The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2800
Original post by LjWol
I wrote very similar as mentioned above things however i was also extremely proud i noticed the oxymoron 'grew, smaller' (as the girl moved into the distance) and i made some good points on how the mother may not have wanted to accept her daughter growing up etc.

I noticed that too, but I don't think I explained it as well as you did.
Reply 2801
Original post by Chitanda Eru
You are so getting an A*. Just saying.:biggrin:

Ah scary how you wrote nearly word for wor

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2802
Original post by ecosta97
was the narrator in the unseen poem male or female?

Might already have been answered, but I think the questions said 'she'.
Reply 2803
Did anyone else think the hopes and wishes question was quite vague for a short essay?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2804
Original post by jay_em
Might already have been answered, but I think the questions said 'she'.

I think that was to the poet as a female, it never said in the poem of the gender

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2805
I compared born yesterday to praise song for my mother no one else seems to have done this which is annoying because I feel there was lots to compare , we're these poems a good pair to compare I'm worrying so much
Reply 2806
Original post by Loolar
I compared born yesterday to praise song for my mother no one else seems to have done this which is annoying because I feel there was lots to compare , we're these poems a good pair to compare I'm worrying so much

Don't worry! Loads of people in my year did that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2807
Original post by Moll_06
Don't worry! Loads of people in my year did that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou ! That's made me feel better what did your friends say about the two? If you know
Reply 2808
Original post by Loolar
Thankyou ! That's made me feel better what did your friends say about the two? If you know

Hhmm not too sure, I think they linked protection and just the parental side of it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found the unseen poem to be absolutely plain and uninteresting, as most unseen poems are, unfortunately. I wrote 4 paragraphs on it but they weren't very good.
For Section A I compared Sonnet 116 with Hour because just yesterday I luckily did a mock paragraph on it so I knew exactly what to write. I wrote about the semantic field of money in 'Hour', the way that the two sonnets differ in structure etc. etc. overall I think I'm partially in the band 6 for this one, so I'm hoping for a nearly perfect mark and an A overall :smile:
Didn't go very well.

Answered question 6 from place cluster, should have chosen the other question.
I don't think I even compared the poems.

The unseen poem was ok, could have better, the content analysis was very limited.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What would Be the maximum Mark I would get if I didnt compare the poems??
Reply 2812
Original post by Moll_06
Hhmm not too sure, I think they linked protection and just the parental side of it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't mention that my main points were:

The metaphors used are different in praise song the mother guided her and made any hope for her future happen and in born yesterday tightly folded bud suggests he believes his wishes will determind which path her life takes because she's not turned into a flower yet etc i tallied about structure aswell and how in born yesterday his wishes are listed dont mean as much etc and I talked about enjabmbent in praise showed her mothers wishes and hopes meant more and were more meaningful and then I said language used eg differen personal ppronouns

i know I'm stressing over nothing
Reply 2813
I found the unseen plain and boring too with very very little language techniques, reading the posts here i realise that infact there was a lot to say..too bad english has never been my forte. Hopefully i've done enough with my two exams and coursework to get an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
What happens if you forget to write the paper reference on the answer book? My friend told me they forgot!
The handkerchief could also reflect the sadness the mother had, she was crying...jus saying
Reply 2816
Original post by ghost_rebel
What would Be the maximum Mark I would get if I didnt compare the poems??

Did you not bring any other poem into your question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bill Edgar
Did anybody do Hawk Roosting? What did you say the Hawk was portrayed as?

Nufc

I said:
The writer ted hughes was fascinated in ancient cultures especially american indians. In the poem hawk roosting hughes writes in the imagined voice of the hawk. This bird is the symbol of power and through the use of its words we are able to understand the percpective of this bird and how much power it says to have. "In sleep i rehearse perfect kills to eat" thinks of himself as a master of the world. His whole life is spent either being in sleep or hunting in prey.

This bird also personifies a powerful dictator who seems to think hes the owner of the world it brings about this idea of danger and how even when he is sleeping this dictator has power over what he can dream its as if he believes god or higher than gods authority this shows that just like the hawk even the dictator is rehearsing his kills which further implies his coldheartedness

Furthermore he says "i hold the whole of creation under my foot" he.believes hes the master and above everybody else this hawk or dictator is so deluded that he believes the whole of the creation is under is control

To conclude all of this may suggest that when power enters the wrong hands it can be a route to the most evil of ways

What grade would this be?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2818
Anyone else do the PLACE poem question on IMAGERY and CHANGE? And find it hard to write all about IMAGERY .. I just wish it didnt have the imagery bit and asked about change grr
Original post by Loolar
If I got 33/40 on the Shakespeare coursework and 76/80 on the January exam, does anyone know roughly how well I needed to have done on poems to get an a* I have some previous posts showing my work

I dunno for a* but you need 105 marks overall for an A so you'll easy get A*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending