The Student Room Group

Drove away from a parking ticket

So me and my brother went to get a quick coffee from Starbucks, parked accidentally in a business permit bay but didn't realise. I came back literally 5 minutes later and saw I was getting a parking ticket! :eek:

I tried to explain that it was an accident, I wouldn't do it again and it was only for 5 minutes, but he said I'm not allowed to park and so carried on giving me a ticket. I quickly got in and drove off so he didn't manage to physically give me the ticket.
I'm not sure how far he got in giving me a ticket so I'm hoping I don't get a letter in the post. Has this happened to anyone else?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dan-dream-boys
So me and my brother went to get a quick coffee from Starbucks, parked accidentally in a business permit bay but didn't realise. I came back literally 5 minutes later and saw I was getting a parking ticket! :eek:

I tried to explain that it was an accident, I wouldn't do it again and it was only for 5 minutes, but he said I'm not allowed to park and so carried on giving me a ticket. I quickly got in and drove off so he didn't manage to physically give me the ticket.
I'm not sure how far he got in giving me a ticket so I'm hoping I don't get a letter in the post. Has this happened to anyone else?

It hasn't happened to me, but if he managed to write your number plate down then that ticket will come through the post.
Reply 2

Unlikely,They take a picture with the ticket on the windscreen, without that, you can easily contest it quite easily even if it did come through the post.
Reply 3
They'll just send you a Reg 10 PCN (via post) rather than a Reg 9 PCN (on windscreen). It's no biggie for them.

Seriously no point in driving away from a ticket, it's better to keep still as you can then take your own pictures for any appeal. By driving away you've only put yourself at a disadvantage really.
One of the first things they do is take pictures, which will include the number plate - so they can prove the offence occurred. Even if you drive away, as long as they have your reg number, then you will get a ticket through the post.
Reply 5
It's classified as a VDA - (vehicle driven away). Not enforceable.
Edit: Without physically handing you the ticket or attaching it to your windscreen it's not enforceable - to elucidate slightly.
Original post by Né Stig
It's classified as a VDA - (vehicle driven away). Not enforceable.
Edit: Without physically handing you the ticket or attaching it to your windscreen it's not enforceable - to elucidate slightly.

Negative - under The Civil Enforcement of Parking Contraventions (England) General Regulations 2007, 10(c) they can post the ticket.

10.—(1) An enforcement authority may serve a penalty charge notice by post where—
(a)on the basis of a record produced by an approved device, the authority has reason to believe that a penalty charge is payable with respect to a vehicle which is stationary in a civil enforcement area;
(b)a civil enforcement officer attempted to serve a penalty charge notice in accordance with regulation 9 but was prevented from doing so by some person; or
(c)a civil enforcement officer had begun to prepare a penalty charge notice for service in accordance with regulation 9, but the vehicle concerned was driven away from the place in which it was stationary before the civil enforcement officer had finished preparing the penalty charge notice or had served it in accordance with regulation 9,
Reply 7

Should you been writing this post? consider it ends up in court, etc and they use this thread as evidence
Private or council?
Reply 9
Original post by College_Dropout
Private or council?

QFT.
Your plan of action, OP, if/when something drops through the door will be quite different depending on the answer to the question.
I assuming this is council, given this appears to be on a public road (nothing suggests car park).
Reply 11
I've always been told if its not on your car its not enforceable, but it seems different from what the people are saying here. Hope you get lucky and dont receive anything about it however.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep it was council - anyway I shall just wait and see if it comes. Even if it does come it's only a £40 fine, so not the end of the world :smile:
Reply 13
Well played mate, you may have got away with this one. I had one the other week where the guy was looking at my car and I pressed the central locking as I ran back to the car and he just walked off.
Reply 14
Pretty sure with parking tickets out have to agree a contract to pay them, just send them a letter saying you politely decline to contract with them. Council don't own property they hold it in trust for the public. Don't pay
Original post by Zyyz
Pretty sure with parking tickets out have to agree a contract to pay them, just send them a letter saying you politely decline to contract with them. Council don't own property they hold it in trust for the public. Don't pay

The council have the right to fine you. Although it is decriminalised, it still is a fine, as opposed to an invoice (which is the case with private parking company tickets).

As such, not paying will end up with a court date, and if you don't attend / pay (the much increased fine) then you will get a visit from the bailiffs.
(edited 10 years ago)
Well it has been a week now and I've not heard anything yet, so things are looking good :biggrin::biggrin:
Well it has been a week now and I've not heard anything yet, so things are looking good :biggrin::biggrin:

So basically you evaded justice. Seriously why did you drive away and not take the responsibility of your actions?

I've never driven away from an accident nor did I flee when a cop pulled me over for speeding.
Reply 18

You're not safe till past 12 days tbh, I've received fines after a week has gone by.
Original post by MsCourtney
So basically you evaded justice. Seriously why did you drive away and not take the responsibility of your actions?

I've never driven away from an accident nor did I flee when a cop pulled me over for speeding.

Have you been banned from driving yet?
Original post by Yawn11
You're not safe till past 12 days tbh, I've received fines after a week has gone by.

Have you been banned from driving yet?

Have you been arrested for hate crime?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending