The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Missing out on 100 ums because you forget to sub-in the minimum point to find the y-cordinate *facepalms*
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:lolwut: that's a load of bull, you're better than I am, I mean who guided me through those integration step questions?:wink:

Just do the paper and work on harder bits!

But you're in Year 11! I wouldn't have been at your level when I was in year 11! And yeah but I could only do that as I had done the questions myself before, otherwise I would've been pretty useless.

Thanks thats what I'll most likely do, probably get through 2-3 tonight to get me back into the swing of it :tongue:
Original post by MathsNerd1
But you're in Year 11! I wouldn't have been at your level when I was in year 11! And yeah but I could only do that as I had done the questions myself before, otherwise I would've been pretty useless.

Thanks thats what I'll most likely do, probably get through 2-3 tonight to get me back into the swing of it :tongue:

But you're not in year eleven now:biggrin:

That's not the point -.-

Yep! Keep us posted :wink:
Original post by GCSE-help
Missing out on 100 ums because you forget to sub-in the minimum point to find the y-cordinate *facepalms*

OMGGGGGGGGG!!! That is the EXACT same reason I missed out on 100 UMS in C1! :eek:. Now someone knows how it feels :frown:
But you're not in year eleven now:biggrin:

That's not the point -.-

Yep! Keep us posted :wink:

That's true but you'll far superior to me when you're my age :tongue:

And will do, I'm hoping they go well :biggrin:

I almost forgot to do that.
Original post by MathsNerd1
That's true but you'll far superior to me when you're my age :tongue:

And will do, I'm hoping they go well :biggrin:

Not really, I'm stopping my maths then :tongue:

:yy:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
OMGGGGGGGGG!!! That is the EXACT same reason I missed out on 100 UMS in C1! :eek:. Now someone knows how it feels :frown:

I knowww it's so frustrating :frown: I'm not that type of bloke, who goes after full/ridiculous UMS but I'm loving AS Maths, I got 100 in C1, and will probably end up with 99's in C2 and S1 due to the SILLIEST mistakes. Not subbing in a number for C2 and saying 1 x 1 = 2 in S1. It is kinda funny though lol

Original post by MAyman12

Lucky!
Not really, I'm stopping my maths then :tongue:

:yy:

That's a shame as Maths is too cool to stop :tongue:
Reply 2649
Could someone do this question for me and compare with my answer?

35y31y2dy\displaystyle\int \dfrac{3-5y^3}{\sqrt{1-y^2}} dy

I used the substitution y=sinxy = sinx, although there was no specific way it was meant to be done.
I knowww it's so frustrating :frown: I'm not that type of bloke, who goes after full/ridiculous UMS but I'm loving AS Maths, I got 100 in C1, and will probably end up with 99's in C2 and S1 due to the SILLIEST mistakes. Not subbing in a number for C2 and saying 1 x 1 = 2 in S1. It is kinda funny though lol

Lucky!

298/300 is f*cking awesome:cool:

Wish I can do that:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tigerz
Haha, what made you change your mind? :smile: I has mixed emotions about it!

I feel lost with no more maths exams, only subject I don't mind revising!
Got a difficult chemistry exam now :cry:

The fact that it's mostly statistics. Sounds quite boring tbh :redface:
Original post by MAyman12

I had alarm bells ringing during that question! Needless to say that's not a mistake I would ever make again! I would not be able to endure another endless wave of constant jeering from my teacher or fellow classmates :colone:

Sorry to bust your bubble, I was also hoping to get 99 but I lost 2 marks for the y-coordinate :frown:. There's a method mark for attempt in plugging in your x value into the solution, and an accuracy mark for getting the correct y-coordinate. 98 is still pretty good!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CD315

I used the substitution y=sinxy = sinx, although there was no specific way it was meant to be done.

From a very quick attempt I get 53(1y2)1.5+5(1y2)0.5+3arcsiny+c \frac{-5}{3}(1-y^2)^{1.5}+5(1-y^2)^{0.5} + 3arcsiny + c .

(As an addition, this differentiates to the correct integral upon checking so I'm fairly sure it's correct.)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2654
Original post by justinawe
The fact that it's mostly statistics. Sounds quite boring tbh :redface:

Ahh, I'm unsure because of the endless exams/working/studying that last for years and years:afraid:

Yeah and its not really proper maths if you get me :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2655
Original post by CD315

Seems a rather awkward way to do it :tongue:

35y31y2dy[br][br]=5y(1y2)5y+31y2dy[br][br]=53(1y2)32+5(1y2)12+3arcsiny+C[br][br]=531y2(2+y2)+3arcsin(y)+C\displaystyle\int \dfrac{3-5y^3}{\sqrt{1-y^2}} dy[br][br]=\displaystyle\int \dfrac{5y(1-y^2)-5y+3}{\sqrt{1-y^2}} dy[br][br]=-\dfrac{5}{3} (1-y^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}+5(1-y^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}+3\arcsin{y}+C[br][br]=\dfrac{5}{3} \sqrt{1-y^2}(2+y^2)+3\arcsin(y) +C :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2656
Original post by DJMayes
From a very quick attempt I get 53(1y2)1.5+5(1y2)0.5+3arcsiny+c \frac{-5}{3}(1-y^2)^{1.5}+5(1-y^2)^{0.5} + 3arcsiny + c .

(As an addition, this differentiates to the correct integral upon checking so I'm fairly sure it's correct.)

Original post by Jkn
Seems a rather awkward way to do it :tongue:

35y31y2dy[br][br]=5y(1y2)5y+31y2dy[br][br]=53(1y2)32+5(1y2)12+3arcsiny+C[br][br]=531y2(2+y2)+3arcsin(y)+C\displaystyle\int \dfrac{3-5y^3}{\sqrt{1-y^2}} dy[br][br]=\displaystyle\int \dfrac{5y(1-y^2)-5y+3}{\sqrt{1-y^2}} dy[br][br]=-\dfrac{5}{3} (1-y^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}+5(1-y^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}+3\arcsin{y}+C[br][br]=\dfrac{5}{3} \sqrt{1-y^2}(2+y^2)+3\arcsin(y) +C :tongue:

F***. My answer includes an 113sin1y\dfrac{11}{3}sin^-1y
Original post by DJMayes

I got this too. ^

Original post by CD315
x
I had alarm bells ringing during that question! Needless to say that's not a mistake I would ever make again! I would not be able to endure another endless wave of constant jeering from my teacher or fellow classmates :colone:

Sorry to bust your bubble, I was also hoping to get 99 but I lost 2 marks for the y-coordinate :frown:. There's a method mark for attempt in plugging in your x value into the solution, and an accuracy mark for getting the correct y-coordinate. 98 is still pretty good!

What if 73/75 is 99 UMS? :colone:

Yeah like I said I'm not a UMS scavenger type so 98 is brilliant :smile: I would take anything above 90 tbh. But when it gets close to a 100, and you lose a mark for something like that, then it's just :angry:

Latest