The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ecosse_14
It's up to you really. I just wouldn't lock yourself in your room and not speak to anyone for the whole of freshers. If you're in catered then you'll obviously meet people at meals and just remember all the first years will be in the same situation as you.

Great, thank you :smile: I wasn't planning on locking myself in my room all week but I'll definitely need some alone time :P
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Have you used any of the advertised storage companies? Are they reliable? Can you recommend anyone?
Reply 7962
Thanks a lot for your reply, Ecosse_14.

Furthermore, I would like to know how flexible really choosing the 3rd subject is. Well, I am interested in: International Relations (first option), Psychology or Computer Science.

I already read that especially for IR it is not guaranteed as it is heavily oversubscribed. So is it really that rare that somebody can take it as third subject? (How does the ballot system work ?). Because I am not sure whether IR wouldn't be better even for the degree I would like to know how hard it is to switch it to the degree after the first year.
Reply 7963
Hi there :smile:
i was just wondering if somebody could just talk me through the first few days/week of being at St. Andrews?

any advice about moving in?
any must have items for the first few weeks?
what events the university puts on?

thank you :smile:
Just wondering, do people seem to get sick a lot (especially in the halls)? If a few people in the hall have the flu or a stomach bug will the whole hall get it? I have a massive fear of illness, so living with so many people that won't be as fastidious with their sanitizing/hand washing/surface disinfecting as me is terrifying...
Original post by ElizabethRG
Thanks. They want to go to Edinburgh for a day anyway; my mum loves it there, so they're just picking up whatever I need while they're there.

I've never been away from my parents before, so I'm anxious to keep them with me as long as possible :P

Re getting supplies as an international student, Argos (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Home.htm?sRefURL=http%3A//www.google.com/url%3Fsa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3Dargos%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D1%26ved%3D0CC8QFjAA%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.argos.co.uk%252F%26ei%3DIm-ZUbuwBe66yAHb9YCYAw%26usg%3DAFQjCNHwZPK390oBnNdjYbKxvRT_3WTi1g%26bvm%3Dbv.46751780%2Cd.aWc ) has a good selection of sheets, duvets, towels, storage bins, etc. -- you can buy from their location in St. Andrews but I'd recommend you order ahead online and arrange pick up when you arrive. Amazon.co.uk is a good bet too -- altho you have to arrange for delivery a few days after you move it to halls, so not the best bet for immediate needs. Surprisingly, Tesco's (local grocery store in St. A's) has a decent selection of towels, glasses, cookware, etc.) too.

And this may sound bizarre but if you are in a standard catered hall where the bed will be a single/twin, consider getting a "double" duvet and duvet cover (but still single/twin sheets for the mattress itself) because the single duvets only really cover the top of the bed (i.e. they don't drape down over the sides) which can be a bit chilly if you aren't used to it..

Finally, I messaged you about being away from your parents for the first time (as I am a parent of an American there). Good luck!
Hello :-)

Could somebody please tell me what those "Reporting" days and the inter-semester week are for?
And do we need to attend them?

I'm just asking because I'm trying to plan some placements....

Thanks a lot :-)
Original post by Welsh Lady
Hello :-)

Could somebody please tell me what those "Reporting" days and the inter-semester week are for?
And do we need to attend them?

I'm just asking because I'm trying to plan some placements....

Thanks a lot :-)

Reporting is just something for your lecturers to do with exam grades and things like that, you don't need to do anything there. And inter-semester is a break between the 2 semesters, so you can go off and do whatever you want in that time.
Hi there, been accepted to the Sutton trust summer school at St. Andrews and I was wondering if people could tell me anything about St. Regulus halls?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
I have a question for those studying modern languages at St As and who are familiar with the Scottish education system. I am currently sitting my Higher exams am considering applying for German and Russian later on this year. I recently checked on the website and it stated that the minimum entry requirements are AABB for that specific course. I was originally aiming for AAAAB as a minimum this year, but because I think I've mucked up 2 of my exams I think I'm going to be getting AAABB at the most. Now, I am aware that this exceeds the entry requirements, but I also know that St As is very good for languages and there will be many applicants who will probably have a stronger academic record than I have. Would that set of results make me a weak applicant unlikely to be offered a place, even if I wrote a good PS? :s
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I am currently sitting my Higher exams am considering applying for German and Russian later on this year. I recently checked on the website and it stated that the minimum entry requirements are AABB for that specific course.

Hi,

I can't comment specifically for Modern Languages as I am an Admissions Officer in Computer Science. I would just like to point out that the entry requirements for most of our courses, including Modern Languages, have been raised to AAAB for 2014 entry. The prospectus has been updated but for some reason this information has not yet been populated to the other course pages.
Original post by St Andrews CompSci
Hi,

I can't comment specifically for Modern Languages as I am an Admissions Officer in Computer Science. I would just like to point out that the entry requirements for most of our courses, including Modern Languages, have been raised to AAAB for 2014 entry. The prospectus has been updated but for some reason this information has not yet been populated to the other course pages.

I apologise if I come across as very thick, but what would the requirement for the 5th higher be? Would it be AAAB for 4 highers and AAABB for 5 highers? :smile:
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I apologise if I come across as very thick, but what would the requirement for the 5th higher be? Would it be AAAB for 4 highers and AAABB for 5 highers? :smile:

Our minimum requirement is for four Highers at AAAB. AAABB would not meet this.

Okay, thank you. :redface:

Would not meet it? Surely you have met the minimum requirements of AAAB and have also gained an extra Higher B if you achieved AAABB?
Sorry. I misread it as AABBB. AAABB would indeed meet the requirements. In Computer Science we would only make an offer of AAAB. I can't speak for other Schools and you should contact the appropriate Admissions Officer.
Sorry. I misread it as AABBB. AAABB would indeed meet the requirements. In Computer Science we would only make an offer of AAAB. I can't speak for other Schools and you should contact the appropriate Admissions Officer.

Nice, thanks for the clarification :yy:

Thank you for clarifying and I shall try to get in touch with the university ! :smile:
Original post by Ecosse_14
Nice, thanks for the clarification :yy:

Mistakes like these are why we have three Admissions Officers read all our applications! :smile:
Hello there!

I'm afraid I have got quite an embarrassing problem :frown:
I have created my password for the IT services and despite
having written it down immediately it doesn't work
when I try to log into this SaintMail thingy.

What should I do now? :afraid:

Thanks a million!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending