The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2680
Please guys, I know this is boring to hear but don't discuss the exams.
People may still have yet to do the exams and giving them the answers is giving them a higher mark which is making the grade curve steeper for yourself. If you want 60/75 to be A stop discussing. Thanks.

:smile:
Original post by CD315
I just noticed my mistake. At one point I had sin^3x, then I split that up into sinx(1-cos^2x). However, when expanding I forgot about the sinx so had

sinx - cos^2x. Instead of sinx - sinxcos^2x.

****. Feel so stupid.

How many marks would I lose here? Was out of 5.

I would guess at losing 3 maximum (LIkely 3). You'll likely get at least a couple of marks for choosing the substitution and correctly performing it, but then you'll lose the marks for solving the transformed integral, maybe picking up another method mark if they see that it was just forgetting the sine and expanding wrong.

(Be expecting 2 marks, maybe 3 if you're lucky - also bear in mind I don't know what CCEA marking is like, I'm going by how Edexcel would be likely to do it!)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NabRoh
Please guys, I know this is boring to hear but don't discuss the exams.
People may still have yet to do the exams and giving them the answers is giving them a higher mark which is making the grade curve steeper for yourself. If you want 60/75 to be A stop discussing. Thanks.

:smile:

The only discussion that is going on is not for an Edexcel exam. Only Edexcel exams are taken at different times as they are not UK-based only.
Reply 2683
Original post by DJMayes
I would guess at losing 3 maximum (LIkely 3). You'll likely get at least a couple of marks for choosing the substitution and correctly performing it, but then you'll lose the marks for solving the transformed integral, maybe picking up another method mark if they see that it was just forgetting the sine and expanding wrong.

(Be expecting 2, maybe 3 if you're lucky - also bear in mind I don't know what CCEA marking is like, I'm going by how Edexcel would be likely to do it!)

I feel like **** now. Such a STUPID mistake.
Reply 2684
Original post by justinawe
The only discussion that is going on is not for an Edexcel exam. Only Edexcel exams are taken at different times as they are not UK-based only.

Umm are you sure? Sounds like an exam I just did, you could be right though. I'll stay quiet. Cheers. :smile:
Boy_wonder_95

you quoted me a few minutes ago? wassup?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NabRoh
Umm are you sure? Sounds like an exam I just did, you could be right though. I'll stay quiet. Cheers. :smile:

Did you do CCEA FP3?
Original post by NabRoh

I completely agree with you regarding the majority as they're itching to discuss Edexcel C2. However, CD315 and I are discussing the CCEA FP3 exam, for which discussion is permitted as they're a UK only exam board.

Original post by CD315
I feel like **** now. Such a STUPID mistake.

It's understandably annoying but it shouldn't damage much except 100 UMS prospects. How was the rest of the paper?
Reply 2688
Original post by NabRoh

NabRoh, I thought that too for a second x_x Then they started talking about something weird hahaha
Good point though :thumbsup:
Reply 2689
Original post by DJMayes
I completely agree with you regarding the majority as they're itching to discuss Edexcel C2. However, CD315 and I are discussing the CCEA FP3 exam, for which discussion is permitted as they're a UK only exam board.

Original post by justinawe
Did you do CCEA FP3?

Yep there's kind of a multi-convo going on here with references/points about C2 so my post was more to them. You guys can keep discussing your FP3, sorry to intrude. :smile:
Reply 2690
Original post by DJMayes

It's understandably annoying but it shouldn't damage much except 100 UMS prospects. How was the rest of the paper?

It was more difficult than usual in my opinion, so hoping for some scaling to offset those 3 marks lost. Although, it's hard to say if that'll happen or not (it's certainly likely though). I don't think I've lost any more marks in the paper, unless I've made any more silly errors..
Original post by gaffer dean
you quoted me a few minutes ago? what was it?

I said "a bit harsh?", then I thought why bother as I don't even know the person :dontknow:.
Original post by CD315
It was more difficult than usual in my opinion, so hoping for some scaling to offset those 3 marks lost. Although, it's hard to say if that'll happen or not (it's certainly likely though). I don't think I've lost any more marks in the paper, unless I've made any more silly errors..

Will have to take a look. That integral (if it had no guidance) seems relatively challenging for A level.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I said "a bit harsh?", then I thought why bother as I don't even know the person :dontknow:.

my apologies, I have deleted my post now. I didn't intend to upset her.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2694
Original post by DJMayes
Will have to take a look. That integral (if it had no guidance) seems relatively challenging for A level.

It kind of threw me off as I wasn't expecting it :tongue: Not that it's overly hard, I should have aced it. I was just kind of shocked they didn't even give the sub or anything, and the fact it was only worth 5 marks made me think I was going down the wrong route (which apparently I was :tongue:)

I'll be posting pictures of it soon, I'll link you to the thread when I do if you're interested.
Now that I've finished all my maths exam for AS, i was considering doing A2 Maths and AS Further Maths in Year 13. Do any older students have any tips or advice?
Reply 2696
Original post by DJMayes
I used the substitution you did to get my answer.

Why use a substitution when you can use algebra though... it's so elegant :colondollar:
Original post by Jkn
Why use a substitution when you can use algebra though... it's so elegant :colondollar:

Because it is neither any quicker or easier to use the algebra, and I see no reason to use a method that has no advantage over another simply because "it looks better".

Original post by Polypocus
Now that I've finished all my maths exam for AS, i was considering doing A2 Maths and AS Further Maths in Year 13. Do any older students have any tips or advice?

Certainly a good idea if you want to do something mathematical further on. It's also nice as the AS Further would allow you to engage more in your preferred choice of applied, and it's generally a nice subject.
Reply 2698
Original post by DJMayes

If you're interested and can make my photos out;

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=42789561&highlight=
Original post by DJMayes
Because it is neither any quicker or easier to use the algebra, and I see no reason to use a method that has no advantage over another simply because "it looks better".

Certainly a good idea if you want to do something mathematical further on. It's also nice as the AS Further would allow you to engage more in your preferred choice of applied, and it's generally a nice subject.

Do you think learning AS Further during the summer will be a good idea considering I'll have A2 Chemistry, Economics, Maths to deal with during the year?

Latest

Trending

Trending