got mixed up with the questions :biggrin:

Phew!
Reply 1182
Original post by Nermin Hayek
did he say anything about the intermolecular forces in PH3 cos I think I got that one wrong
also I'm guessing 49/50 out of 60 because it was quite hard but grade boundaries in chem are usually high

I think he said that was permanent dipole-dipole. I put VdW and then went on to explain why VdW is weaker than H-Bonding and he said I might get ECF (error carried forward)
(edited 10 years ago)
Anyone working on an unofficial mark scheme? I thought this paper was lovely! And hopefully that means I've done better than the two C's I've got thus far haha
Original post by LH78
I think he said that was induced dipole-dipole. I put VdW and then went on to explain why VdW is weaker than H-Bonding and he said I might get ECF (error carried forward)

Yh I did the same as you the second part was only one mark right?
Reply 1185
Sorry, can someone quote the question that gave 360cm3 please? I honestly can't remember any of my answers being that, though I answered all the questions and I think my mind may have just blocked that question.

(Stupid time pressure - couldn't find Si in the Periodic Table for ages!XD)
Reply 1186
For everybody saying about the PH3 question, I'd say it's permanent dipoles, as the lone pair on the P makes the molecule non-symmetrical, and so the dipoles make the molecule polar. VDW forces are always present though.
Reply 1187

I think they mean permanent dipole-dipole, as Induced Dipoles are Van Der Waals' forces.
Original post by sesrugeda
I thought that mol x avagadro constant = number of atoms, not number of molecules?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You might be right. Did the question ask for the number of molecules? And how many marks was the question worth? If it was worth 3 marks, you're probably right because I don't think you'd get 3 marks just for working out the number of moles and multiplying by avagadro's constant. You probably had to divide the answer by 5 to get the number of molecules (if that's what the question asked for).

What did you get as your answer?
Reply 1189

Yeah.
Original post by Zakee
I think they mean permanent dipole-dipole, as Induced Dipoles are Van Der Waals' forces.

Yh permanent dipole to dipole
Reply 1191
Original post by Ferrari_1996
You might be right. Did the question ask for the number of molecules? And how many marks was the question worth? If it was worth 3 marks, you're probably right because I don't think you'd get 3 marks just for working out the number of moles and multiplying by avagadro's constant. You probably had to divide the answer by 5 to get the number of molecules (if that's what the question asked for).

What did you get as your answer?

There were 0.05(?) moles SiCl4 irregardless of the number of atoms, so the number of molecules will be n x NA.
Reply 1192
Yh permanent dipole to dipole

PH3 bonds intermolecularly by permanent dipole-dipole interactions due to it's asymmetric shape and polar bonds, and so is a polar molecule.
Original post by Funtry
There were 0.05(?) moles SiCl4 irregardless of the number of atoms, so the number of molecules will be n x NA.

Multiplying the number of moles by avagadro's constant gives you the right answer? If so, that's good, because that's what I did :smile:
Reply 1194
Original post by Funtry

The question was testing your understanding that you can have moles of anything (in response to the previous poster before you).

I think, (from memory), you had something like this:

Number of moles = m/RMM

Number of moles = 0.05 moles.

0.05 x 6.02 x 10^23 = 3.01 x 10^22 molecules.
Reply 1195
Original post by Ferrari_1996
Multiplying the number of moles by avagadro's constant gives you the right answer? If so, that's good, because that's what I did :smile:

Yes, as you can almost treat the molecules as atoms if you like. If you had 1 mole of Helium atoms, it would be the same number of molecules as 1 mole of O2 molecules and yet twice the number of atoms. It asked for the number of molecules not atoms.
Original post by Funtry
PH3 bonds intermolecularly by permanent dipole-dipole interactions due to it's asymmetric shape and polar bonds, and so is a polar molecule.

Ahh thank you i definitely got that wrong
Reply 1197
Original post by Zakee
The question was testing your understanding that you can have moles of anything (in response to the previous poster before you).

I think, (from memory), you had something like this:

Number of moles = m/RMM

Number of moles = 0.05 moles.

0.05 x 6.02 x 10^23 = 3.01 x 10^22 molecules.

That's what I got :smile:

Seemed too little for 3 marks!
Reply 1198
Ahh thank you i definitely got that wrong

No problem, you may have gotten a mark for VDW forces, as everything technically has slight VDW forces between them, but I'd doubt you'd get full marks. Was it a 1 or 2 mark question?
Reply 1199
Original post by Funtry
That's what I got :smile:

Seemed too little for 3 marks!

I think one mark was for n = m/RMM, one mark was for multiplying by avagadro's, and also one mark was to show whether or not you realized what a mole actually was an you didn't need to multiply by 4. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending