The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by billybo_h
Winter has been accused a few times, and he commonly uses malapropisms resulting in some strange phrases.

Balague is good to listen to and read, and he has also published a few books including one about Rafa and the Liverpool Champions League win, and last year his Pep Guardiola book was released. I think he is in the process of researching a Messi book at the moment as well. For someone with an interest in sports journalism he is definatley someone to aspire to.

Yeah I was thinking of British based ones when thinking of journalists. I used to see Balague's stuff a lot when my dad subscribed to Sky Sports but that was quite a while ago now and I guess going to a rugby and rowing loving university for three years probably hasn't helped. :tongue: I'll look for his stuff soon.
Reply 2901
Original post by Plato's Trousers
Of course he is. It's as good as certain. I am generally happy about it, but I would be concerned that the way the side is currently set up is a million miles from the way Jose likes to work. He is defensively inclined and cannot be happy about the way we play at the moment.

Indeed, it looks like he's already planning to get rid of Luiz :frown:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2328745/Real-Madrid-Barcelona-battling-lure-Chelsea-defender-David-Luiz-away-Stamford-Bridge.html

No, Jose is not defensively inclined, have you watched a real madrid match before? He even said it himself, 'I like possession football, but with a goal' in response to spain's hyper-possession football in the euros.

Jose however is a pragmatic manager, he knew that he couldn't dominate the likes of barca/chelsea etc. with possession with inter so he did that bus park thing, however with madrid against top teams(utd, bayern, dortmund) he either had more possession than them(notably united and dortmund) or the same amount of possession.
Glad Luiz leaving was a daily fail
Original post by jam277
No, Jose is not defensively inclined, have you watched a real madrid match before? He even said it himself, 'I like possession football, but with a goal' in response to spain's hyper-possession football in the euros.

Jose however is a pragmatic manager, he knew that he couldn't dominate the likes of barca/chelsea etc. with possession with inter so he did that bus park thing, however with madrid against top teams(utd, bayern, dortmund) he either had more possession than them(notably united and dortmund) or the same amount of possession.

When he arrived at Chelsea in 2004 he was basically given a blank chequebook to build any kind of team he wanted. Doing for a very negative, defensively minded team is not pragmatic here, it is proactive.
Is anyone staying up to watch the game tonight? I had my last exam earlier so I might watch it as I've got nothing to do tomorrow. Would be good to see some of the younger players getting a game.
Reply 2905
I'll be up watching it tonight most likely.
Kind of clinging on to football at the moment before we head into the next couple of months were nothing happens. Sad times.
Reply 2906
Original post by Zürich
When he arrived at Chelsea in 2004 he was basically given a blank chequebook to build any kind of team he wanted. Doing for a very negative, defensively minded team is not pragmatic here, it is proactive.

Have you watched a real madrid match? That's my answer to your post.
At madrid, he sees that he has attacking players in ronaldo, benzema, higuain and offensively minded defenders in marcelo and ramos. So guess what, he does attacking football.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Have you watched a real madrid match? That's my answer to your question.

Well he inherited a squad with Ronaldo, Xabi Alonso, Higuain etc so its not particularly surprising that he's been more offensive.

At Chelsea, he set his team up to be difficult to beat, well organised and with a focus on defense. It's not a bad thing, but that's his instinct. At Inter/Real we've seen that too at times.
Reply 2908
Original post by Zürich
Well he inherited a squad with Ronaldo, Xabi Alonso, Higuain etc so its not particularly surprising that he's been more offensive.

At Chelsea, he set his team up to be difficult to beat, well organised and with a focus on defense. It's not a bad thing, but that's his instinct. At Inter/Real we've seen that too at times.

Against the likes of barca, and when they're hanging onto a lead.
Well, we have mata, hazard, luiz, oscar, azpilicueta, cole. all fairly attacking players at the core of our team, cahill too to an extent.
At inter he inherited mancini's team, bought 3 players in milito, sneijder and lucio with limited amounts of money so there wasn't much he could do there.

I guess mourinho thought the defensive style worked at porto so lets do it in england. Doesn't make him a defensive manager imo.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Against the likes of barca, and when they're hanging onto a lead.
Well, we have mata, hazard, luiz, oscar, azpilicueta, cole. all fairly attacking players at the core of our team, cahill too to an extent.
At inter he inherited mancini's team, bought 3 players in milito, sneijder and lucio with limited amounts of money so there wasn't much he could do there.

I guess mourinho thought the defensive style worked at porto so lets do it in england. Doesn't make him a defensive manager imo.

Eto'o + 35m landed on his lap for Ibra at Inter...
Reply 2910
Original post by Zürich
Eto'o + 35m landed on his lap for Ibra at Inter...

Oh, thought there was one I forgot. :facepalm2:
But still, same thing. Most of the team was mancini's and most of the funds for the other players came from the eto'o deal. Sneijder had his problems defensively so he decided to get the best out of him by playing that defensive football using him as a trequartista.

I think he's a pragmatic manager over a defensive manager.
(edited 10 years ago)
Staying up to watch the match tonight, going to be absolutely shattered for school tomorrow.

Lets hope it's worth it. :erm:
Reply 2912
City playing a strong team, Chelsea are... most certainly not.

Watching out of curiosity, andreas and RLC in starting eleven. Surprised Yossi starts though.

Oh goal BTW. Ba.

Also no-one is here....
Original post by Tweek
City playing a strong team, Chelsea are... most certainly not.

Watching out of curiosity, andreas and RLC in starting eleven. Surprised Yossi starts though.

Oh goal BTW. Ba.

Also no-one is here....

Don't worry I'm still here! Pulling an all nighter for my exam this morning. Not following the game though, so you're match updates are keeping me well informed :colondollar:
Reply 2914
Original post by Isometrix
Don't worry I'm still here! Pulling an all nighter for my exam this morning. Not following the game though, so you're match updates are keeping me well informed :colondollar:

What exam do you have?

Azpi just scored a penalty.
Mata has an assist with the Ba goal and won the penalty.

We're getting out played in every sense, yet winning 2-0.
2 nil up and we should be 6-2 down.

Classic Chelsea
Original post by Tweek
What exam do you have?

Azpi just scored a penalty.
Mata has an assist with the Ba goal and won the penalty.

We're getting out played in every sense, yet winning 2-0.

MRI and Ultrasound...very physics-y.

Nice...if only this happened to us in the FA cup :tongue:
Reply 2917
Original post by Isometrix
MRI and Ultrasound...very physics-y.

Nice...if only this happened to us in the FA cup :tongue:

Hope your exam is in the morning then if you're up all night.

Oscar just scored. 3-0

Cech just got subbed, then we conceded within 30 seconds. Sad times.

Wait make that 2 in 2 minutes since Cech went off 3-2. Oh dear.
(edited 10 years ago)
What happened :lolwut:
I love the criticisms of a post season friendly going on. Yeah because perhaps turning clubs into brands is even more so important in the FFP days. Utd did the same with the FA Cup years ago, and have looked into extra sponsorship means since, so if you can't do it during the season and you can't do them during the off-season then err what do people really expect? It will only be a matter of time before some clubs will totally field the League Cup for fringe and youth players whilst using first team players more for money spinning tours, during the season or when it has finished.

Latest