The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2720
Original post by mariaaaa12
in the mark scheme it says to evaluate, what does it mean by this???

It means instead of writing, "there is a lot of assonance in the first half of the poem"
You write:
"Pastan effectively makes use of assonance in the first half of her poem in order to slow down its pace."

Or instead of writing:
"Smith uses mostly simple language in his poem"
You write:
"Smith makes use of simpler linguistics, and this is appropriate because..."

At least, that's what I've made sure to do anyway...
Reply 2721
Original post by HollyW43
It does have enjambment! "don't hang- on my lips"

does it really , thank goodness , because in my revision notes it says it does'nt .....
Original post by fs1996
anyone else do the PLACE question about IMAGERY and CHANGE in Wild Swans at Coole and another poem?

If so what did you do?

I did the moment

I did Below the Green Corrie. Basically I went on about how there is a sense of nostalgia in WSaC and that the change has already happened - the transition from young and innocent to old and world-weary; whereas in BGC the change happens within the poem and is a lot less subtle, and is portrayed with vivid metaphorical imagery.
I only did two pages though, and I'm really worried that it's not enough.

For the unseen poem, I immediately noticed that the author seemed to be stuck in that nightmare state where you are trying to run as fast as you can and yet it's like you're underwater. I went on to say how this represents the mother feeling like she's being left behind as her daughter grows up and becomes more independent, and how the mother still wants to care for her daughter like a little child, and how she is anxious for the future: has she brought her daughter up well enough? Will her daughter be successful? - etc.
There's also the obvious comparison of the process of growing up and learning to ride a bike - when you are a child, you are constantly learning and only just getting to grips with the world; you're making your hesitant way forward guided by adults (like stabilisers on a bike) and as you grow up you are becoming more skilled and more fluent in handling new situations and you don't need adults so much; you are independent. Meanwhile, I mentioned the reluctance of the mother to let go of her daughter and let her be independent - 'empty nest syndrome'.
Original post by Srf123
Ah that sounds good! I mentioned for both that they show emotional destruction- the yellow palm about the muezzin and Belfast confetti about him stuttering. Then about how it causes destruction of natural world in yellow palm-barbarian sun and man made destruction in Belfast confetti- about the labyrinth :P

Sounds good aswell!nd yehh i mentioned the 'labyrinth' aswell:smile:
I did TKAM and AIC, as well as Moon on the Tides. The lit paper on the 20th was so lovely :smile: Everyone seemed to do the ending question out of my friends though! The Eric one was so perfect!
Alright, since people are talking about Lit I assume it's okay -

I PREDICTED IT WOULD BE SONNET 116 AND BORN YESTERDAY :biggrin:

Compared 116 and Born Yesterday on the 116 question, because I've done the exact same question on a past paper earlier this week. Was a nice paper! I liked the unseen.
Original post by LucyTheWeird
I did Below the Green Corrie. Basically I went on about how there is a sense of nostalgia in WSaC and that the change has already happened - the transition from young and innocent to old and world-weary; whereas in BGC the change happens within the poem and is a lot less subtle, and is portrayed with vivid metaphorical imagery.
I only did two pages though, and I'm really worried that it's not enough.

For the unseen poem, I immediately noticed that the author seemed to be stuck in that nightmare state where you are trying to run as fast as you can and yet it's like you're underwater. I went on to say how this represents the mother feeling like she's being left behind as her daughter grows up and becomes more independent, and how the mother still wants to care for her daughter like a little child, and how she is anxious for the future: has she brought her daughter up well enough? Will her daughter be successful? - etc.
There's also the obvious comparison of the process of growing up and learning to ride a bike - when you are a child, you are constantly learning and only just getting to grips with the world; you're making your hesitant way forward guided by adults (like stabilisers on a bike) and as you grow up you are becoming more skilled and more fluent in handling new situations and you don't need adults so much; you are independent. Meanwhile, I mentioned the reluctance of the mother to let go of her daughter and let her be independent - 'empty nest syndrome'.

Was she really moving slowly like in sleep paralysis? I assumed she was just not able to keep up with a bike pedalling at full speed, which seems pretty normal.
Thank God English Lit is finished :woo::woo::woo::woo::woo:
Original post by JustaDreamer
*Faints spontaneously*

God, I know! I figured 3 and 2 was enough! :P
Original post by randomm1
was i the only one that compared the river god to les grands seigneurs?

I did! So glad Im not the only one! What did you talk about?
Original post by Mallory
errh! everyone did sonnet 116 , did anyone do born yesterday?

i compared it with ghazal , is that too far fetched?

I dont know what I was thinking!

First I stupidly went and done sonnet 116 to hour
Then changed my mind with 15 minutes left and decided to do Born Yesterday compared to Nettles
Reply 2731
I did the Relationships cluster & I'm sososo happy that Sonnet 116 came up!

I compared Sonnet 116 with To His Coy Mistress and said how love isn't affected by beauty in S116 but is in THCM, love isn't impacted by time in S116 but is in THCM, and I compared the ideas presented on the types of love in each poem (i.e. Sonnet 116 shows romantic love; THCM shows physical + more sinister love).

Did anyone else compare Sonnet 116 with THCM? :smile:
Original post by paradoxicalme
God, I know! I figured 3 and 2 was enough! :P

Ikr, I wonder how people write so fast :s-smilie:
Original post by NoMathsPlease
Was she really moving slowly like in sleep paralysis? I assumed she was just not able to keep up with a bike pedalling at full speed, which seems pretty normal.

Not necessarily that; it's just the vibe I got - just an interpretation :smile:
Reply 2734
Original post by ThatGirlx
First I stupidly went and done sonnet 116 to hour
Then changed my mind with 15 minutes left and decided to do Born Yesterday compared to Nettles

I now wish i compared it with nettles:mad: , i used ghazal and my essay way shocking
Reply 2735
Original post by Ryan075
Sorry to point this out, but you are like the fifth ryan on this thread. I have been on it a few days now. It's kinda weird, but cool at the same time!!!

Best of luck with the exam! :smile:

Hahaha its a bit strange tbh and cheers, hope you did well! Sorry for the late reply, for some reason i haven't noticed the message until now:s-smilie:
Original post by Elm Tree
Thank God English Lit is finished :woo::woo::woo::woo::woo:

I still have it for A-level! (well, hopefully) :biggrin:
Reply 2737
Original post by LucyTheWeird
Not necessarily that; it's just the vibe I got - just an interpretation :smile:

thats a really intelligent interpretation!, wow the examiners are probably going to love reading yours
Original post by la-uren
I did the Relationships cluster & I'm sososo happy that Sonnet 116 came up!

I compared Sonnet 116 with To His Coy Mistress and said how love isn't affected by beauty in S116 but is in THCM, love isn't impacted by time in S116 but is in THCM, and I compared the ideas presented on the types of love in each poem (i.e. Sonnet 116 shows romantic love; THCM shows physical + more sinister love).

Did anyone else compare Sonnet 116 with THCM? :smile:

I can see them working, although how you'd put similarities boggles me.

My friend compared Born Yesterday and THCM O.O.
Reply 2739
Did anyone else compare born yesterday to praise song for my mother it's seems like no one else did

i said that different metaphors are used in each to reprisented what wises were granted "you were the moons eye to me"suggests her mum granted and was the wish she guided her through life allowing her future hope I then said in born yesterday that " tightly folded bud shows the man believes he has a long time to grant the child wishes and can grant many as the work "tightly" suggests the flower is yet to open and it's fate is yet to be decided

does this seem right anyone ?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending