The Student Room Group

OCR Critical thinking

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Onoderas
Yeah exactly! I don't see how you could evaluate it like that :s-smilie:. But it seriously was! Wrote something about giving back to the economy and sorting people into work it was so irrelevant :s-smilie:. But from the sound of it it looks that way so hopefully they will! I know how you feel though, people say it's worthless but I'd rather pass than fail :smile:
Haha don't worry...I wrote about equally irrelevant stuff (something about that school should be focused purely on academia as teachers have degrees and should be utilised :tongue: was all over the place with no IC/less than 3 reasons though!) Maybe they'll give us marks for sympathy or something :wink: Haha
Reply 61
Original post by kawai
Didn't like that exam :L found the arguments realllly difficult!! (Especially the second one, completely messed it up!) Also had nooo idea why people should use their vote haha...don't have opinions on these things!
Assuming I'm thinking of the right one, I got popularity too...if it's any consolation :tongue: Seemed like the most logical one, given that it gave various examples of different countries.

I did popularity too :P
Reply 62
Completely failed that, but totally not bothered, I'm just not going to declare it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
I'm quite sure that question everyone's talking about is appeal to history, because it said something about the Isle of Wight having to be right about giving 16 year olds a vote because they were right about giving woman the ability to vote.
Reply 64
Original post by kawai
Haha don't worry...I wrote about equally irrelevant stuff (something about that school should be focused purely on academia as teachers have degrees and should be utilised :tongue: was all over the place with no IC/less than 3 reasons though!) Maybe they'll give us marks for sympathy or something :wink: Haha

It was such a horrible statement! Already hate IC's enough, didn't need about two in the multiple choice and another one in the source side of the paper. I hope they do haha, the should do after they thought a paper like that would be fine to put out.

Original post by axi0m
I'm quite sure that question everyone's talking about is appeal to history, because it said something about the Isle of Wight having to be right about giving 16 year olds a vote because they were right about giving woman the ability to vote.

Appeal to history's are used to say that the future will resemble the past. For example, the sun has always risen in the morning, therefore the sun will rise tomorrow. I'm not too sure how it would fit in with the statement as it would need to say something like 'in the past the Isle of Wight gave women the vote, so they will give under sixteen year olds the vote (which has already happened). You could maybe manipulate it to say 'they were right in the past, so they will be right again' but I'm not too sure as it's about the UK making it right, not the Isle of Wight. But then again I'm not the mark scheme so both could be right! It did say ONE of the appeals so there is probably others :smile:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by axi0m

agreed, and then I put it may not support because it's about women and not age?
Reply 66
It was such a horrible statement! Already hate IC's enough, didn't need about two in the multiple choice and another one in the source side of the paper. I hope they do haha, the should do after they thought a paper like that would be fine to put out.

Appeal to history's are used to say that the future will resemble the past. For example, the sun has always risen in the morning, therefore the sun will rise tomorrow. I'm not too sure how it would fit in with the statement as it would need to say something like 'in the past the Isle of Wight gave women the vote, so they will give under sixteen year olds the vote (which has already happened). You could maybe manipulate it to say 'they were right in the past, so they will be right again' but I'm not too sure as it's about the UK making it right, not the Isle of Wight. But then again I'm not the mark scheme so both could be right! It did say ONE of the appeals so there is probably others :smile:.

That's exactly what they were trying to say - that because the Isle of Wight were eventually right in giving woman the vote, that they'll eventually be right in giving 16 year olds the vote, as they had already done so. There were two parts to the reasoning though, so I think it depends on what bit you looked at
(edited 10 years ago)
So glad we thought the same! It sounds right to me I don't see how you could use history there as history says the future will resemble the past? And it's just a fancy name for an unrelated conclusion :P but me too! The last question was so hard to make points for. Even the multiple choice and so on was hard, definitely would be shocked if the boundaries are not lower.

I put history and then crossed it out and put popularity, I think that the mark scheme will probably accept both but I looked at it for ages and I thought that the popularity one was probably more likely but they both seemed right.
So glad we thought the same! It sounds right to me I don't see how you could use history there as history says the future will resemble the past? And it's just a fancy name for an unrelated conclusion :P but me too! The last question was so hard to make points for. Even the multiple choice and so on was hard, definitely would be shocked if the boundaries are not lower.

i wrote slippery slope to do with risky decisions is that complete bs? was so hard :frown:

and btw i said appeal to popularity too
Reply 69
Original post by ellemcjelly
i wrote slippery slope to do with risky decisions is that complete bs? was so hard :frown:

Yeah, I used slippery slope and sweeping generalisation for that question
I actually found the paper quite easy :colondollar: I've actually enjoyed Critical Thinking having done it by choice in Year 11 with a group of people I really like.
Original post by ellemcjelly

I just said that the risk claim was irrelevant :dontknow: Don't know if that will be valid for anything :tongue:
Reply 72
This paper was definitely easier than the unit 1 paper though...
Reply 73
Original post by ellipsis...
I put history and then crossed it out and put popularity, I think that the mark scheme will probably accept both but I looked at it for ages and I thought that the popularity one was probably more likely but they both seemed right.

Original post by axi0m
That's exactly what they were trying to say - that because the Isle of Wight were eventually right in giving woman the vote, that they'll eventually be right in giving 16 year olds the vote, as they had already done so. There were two parts to the reasoning though, so I think it depends on what bit you looked at

I think they will put both too. I mean, if it was wrong then people would have found it hard to justify in part B. We all look at it from different angles which is what CT is about :P. I'd be shocked if there was just one after it said 'appeals', really unfair if they did it that way.

Original post by MangoFreak
I just said that the risk claim was irrelevant :dontknow: Don't know if that will be valid for anything :tongue:

Haha I said that too! Said something like reasoning about the risk doesn't match the conclusion as just because you're more likely to take risks doesn't mean you're less suitable to vote or some crap?? Hope it's worth something :P
Reply 74
To be honest they say in critical thinking you can never be wrong if you back up your claim. But in reality the exam is just writing what you think the examiner/mark scheme wants... So basically it's not critical thinking its Chief examiner thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
YES. It needs to go after every argument element, such as IC, HR and so on. If you miss this out the maximum you can get is 3/12 marks.

Hi, just to say, this is not true - it is not necessary to label argument elements. My school has requested actual marked AS scripts in the past to use as revision material, and these answers never had any indication within the arguments. Neither is there such a qualification indicated within any of the past mark schemes.
Reply 76
YES. It needs to go after every argument element, such as IC, HR and so on. If you miss this out the maximum you can get is 3/12 marks.

I don't think that's true. I've handed my teacher a number of mocks, and he's been teaching the subject for a few years, and he's never mentioned that signposting is a necessity - just that it can be useful.

The mark schemes don't say it's necessary either.
Reply 77
I want to improve my critical thinking.Any suggestions,tips and tricks?
Does anyone here do (or are going to do) A2 Critical Thinking? Unit 4 tomorrow! (And no, I'm not mad for choosing to take it to A2 and teach it to myself... or at least if I am mad, please say I'm not the only one?)
Reply 79
Who took the exam yesterday?
It was kinda hard... what on earth was doc 3

Quick Reply

Latest