The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moodavies106
For the unseen I was saying it could be a funeral "behind her" could be her behind a coffin and tears because she is dying the full stop at the end I said could suggest the hole at which she would be soon buried in also suggested marriage that the two wheels were like the two wedding rings

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE SAY WHETHER TJIS IS REASONABLE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where the hell does death/funeral play a part in the relationship unseen poem?
I understand where your coming from? but it is not very clear.
I understand your indirectly trying to convey that her mother is close to death and she is letting go of her daughter. You will certainly get marks for your interpretation though but for accuracy (that is subjective to the marker)
it took me over a minute to fully understand what you were trying to say but I presume you put it better in the exam?
Reply 2761
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
Part one we did Conflict poetry. I chose the question on The Yellow Palm, as the description of destruction is so ambiguous. I compared it with ‘Come On, Come Back’, which is one of my favourite poems from the cluster. Unfortunately I hadn’t revised Yellow Palm as much as the others and instead I came up with some original ideas in the exam. My main points included:
THE YELLOW PALM

Desecration of the ‘golden mosque’ with blood juxtaposing ideas show the anger peope hd towards religion for not saving them during conflict and the effects on conflict on religious beliefs the power of religion is fading as people realise how God cannot save them from conflict

‘Blind beggars’ who exist as ghosts of past wars and who salute alike the ‘Imperial Guard’, to show how war and the destruction it causes are continuous.

The destruction of innocence of the child who ‘blessed’ the ‘Cruise missile’, which suggests their acceptance of a life of conflict and violence from a young age.

Loose ballad structure creates a disconcerting tone, shows the reader that something is unnatural about the destructive nature of war.

‘COME ON, COME BACK’

Juxtaposing imagery of the ‘rutted meadow’, show both the physical and emotional destruction caused by war, as it could be metaphorical for how war ends the hope and growth of life in man.

Eternal nature of war, shown in past, present and future by the references to ‘Austerlitz’, the use of present tense and the setting ‘in a future war’, showing how the destruction caused is continuous through time.

Innocence of Vaudevue is shown by the use of the refrain shows, as it suggest she’s childlike, but she ‘hears not the familiar tune’ once she’s drowned as her innocent nature has been destroyed.

Did anyone else compare these two poems? I think most people compared The Yellow Palm with either Belfast Confetti or Out Of The Blue. No one I know chose the Hawk Roosting question.
Part two
I’m not as confident on this. I had a fair few paragraphs, but most were describing the presentation of similar ideas in different ways. Did anyone else mention how the description of the ‘two wheels’ of the bike was alike the mother and daughter’s reliance on each other for support?

I compared the two and pretty much got the same points as you, but wrote about how 'vaudevue' can get an escape and sanctuary (death) in the lake of 'death'. While in The Yellow Yalm the people's sanctuary was defiled by the blood splattered on the walls. Talked about the ironic link between her name sounding similar to 'Eau de vie' meaning water of life in french, when she died in the lake of death, Pretty silly point when I think of it now.
Reply 2762
For the unseen poem i wrote about how the speaker doesn't want to let go off her daughter and about how the speaker feels that the daughter is growing up too fast( the structure didn't have separate stanzas could be used to show how fast the daughter is growing up) would this get you some marksAnd randomly i wrote the handkerchief is usually used in weddings and it could be the speaker describing the life story of the daughter from 8 year old to the point where she gets married and goes away by just saying a simple "goodbye". don't know if i would get some marks for this.........Would i get any marks for this?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2763
Original post by ryanb97
Who is number 5??

Only4.jpg

Have you looked through all 139 pages of this thread???
Original post by moodavies106
For the unseen I was saying it could be a funeral "behind her" could be her behind a coffin and tears because she is dying the full stop at the end I said could suggest the hole at which she would be soon buried in also suggested marriage that the two wheels were like the two wedding rings

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE SAY WHETHER TJIS IS REASONABLE

Posted from TSR Mobile

well i dont think so, it was about her feelings, and no part of the language or structure of the poem made it evident that it was a funeral :/ to be honest with you though, the maker cant mark you down because of this, if you made reasons for this then he/she can only mark you up :biggrin: i hope this helps, but i wouldnt worry about it, because it might work in your side for doing this as you are the only one who sees it :smile: you have just got to hope that the marker is not some **** about it :biggrin:
Reply 2765
BOTH POEMS FOR RELATIONSHIPS I WAS EXPECTING CAME UP!!!

I did Sonnet 116 and Hour, talking about the common theme of time, sonnet using imagery/form to describe the idea of stability and structure in a relationship with rhyme scheme and imagery about the north star, hour talking about time as a currency for love, hour using nature as a way to state that love should not be based on "wine and flowers" and that true love is natural and beautiful and compared that with Shakespeare talking about the 2 types of love and saying true love is not a love of beauty and also some other things I cant remember :/

Unseen I misinterpreted slightly and only talked about it as if the daughter was leaving instead of actually growing up but praying that the structure and detail of the writing was enough to compensate :/ felt a right idiot though! Basically talked about the theme of roundness and the wheels of the bike signifying her having a "round"(complete) and stable platform and the mother feeling that even though her upbringing was complete and "round" she will still "wobble." I also talked about the lack of rhymes and no fixed structure or form signifying the mother thinking the world is a wide and unpredictable place and also that her daughter does not yet have the correct experience and structure to leave. I also talked about the "thud" implying she fears the worst when her daughter is out of sight and some other stuff :smile: How do you guys think I would have done on this?! I'm hoping for 24 on the comparison which would mean I had to only get 6 marks on unseen(not to mention SPAG!) for an A...scared....
was the narrator in the unseen poem male or female?
Original post by gtony
For the unseen poem i wrote about how the speaker doesn't want to let go off her daughter and about how the speaker feels that the daughter is growing up too fast( the structure didn't have separate stanzas could be used to show how fast the daughter is growing up) would this get you some marksAnd randomly i wrote the handkerchief is usually used in weddings and it could be the speaker describing the life story of the daughter from 8 year old to the point where she gets married and goes away by just saying a simple "goodbye". don't know if i would get some marks for this.........

Sound really good :smile: i put nearly the same however i put that the handkerchief and her saying goodbye was her mix up of memory, as the speeker was explaning a story when she was 8, but mixes this memory with the last time she said goodbye to her. Also this was a smilie so i put that, i put some metorphors, repitition of pumping shows is a hyperboly to her feeling :biggrin: i put that the enjerberment/rythme is broken up by caesuras, this shows her emotions braking down. i put an oxymoron in there as well when it said 'growing short' you cant grow short, and i put that this shows that as she gets older the closeness of the mum and daughter gets further away, forgot the qoute i used.
Original post by ecosta97
was the narrator in the unseen poem male or female?

i put the person to be female as the poet was female, but i mostly referred to he/she as the speeker
Reply 2769
Original post by sgobara08
Sound really good :smile: i put nearly the same however i put that the handkerchief and her saying goodbye was her mix up of memory, as the speeker was explaning a story when she was 8, but mixes this memory with the last time she said goodbye to her. Also this was a smilie so i put that, i put some metorphors, repitition of pumping shows is a hyperboly to her feeling :biggrin: i put that the enjerberment/rythme is broken up by caesuras, this shows her emotions braking down. i put an oxymoron in there as well when it said 'growing short' you cant grow short, and i put that this shows that as she gets older the closeness of the mum and daughter gets further away, forgot the qoute i used.
Well i guess thats better than mine i forgot completely about the word enjambment and wrote the sentence carries on
Original post by gtony
Well i guess thats better than mine i forgot completely about the word enjambment and wrote the sentence carries on

Anyway whatever you put is right, because there is no mark scheme. Also In the unseen if you make lots of pionts but dont explain them that well i think you get the better marks :smile: and if you linked that to the speekers feeling then they will give you the same marks as me even though i put enjambment :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
I compared Casehistory with Checking Out Me History and mentioned that Checking Out Me History ends hopefully, the absence of a full stop emphasises that the journey for identity isn't over, it has only just begun. Yet in contrast, Casehistory has a long line in each second line of each stanza which resembles that Alison is so close to grasping the thought, but the third, shortest line expresses that she just can't get there and the enjambment is like a sigh. So I said that Casehistory ends hopelessly, the last stanza is one line, Alison's journey for her past identity is over and this length of stanza echoes the pain of giving up.
Reply 2772
I wrote very similar as mentioned above things however i was also extremely proud i noticed the oxymoron 'grew, smaller' (as the girl moved into the distance) and i made some good points on how the mother may not have wanted to accept her daughter growing up etc.
Reply 2773
Would I get marked down for referring to a female poet as 'he' throughout my essay in today's exam?!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2774
If I got 33/40 on the Shakespeare coursework and 76/80 on the January exam, does anyone know roughly how well I needed to have done on poems to get an a* I have some previous posts showing my work
Original post by randlemcmurphy
Did anyone do the Born Yesterday question, and if you did what poem did you compare it to? I compared it to nettles as hopes and desires are clearly expressed in that poem

I compared it with to his coy mistress :biggrin:
Original post by examphobia
I compared Casehistory with Checking Out Me History and mentioned that Checking Out Me History ends hopefully, the absence of a full stop emphasises that the journey for identity isn't over, it has only just begun. Yet in contrast, Casehistory has a long line in each second line of each stanza which resembles that Alison is so close to grasping the thought, but the third, shortest line expresses that she just can't get there and the enjambment is like a sigh. So I said that Casehistory ends hopelessly, the last stanza is one line, Alison's journey for her past identity is over and this length of stanza echoes the pain of giving up.

That sounds pretty good :biggrin: i didnt do that question, but i would have used the same poem to compare if i had to :biggrin: what did you say about cheacking out me history? and what did you say what the similarities was between the two poems? :biggrin:
Original post by SH0405
Would I get marked down for referring to a female poet as 'he' throughout my essay in today's exam?!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure - probably not, unless they mark you down for poor comprehension, since the author's name was written at the bottom of the poem, plus the word 'she' was included in the question!
Seriously though, it shouldn't affect your mark as long as the points you make are good :-)
Original post by LjWol
I wrote very similar as mentioned above things however i was also extremely proud i noticed the oxymoron 'grew, smaller' (as the girl moved into the distance) and i made some good points on how the mother may not have wanted to accept her daughter growing up etc.

yeah same and how there was only one stanza and the lines were short showing how fast time went for her :biggrin:
for unseen I said...

- She is sad daughter is moving away 'goodbye.' very powerful hard hitting last one word sentence

- She is also understanding of her daughter moving away remembers her 'laughter' she is happy for her

- She is comparing her daughter growing and moving from her to teaching her how to ride a bike, therefore she finds it easier to come to terms with as she knows she gave her the ability to grow up and away from in the same way she taught her to ride her bike.

-She feels as if her daughter has grown up too quickly - fast pace of poem 'enjambment' also highlighted by the shock she has that her daughter could ride away from her so quickly

is this enough? imaginative?
aiming for A*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending