The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Tortious
It seems to have been fixed now. I'm not sure they'd have noticed it on their own - does that mean there's a lurker among us? :holmes:

(If so, hello! :wavey:)

Someone posted it on Overheard at Cambridge, which seems a statistically more likely proposition.

(But if anyone is lurking, hi!)
First exam tomorrow. :afraid:
Reply 202
I'm getting to the stage where I just want to sit the damn thing and be done with it.
Original post by lp386
Someone posted it on Overheard at Cambridge, which seems a statistically more likely proposition.

(But if anyone is lurking, hi!)

You passed me in the street earlier today!

It was about 5pm; I was wearing a blue hoodie and talking to someone near the Sedgwick Museum. You were walking towards Emma. :ninja:
Reply 204
Use of French this afternoon. :afraid: :frown:
Original post by Sockpirate

Good luck! When are you done? :smile:
Reply 206
Original post by camaieu
Use of French this afternoon. :afraid: :frown:

Original post by Sockpirate

Good luck to you both! May the odds be ever in your favour.

Original post by wibletg
I'm getting to the stage where I just want to sit the damn thing and be done with it.

Lots of people I know keep saying this. I am not prepared enough for that. They need to be pushed back about 2 weeks. :tongue:
Reply 207
Good luck everyone writing today. Suitably themed weather :colonhash:
Reply 208
Pathetic fallacy for sure. Couldn't help but feel a little miserable when I was walking to the UL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 209
You passed me in the street earlier today!

It was about 5pm; I was wearing a blue hoodie and talking to someone near the Sedgwick Museum. You were walking towards Emma. :ninja:

I was about to strenuously deny this - and then I remembered I'd given in to temptation and gone to Spoons for dinner.*

I'm sorry, I didn't see you - my personal bubble is very strong while walking through town, especially in exam term!

Original post by camaieu
Pathetic fallacy for sure. Couldn't help but feel a little miserable when I was walking to the UL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it's horrendous out there. That said, if it keeps the town cool for next week's exams, I will happily take the rain - my first two exam venues are spectacularly badly ventilated and I become completely useless at any temperature above 20 degrees.

Original post by ratio
Good luck to you both! May the odds be ever in your favour.

Lots of people I know keep saying this. I am not prepared enough for that. They need to be pushed back about 2 weeks. :tongue:

I also need an extra fortnight. I'm going to have to revise an entire paper in two days between exams, which is not going to be fun.

Do you think the university administrators hold a Hunger Games-esque celebration every exam season? (I know the economics lecturers don't - they hate exam season even more than the students, with most of them finding excuses to go on sabbatical during Easter Term and at least one having been known to disappear off the face of the earth a week before they're due to be marking - I'm led to believe they fled to China.)

*Unless my parents are reading this, in which case "Spoons" is a euphemism for "a supermarket, where I bought healthy quantities of fruit and vegetables". No, it's definitely not that pub which does the cheap burgers, you're mistaken about that. Yes, I know we went there last time you visited, but it's now a supermarket. A very healthy supermarket with no cake section. Also, when did you learn how to use the internet beyond email and musical theatre fan sites?
Original post by lp386
I was about to strenuously deny this - and then I remembered I'd given in to temptation and gone to Spoons for dinner.*

I'm sorry, I didn't see you - my personal bubble is very strong while walking through town, especially in exam term!

Oh, it's fine - mine's the same. I'm not sure you know who I am anyway. I remember getting very confused when I worked out on Facebook who you were (from your academic information), since I was sure that "lp386" was your CRSid. Your surname nearly threw me off. :p:
Reply 211
Oh, it's fine - mine's the same. I'm not sure you know who I am anyway. I remember getting very confused when I worked out on Facebook who you were (from your academic information), since I was sure that "lp386" was your CRSid. Your surname nearly threw me off. :p:

I think I've mostly worked out who's who on here through a process of Facebook deduction, though I'm pretty sure we've never met.

Nope, it's not my CRSid - it was in case my college found out who I was and gave me grief for talking about the college/subject, so it was designed to look like a CRSid, specifically to suggest one of the other economists in my college if you don't look too closely.* It's just my first two initials instead of first and last. The 386 is the number of the xkcd that my avatar is (or was) taken from.

*Who knows I post on TSR and is looking for my account. And now I'll know if the person concerned finds it, because there's no way they'll be able to resist telling me now... That said, the attempted illusion would never stand up to anything more than casual scrutiny from anyone who knew me at all.

EDIT: It occurs to me that this has a very Bond-villain esque "and now I will explain my plan in tedious detail so the punters will understand the previous two hours of movie" quality to it, so I assume I'm about to be eaten by a shark.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 212
Original post by lp386

I also need an extra fortnight. I'm going to have to revise an entire paper in two days between exams, which is not going to be fun.

Do you think the university administrators hold a Hunger Games-esque celebration every exam season? (I know the economics lecturers don't - they hate exam season even more than the students, with most of them finding excuses to go on sabbatical during Easter Term and at least one having been known to disappear off the face of the earth a week before they're due to be marking - I'm led to believe they fled to China.)

*Unless my parents are reading this, in which case "Spoons" is a euphemism for "a supermarket, where I bought healthy quantities of fruit and vegetables". No, it's definitely not that pub which does the cheap burgers, you're mistaken about that. Yes, I know we went there last time you visited, but it's now a supermarket. A very healthy supermarket with no cake section. Also, when did you learn how to use the internet beyond email and musical theatre fan sites?

Yup, I'm going to have 1.5 days for one paper though, to be fair, it is my lightest one. For another, I've done the work for half of it, I'm going to spend the evening/night before cramming it all in. Such is the plight of the final paper of the year.

Haha, I know some law profs absolutely hate this period as well. My DoS' wife is retired and has had nightmares this term that she still has Tripos papers to mark. My supervisor says he has genuinely wondered if some candidates wrote their papers in Sanskrit.

Perhaps post exams, I will see how many people I can figure out. I do know who all the lawyers are.
Reply 213
Original post by ratio
Yup, I'm going to have 1.5 days for one paper though, to be fair, it is my lightest one. For another, I've done the work for half of it, I'm going to spend the evening/night before cramming it all in. Such is the plight of the final paper of the year.

Haha, I know some law profs absolutely hate this period as well. My DoS' wife is retired and has had nightmares this term that she still has Tripos papers to mark. My supervisor says he has genuinely wondered if some candidates wrote their papers in Sanskrit.

Perhaps post exams, I will see how many people I can figure out. I do know who all the lawyers are.

I'm hoping the short length of time focuses the mind - it helped me stagger to a halfway adequate result in Development last year after neglecting it to focus on the three harder papers. It's also my lightest paper - I should be able to do a decent job on 32 lectures and, if there's time, a little bit of reading, though it will mean giving up my supervisor's expected first for something more likely to be a mid-2.i. But there's a job on the line, and I'm not risking a complete flameout in one of the harder papers stopping me getting to 60.

Yeah, at least it's good to know that the lecturers are suffering as much as we are at this time of year...
Reply 214
That was awful. Just awful. Not helped by the fact that others said it "wasn't too bad". :cry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by camaieu
That was awful. Just awful. Not helped by the fact that others said it "wasn't too bad". :cry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They might have just missed the difficult points?

:console:

Original post by lp386
I'm going to have to revise an entire paper in two days between exams, which is not going to be fun.

This is me for four out of my five modules.

My plan next year is not to spend the entire michaelmas and lent terms doing things that aren't tripos work, so as not to be screwed at this point. (Alternatively, I could do other things in michaelmas and lent, but actually do work in michaelmas holidays rather than playing Halo for six weeks.)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
This is me for four out of my five modules.

My plan next year is not to spend the entire michaelmas and lent terms doing things that aren't tripos work, so as not to be screwed at this point. (Alternatively, I could do other things in michaelmas and lent, but actually do work in michaelmas holidays rather than playing Halo for six weeks.)

That's what everyone says every year, but nobody ever really manages it. Too much fun to be had :biggrin:

My BBS minor option (a bio-anth paper) is being learnt entirely between Friday afternoon and Tuesday morning...
Original post by camaieu

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure it went better than you think! Just forget about it - it's done - and focus on the next one. It'll be May Week soon enough :smile:

Original post by Rob da Mop
That's what everyone says every year, but nobody ever really manages it. Too much fun to be had :biggrin:

My BBS minor option (a bio-anth paper) is being learnt entirely between Friday afternoon and Tuesday morning...

Ooh, which BioAnth paper (I have a friend studying it so you probably know her :tongue: )
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by camaieu

We first-year mathmos have a pact not to speak of the exam afterwards - it remains to be seen whether that will be upheld…
Original post by Topaz_eyes
Ooh, which BioAnth paper (I have a friend studying it so you probably know her :tongue: )

BA1 the human animal. I might know her, although I've hated the course and haven't been the most sociable person :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending