The Student Room Group

Edexcel M2/M3 June 6th/10th 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Had my C2 today :smile:, now I've just got from now all the way up to the 6th for M2! :happy2:

the reserve paper better be nicer!

I have a feeling the actual paper we were meant to be given was going to be quite easy, lost all hope for the reserve paper now as well :|
Original post by MLogan
I have a feeling the actual paper we were meant to be given was going to be quite easy, lost all hope for the reserve paper now as well :|

Maybe, but we'll never find out for sure! You've still got enough time to prepare, I reckon you'll be ok :smile:. I think the paper will be fine bar 1 or 2 challenging questions.
Reply 82
Original post by MLogan

I'm going with the thought that they won't have put so much effort into the reserve paper, so the questions will be more straight forward.....I hope....and pray.... :tongue:
Reply 83
Hi, I'm taking M2 on June the 6th and in the text book is a few examples and on the specification for M2 it says that we are expected to have learnt C3. I do further maths and I am currently in year 12 so I will not have even started core 3 by my exam. I was just wondering if anyone is in my position and if so are you going to do anything about it? I am considering learning the parts of C3 that could come up but I am so busy I have just over a week to pretty much learn all of physics and chemistry unit 2 and I need to do work for M2 and FP1.

So what do you think, I haven't done many past papers but from what I have seen we dont seem to need any core 3 knowledge for most of them. If you have done lots of past papers I would be really grateful if you could tell me the C3 chapters that come up if there are any.

Thanks
Reply 84
Original post by ATAL96
Hi, I'm taking M2 on June the 6th and in the text book is a few examples and on the specification for M2 it says that we are expected to have learnt C3. I do further maths and I am currently in year 12 so I will not have even started core 3 by my exam. I was just wondering if anyone is in my position and if so are you going to do anything about it? I am considering learning the parts of C3 that could come up but I am so busy I have just over a week to pretty much learn all of physics and chemistry unit 2 and I need to do work for M2 and FP1.

So what do you think, I haven't done many past papers but from what I have seen we dont seem to need any core 3 knowledge for most of them. If you have done lots of past papers I would be really grateful if you could tell me the C3 chapters that come up if there are any.

Thanks

think all they mean is you need to be able to integrate, maybe.... can't think of much else
Reply 85
Maybe, but we'll never find out for sure! You've still got enough time to prepare, I reckon you'll be ok :smile:. I think the paper will be fine bar 1 or 2 challenging questions.

Original post by JenniS
I'm going with the thought that they won't have put so much effort into the reserve paper, so the questions will be more straight forward.....I hope....and pray.... :tongue:

I can deal with 2 difficult questions..but hopefully it is a doable paper!!
Original post by ATAL96

Thanks

Yh I'm in the same boat as you, also doing this in year 12 :five:, to be fair C3 rarely ever does come up in M2, the only bits I've seen were involving trig identities in projectiles where the question would be like show that y can be written as (....). I just learnt the trig functions and identities from C3 and if they ever come up it would only be like 4 marks.

C3 differentation is in the book but has never came up in the exam, you just need to know how to differentiate cos, sin and ln. But the main one is trig functions: like sec, cosec etc...
Reply 88
hey guys, can someone help me out with questions 8 b) and c) on the Jan 2010 M2 edexcel paper please. i got no idea about these questions
Reply 89
Yh I'm in the same boat as you, also doing this in year 12 :five:, to be fair C3 rarely ever does come up in M2, the only bits I've seen were involving trig identities in projectiles where the question would be like show that y can be written as (....). I just learnt the trig functions and identities from C3 and if they ever come up it would only be like 4 marks.

C3 differentation is in the book but has never came up in the exam, you just need to know how to differentiate cos, sin and ln. But the main one is trig functions: like sec, cosec etc...

Ok, thanks for your reply I'll have a look at trig identities, I hope your C2 went well today I thought it was a pretty good paper.
Reply 90
Original post by MLogan

reserve paper ??
Reply 91
Original post by Student8
reserve paper ??

Apparently our M2 paper got breached so were going to get a replacement paper :|
Original post by MLogan
Apparently our M2 paper got breached so were going to get a replacement paper :|

i think every one now that by now, tbh they will prob r4p3 us with the paper
Reply 93
Hey I am sooo stressed and I am in the same boat as you..i feel like crying. one more week and we still have so much to do :'(
and plus how hard is chem unit 2 :'(
and and and FP!..i havent even touched that :/
i have 3 exams next week..bio unit 2, chem unit2 and bloody M2 and then Fp1
omg omg omg:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Reply 94
Hey guys, any tips? For m2 that is, i keep making mistakes visualising finding the angle in centre of mass questions-.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is this the right thread for m2 help? Can anyone please explain the work energy principle to me, it's driving me insane!
Okay so work done against friction =the loss of energy minus the gain in either kinetic or potential?

What about total work done? Is that the work done against friction plus any change in potential? And then this also equals the change in kinetic?

What also then confuses me is how kinetic energy has to be positive! When working out a question I never know whether to the the final minus the initial or vice versa, it seems to change!
please help, I can't understand any of the Internet sites! :'( thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by Marblepumpkin
Is this the right thread for m2 help? Can anyone please explain the work energy principle to me, it's driving me insane!
Okay so work done against friction =the loss of energy minus the gain in either kinetic or potential?

What about total work done? Is that the work done against friction plus any change in potential? And then this also equals the change in kinetic?

What also then confuses me is how kinetic energy has to be positive! When working out a question I never know whether to the the final minus the initial or vice versa, it seems to change!
please help, I can't understand any of the Internet sites! :'( thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well to start id say dont think of it in complex terms. Essentially the work energy principle states that for a body, the total change in energy is equal to the work done. Not just work done due to friction but all the work done in that system.

Energy can't be created or destroyed, it can only be transformed from one form to another. You have to take this into account when doing calculations.

Let me give you an example. If you're looking at a system and find that the change in kinetic energy of a particle from 2 given points shows a deficit ie a loss in kinetic energy and likewise there is a loss of gpe from the two points then the change is the sum of both the deficits as the energy must be transformed as its currently unaccounted for. By the way energy cant be negative its a scalar not a vecotor its has only magnitude.

This change in energy is equal to the total work done on the particle. This is essentially the work energy principle. Bare in mind if there is a loss of ke but a gain in gpe then the change would be the difference between the 2.

Hope this helps a little i found it easier to understand when simplifying it like that then rearranging the equation to find whatever it is theyre asking for :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know how to do question 5 on the June 2012 M2 paper?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 98
Original post by Anonymous1717
Does anyone know how to do question 5 on the June 2012 M2 paper?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You have to consider components of impulse, so 12.5cos(90-a)=0.25(v--30) solving this gives V =0 in the opposite direction to the 30ms^1 it was travelling, then consider the other component 12.5sin(90-a)= 0.25(v-0), the U is zero in this case because there is no component of speed in this direction before the impulse, then by doing pythag for magnitude of speed, which would be the v squared in the first equation + the v squared in the second, and square root, which leaves you with 40, in this case the v was 40 in the second equation and v was zero in the first, that means there is no component of speed after the impulse in the same direction it was travelling before, so the direction is 90 degrees to original motion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JoshThomas
You have to consider components of impulse, so 12.5cos(90-a)=0.25(v--30) solving this gives V =0 in the opposite direction to the 30ms^1 it was travelling, then consider the other component 12.5sin(90-a)= 0.25(v-0), the U is zero in this case because there is no component of speed in this direction before the impulse, then by doing pythag for magnitude of speed, which would be the v squared in the first equation + the v squared in the second, and square root, which leaves you with 40, in this case the v was 40 in the second equation and v was zero in the first, that means there is no component of speed after the impulse in the same direction it was travelling before, so the direction is 90 degrees to original motion

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much. I actually understand it now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending