The Student Room Group

English Language B AQA Unit 1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Praying for a nice gender text. Our class didnt even learn about language and technology :mad: and I find that with language and power there is not a lot to talk about.

Ive also got a question about the Coursework?? On the AQA website it says that the courseowrk is out of 80 raw marks. I did two pieces of original writing each out of 50 marks and two commentaries each out of 10. So according to my teacher the coursework would be out of 120?? Am i getting confused between raw and UMS marks or has my teacher made a blunder? :mad: Really appreciate any info.:biggrin:
Reply 21
Original post by Sm96
Hi does anyone have any ideas on what will come up for language and gender tomorrow? For example a transcript or extract etc? I hope it's a transcript, if not I may cry!haha

yeah well hasn't it been a transcript for the past 3 years?? cos they did a waterloo road script in January this year too! i wanna do gender too!
Original post by Sm96
Hi does anyone have any ideas on what will come up for language and gender tomorrow? For example a transcript or extract etc? I hope it's a transcript, if not I may cry!haha

Last summer's exam had an advert or extract from a book for language and gender (don't remember which, I did power) so I would guess a transcript. From ones I've done, the transcripts will usually have males and females, so plenty to contrast and comment on, plus interaction etc.

Original post by Nomboog
Wow thank you for this! Quick question, what are some examples of non-standard english? (just incase I use it and then end up writing about the wrong thing!)

Non-standard English is essentially anything that looks 'wrong'. Slang and colloquialisms will be the main one to look out for in written texts; for anything technological look for acronyms, abbreviations, misspelling etc; transcripts there should be natural errors (stumbling, wrong word, repetition, um etc) or dialect. Occasionally they'll give you something that is English as written by a non-native speaker, so you can comment on how it's not intentional (as in adverts or a conscious dialectical choice) or natural (as in speech).
Original post by shaw16
Praying for a nice gender text. Our class didnt even learn about language and technology :mad: and I find that with language and power there is not a lot to talk about.

Ive also got a question about the Coursework?? On the AQA website it says that the courseowrk is out of 80 raw marks. I did two pieces of original writing each out of 50 marks and two commentaries each out of 10. So according to my teacher the coursework would be out of 120?? Am i getting confused between raw and UMS marks or has my teacher made a blunder? :mad: Really appreciate any info.:biggrin:

With language and power, you have to dig into the text quite deeply and apply the little that there is taught. I did it last year and found it relatively straightforward. If you do it, look out for emotive lexis, words with positive and negative connotations, the grammar (ie, sentence type/length, and also modal verbs) and pronouns (especially 2nd person, so you can apply Fairclough as a theorist)

As for coursework, I'm not sure where your teacher has got 120 from. It's definitely 80 UMS, and I'm fairly sure it's 80 raw mark as well (with, roughly, 1 mark for one UMS). Perhaps your teacher's just doing a special marking of their own and is then scaling it down.
I'm doing this exam tomorrow too for the first time :smile:
I've managed to get A in both sections for mocks so I'm hoping the exam goes the same. I also plan on doing gender for section B; I find it really interesting. Just remember Lakoff, Spender, Tannen and Zimmerman and West and what they said about the difference in male-female language.

I'm hoping for an extract of text rather than a transcript! Transcripts are so ickkkkyyy. Fingers crossed guys and good luck :smile:
Anyone have any idea of what contextual ideas are good to mention for language and gender?
If a transcript, is it best to mention the people in the conversation and what may affect the way they're speaking
In an extract, perhaps the date it was published etc.?
Also, do you think marks can be rewarded for the mention of Fairclough's synthetic personalisation in Section A if you're not doing it in Section B?
I love using that theory and just need to use it somewhere to get it out of my system... (English language student problems).
Original post by Abbiedaniella
Also, do you think marks can be rewarded for the mention of Fairclough's synthetic personalisation in Section A if you're not doing it in Section B?
I love using that theory and just need to use it somewhere to get it out of my system... (English language student problems).

Depends how you use it. I'm not sure they like you commenting too much on power/gender/technology concepts in the first question, but you could use it as a development of a point about, say, the use of the second person.
Original post by Grauniad
Depends how you use it. I'm not sure they like you commenting too much on power/gender/technology concepts in the first question, but you could use it as a development of a point about, say, the use of the second person.

Okay thank you!
yeah, I definitely wouldn't use it too much... maybe focus that second person pronoun has been used and how this was shown by Fairclough to make the audience feel that they're being spoken to directly. :smile:
What did Tannen say about gender? Totally forgotten theorists for gender :|
I'll be sitting this for the third time tomorrow. Pretty nervous.

I guess I'll be doing Power for Section B. I really hope it's a good text, and for Section A, they give decent grouping texts. I always fall back when it comes to AO1 and AO3. AO2 is usually alright for me.
Third time lucky I guess :P
Original post by sophiealyssa
What did Tannen say about gender? Totally forgotten theorists for gender :|

Tannen is concerned with the difference model :smile:
So if you speak about Tannen, you need to say about how men are interested in gaining factual information, don't mind conflict and how they're concerned with status and independence, hence why they interrupt.
Women are interested in forming bonds, avoid conflict and aim to show understanding and try to compromise :smile:

Hope that helps!
Reply 32
So if you speak about Tannen, you need to say about how men are interested in gaining factual information, don't mind conflict and how they're concerned with status and independence, hence why they interrupt.
Women are interested in forming bonds, avoid conflict and aim to show understanding and try to compromise :smile:

Hope that helps!

for Tannen could you say men talk about concrete women talk about feelings? :biggrin:
Is Tannen also the spotlight theorist? Men steal the spotlight, women share it
Original post by chellls
for Tannen could you say men talk about concrete women talk about feelings? :biggrin:

Yeah, that would work!
Men tend to talk about factual information and things that require status that are rather concrete, like work and sport whereas women speak about emotions, home, relationship and family! :smile:

Hope that helps!

Brilliant, thankyou!
Original post by sophiealyssa
Brilliant, thankyou!

you're welcome :smile:

hope that the exam paper is kind tomorrow.. Cannot be dealing with a rubbish paper :frown:
you're welcome :smile:

hope that the exam paper is kind tomorrow.. Cannot be dealing with a rubbish paper :frown:

yeah me too :/ fingers crossed!

Good luck everyone!
Reply 38
How did everyone feel about it? :smile:
How did everyone find the paper? :smile:
I didn't manage to finish my last grouping on Section A because I wrote so much about the spoken texts and I wrote what I would have put about the texts in bullet points with an apology to the examiner (working my magic).
I think the texts in the grouping were really good, except the novel one, but I decided not to mention it as I felt that it didn't fit in very well with any of my groupings...

I did gender for section B and wrote about all representations of men, how they want to be healthy, strong and dominant. Quite a weird text though.. was hoping for one with some female language/rep in there. Oh well! Fingers crossed.
How did everyone do? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending