The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NoMathsPlease
First two are good. If I'm honest the last one seems way too far fetched to me and unconvincing, but it's not gonna mark you down and they'll like the effort of talking about poetic structure :smile:

yes thank you! I thought the cyclical one was far fetched but that's good if it isnt! :colondollar:
Am I doing English Lit ? In January I sat an exam on Of Mice And Men as well as An Inspector Calls, just today it was Romeo & Juliet + Animal Farm
Everyone's unseen ideas are so original! All I wrote about was:
How the enjambment makes the poem hard to read and may represent how the mother is overwhelmed by her daughter growing up.
I then went on to analyze the word 'waiting' saying that it shows how the mother realises that she has to let go of her daughter which is why she isn't going after her but she is still 'waiting' because she can't let go entirely and will be there for her daughter when she needs her.
Next I talked about how the repetition of 'pumping' which draws you're attention to the next to lines 'for your life, screaming/with laughter.' I wrote about how screaming and with laughter being on different lines could be interpreted as meaning that the mother wishes she could say her daughter was screaming as she rode away, not wanting to leave and kind of wants the reader to believe for a moment that her daughter was screaming. I think that's a bit far fetched though hahah.
Finally I talked about the imagery at the very end, with the simile about her hair being like a handkerchief. I related to the connotations of the imagery, talking about a war time kind of image of people saying goodbye to loved ones not sure if they'll ever see them alive again. I said that this suggests that the mother feels as though she won't see her daughter anymore know she's growing up. I threw in a quick comment about it staying with the reader as the lasting image as it's at the end and kind of sums up what the mother's trying to put across throughout it all.
I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to get as many marks as I'd hope with the points I made after reading other peoples but hopefully I'll do okay.
Original post by Olympiad
Your writing must be big then?
Quality over quantity!
I wrote 3 and a bit sides with my small writing which seems good.
Wrote two and a bit for the unseen

I wrote pretty much the same as you! My writing is small-average.

Did the relationships cluster, quite relieved that the poems were okay.
Okay, so was it really weird of me to compare "The Yellow Palm" with "Mametz Wood"? They seemed a really obvious choice, but I haven't found anyone else who did them...
Reply 2665
errh! everyone did sonnet 116 , did anyone do born yesterday?

i compared it with ghazal , is that too far fetched?

I dont know what I was thinking!
Reply 2666
I don't know what to think. Everyone else found it pretty easy, but I was more in the middle. I chose The Yellow Palm and Mametz Wood, which was ok, but I basically ran out of time. I only did two paragraphs for the unseen poem, I couldn't get anything from it except from 'grew smaller' being oxymoronic, showing that the Mother feels her daughter growing up isn't right, and 'sprinted to catch up' showing that she feels her daughter is leaving her behind. Didn't explain it very well.

I was really hoping one of the questions would be Out of the Blue, because it still hasn't come up and I thought it was very likely this year. Oh well.
Oh my god guys help...I can't believe it I've just realised I wrote about feelings about growing up instead of the mother's feelings! Am I going to get zero...?
Original post by Mallory

Nop. Last year I did foundation paper and compared Ghazal to Praise song for my Mother.
Got full marks (though it was foundation)
What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be both both papers?
Original post by Mallory

What were your points? I don't think it's that farfetched. Don't panic :smile:
Reply 2671
Original post by cleveradam
Nop. Last year I did foundation paper and compared Ghazal to Praise song for my Mother.
Got full marks (though it was foundation)

thanks , that helped ,

but does ghazal have anything to do with dreams and hope?
Original post by DanTheMan358
What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be both both papers?

Can't speak for unit 4, but for the poetry, for the past 3 series they've stuck with:
37 - A*
30 - A
23 - B
16 - C
Some say they might move it up because of the unseen. Maybe add a mark or two to each of those, then perhaps come results day you can be pleasantly surprised. :P
Reply 2673
Original post by TelephoneBox
What were your points? I don't think it's that farfetched. Don't panic :smile:

I mentioned how thay both use natural imagiery , however born yesterday uses it in satarical way

I mentioned how both dont have an apparebt rhyme scheme

i mntioned how enjambmet is used in both and I mentions how juxpositions and oxymorons are used in both

to be honest I think I probaly made half of the theories up!
Original post by Mallory
I mentioned how thay both use natural imagiery , however born yesterday uses it in satarical way

I mentioned how both dont have an apparebt rhyme scheme

i mntioned how enjambmet is used in both and I mentions how juxpositions and oxymorons are used in both

to be honest I think I probaly made half of the theories up!

Yeah you could definitely talk about those. They aren't as strong as some points admittedly but definitely don't think it went badly because as long as you have backed up your work with some analysis (which you must have done to make such perceptive points) you'll be fine. :biggrin:
Original post by TelephoneBox
I wrote pretty much the same as you! My writing is small-average.

Did the relationships cluster, quite relieved that the poems were okay.

Same I did sonnet 116 & 43

I memorised an essay on that :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JustaDreamer
Oh my god guys help...I can't believe it I've just realised I wrote about feelings about growing up instead of the mother's feelings! Am I going to get zero...?

Anyone? :frown:
Original post by Olympiad
Same I did sonnet 116 & 43

I memorised an essay on that :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good job it came up then :biggrin:

I did Sonnet 116 and Hour. :smile:
Reply 2678

probably not , its down to interpretation

You won't get 0. They mark it in 3 "strands".
The first is the ideas and themes. Maybe not so well on this one if you didn't answer the question properly, but you should still get something.
But the other two are detail and language/structure/form/etc, so if you've said good stuff about those, then your mark will still be fine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending