The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2380
Original post by Scientific Eye
I would have broken the six up from the first equation into
Unparseable latex formula:

(3 \times 2)^x^-^1

and then use the distributive property. The 2x 2^x's cancel out after some manipulation, leaving you with just one number with an x x as an exponent.

Then you can just take log3 \log_3 of both sides.

Thank you :smile: I get it now, I made it more complex than it was the first time LOOL, also I didn't know you could split it up like that :')

Ended up doing it now :biggrin: Thank you everyone
(edited 10 years ago)
Lost marks on this question...

Don't know where I went wrong...

1935x+4dx\int_{1}^{9} \frac{3}{\sqrt{5x+4}} dx

I did:

1369334177444.jpg
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Lost marks on this question...

Don't know where I went wrong...

1935x+4dx\int_{1}^{9} \frac{3}{\sqrt{5x+4}} dx

I did:

1369334177444.jpg

You multiplied by a half rather than dividing by a half. :smile:
EDIT: When integrating that is :tongue:
Original post by joostan
You multiplied by a half rather than dividing by a half. :smile:

Realised as soon as I posted! :rofl:

Those were the only marks I lost :colonhash: ****ing shame :lol:
Realised as soon as I posted! :rofl:

Those were the only marks I lost :colonhash: ****ing shame :lol:

Haha - it's not the best way to lose marks.

Spoiler

Original post by joostan

Spoiler

Damn, my UMS would have been... 94 if I gave myself 0/5 for it.

:lol: unlucky :colone:

I'm gonna make sure I scrutinize over everything

The easiest check for integration questions is to differentiate and make sure get the same thing as before.

I'm such a noob at times :redface:
Original post by joostan

Spoiler

Is there a good way to lose marks, though? :tongue:
Original post by justinawe
Is there a good way to lose marks, though? :tongue:

Not really, but there's a difference between not knowing the answer and just doing something stupid :biggrin:
Original post by joostan
Not really, but there's a difference between not knowing the answer and just doing something stupid :biggrin:

To be honest, I'd rather lose marks to something stupid than have to admit I was unable to solve an A-level question :colonhash:
Original post by justinawe
To be honest, I'd rather lose marks to something stupid than have to admit I was unable to solve an A-level question :colonhash:

True :tongue:

Spoiler

Someone give me some lovely Maths to do, I'm sure I've seen some good questions being posted on here today but I'm not too sure which pages :-/
Original post by MathsNerd1
Someone give me some lovely Maths to do, I'm sure I've seen some good questions being posted on here today but I'm not too sure which pages :-/

Prove that, if a constant force acts on a body, then the work done by the force is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the body.
Original post by Scientific Eye
The easiest check for integration questions is to differentiate and make sure get the same thing as before.

Yeah, I did that and found why!:tongue:
Original post by joostan
I'm such a noob at times :redface:

You and me both :five:
Original post by DJMayes
Prove that, if a constant force acts on a body, then the work done by the force is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the body.

Hmm, I'm not sure with that as I'm not too strong in the Mechanics section but I'd probably start by drawing a diagram and going from there?

There's one on 111, one on 113 and a logs one on 110 (I think.) For once you finish DJ's problem. :smile:
Original post by joostan
There's one on 111, one on 113 and a logs one on 110 (I think.) For once you finish DJ's problem. :smile:

Thanks and to be honest I can't really get anywhere with DJ's question as I'm not too confident in proving things in Mechanics :-/
Thanks and to be honest I can't really get anywhere with DJ's question as I'm not too confident in proving things in Mechanics :-/

Lol. Well those shouldn't keep you busy for long :smile:
Original post by joostan
Lol. Well those shouldn't keep you busy for long :smile:

Okay I'll post my answers on here to be checked? And right now I'm just checking the unofficial markscheme for the exam I sat so I know how many marks to be expecting in August, I'll start them in about 5-10 minutes, thanks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending