The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD315
If you're interested and can make my photos out;

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=42789561&highlight=

Interesting; I may well take a look at some CCEA papers as they look like they'd be good preparation for Edexcel. Are the only topics vectors, integration, differentiation and hyperbolics? From that scan those are all I could see, which are all in Edexcel along with co-ordinate systems and matrices
Reply 2701
Original post by CD315
I feel like **** now. Such a STUPID mistake.

There's really no point in feeling dissatisfied with not getting full marks on a-level modules. Many people assume that, because there are less places on the UK's top maths courses than there are people that get 100UMS on a module, that they've got no chance of getting offers without such competitive results. I certainly believed that last year before I realised that a-level isn't testing the same kind of ability. For this reasons, I doubt they even notice the difference between a 93 and a 100. Let alone a 97 and a 100 :smile: In my case, my module scores weren't insane by the standards of TSR.

And there were plenty of people at my school that got similar marks to me in pretty much everything and yet if you sat them down in an Cambridge interview or in front of a few practice STEP questions, they would met certainly crumble! In summary: UMS doesn't matter. Just be happy that you've got one less exam to worry about! :biggrin:

Though, everything I say is pretty much bull**** anyway because it says the opposite here. :colone:

Edit: Who on earth nagged me and why? I'm being supportive :eek: ..or trying to!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Polypocus
Do you think learning AS Further during the summer will be a good idea considering I'll have A2 Chemistry, Economics, Maths to deal with during the year?

Three A2 subjects isn't that much work; you should be fine.

(I took up AS Additional Further last summer when going into A2 along with A2 Maths/Further Maths/Physics and it was fine - I've had enough time to take up the A2 as well.)

Original post by Jkn
There's really no point in feeling dissatisfied with not getting full marks on a-level modules. Many people assume that, because there are less places on the UK's top maths courses than there are people that get 100UMS on a module, that they've got no chance of getting offers without such competitive results. I certainly believed that last year before I realised that a-level isn't testing the same kind of ability. For this reasons, I doubt they even notice the difference between a 93 and a 100. Let alone a 97 and a 100 :smile: In my case, my module scores weren't insane by the standards of TSR.

And there were plenty of people at my school that got similar marks to me in pretty much everything and yet if you sat them down in an Cambridge interview or in front of a few practice STEP questions, they would met certainly crumble! In summary: UMS doesn't matter. Just be happy that you've got one less exam to worry about! :biggrin:

Though, everything I say is pretty much bull**** anyway because it says the opposite here. :colone:

Please stop flogging that joke - it stopped being funny the twenty seventh time...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by justinawe

Thank you for answering my questions fairly quickly this morning ... i believe your a good man! +rep

hopefully this will make you chuckle :

Spoiler

Ryan
Reply 2704
Original post by DJMayes
Interesting; I may well take a look at some CCEA papers as they look like they'd be good preparation for Edexcel. Are the only topics vectors, integration, differentiation and hyperbolics? From that scan those are all I could see, which are all in Edexcel along with co-ordinate systems and matrices

Pretty much. We had matrices in FP1 and we have coordinate systems in FP2. What did you think of that paper?

Original post by Jkn

Thanks man. I was kind of hoping this would be my best module though, as I'm personally more prone to mistakes in FP2 and M4. I'm paranoid about missing the A*.
Reply 2705
Original post by DJMayes
Because it is neither any quicker or easier to use the algebra, and I see no reason to use a method that has no advantage over another simply because "it looks better".

It's much quicker :eek: Did you not see the derivation I posted? It splits immediately into chain rule-chain rule-standard inverse trig identity! It was so simple that I could do it in my head before I typed it! :eek:

But how can you love (or even want to do) maths if you don't appreciate or care for mathematical elegance?:K:
Original post by NabRoh
Please guys, I know this is boring to hear but don't discuss the exams.
People may still have yet to do the exams and giving them the answers is giving them a higher mark which is making the grade curve steeper for yourself. If you want 60/75 to be A stop discussing. Thanks.

:smile:

Haha that's a good way of putting it :yy:
Back on the FP1 train now woop, only 1 exam left!
Reply 2708
Original post by DJMayes

Please stop flogging that joke - it stopped being funny the twenty seventh time...

Well the fact everyone's clearly got fed up is exactly why it's become even more hysterical :lol: :lol:
Original post by CD315

Thanks man. I was kind of hoping this would be my best module though, as I'm personally more prone to mistakes in FP2 and M4. I'm paranoid about missing the A*.

I'm sure you'll do fine! I've found I got higher scores on the modules I didn't stress over as much! :smile:
Reply 2709
How many out of 75 do you think for 83 ums roughly?
Original post by Robbie242
Back on the FP1 train now woop, only 1 exam left!

Huh?! I've got 7 :eek:
Reply 2711
Original post by Jkn
Well the fact everyone's clearly got fed up is exactly why it's become even more hysterical :lol: :lol:

I'm sure you'll do fine! I've found I got higher scores on the modules I didn't stress over as much! :smile:

I guess the good thing about being part of a smaller exam board is it's likely to scale more with a hard paper. At least that was the case last year - in our M3 exam, it was significantly more difficult than the past papers and it seemed to hit all candidates hard - it got scaled significantly!
Original post by joostan

D: Are those A2 exams I suppose? (since those are usually taken in june)

Well I just knocked two out today, 1 out on wednesday and 4 last week so its being quite intense :tongue:
Original post by frannyw
How many out of 75 do you think for 83 ums roughly?

I'm guessing 63/64. :smile:
Original post by Jkn
It's much quicker :eek: Did you not see the derivation I posted? It splits immediately into chain rule-chain rule-standard inverse trig identity! It was so simple that I could do it in my head before I typed it! :eek:

But how can you love (or even want to do) maths if you don't appreciate or care for mathematical elegance?:K:

I saw it, and it is not that much quicker. It is simply an alternative method.

As for your second question, I'm going to restrain myself from replying with an equally rude response.
Reply 2715
Original post by joostan

Pussy! :lol: I'm 2 down, 11 to go! :lol:
Original post by CD315
I guess the good thing about being part of a smaller exam board is it's likely to scale more with a hard paper. At least that was the case last year - in our M3 exam, it was significantly more difficult than the past papers and it seemed to hit all candidates hard - it got scaled significantly!

Mmm probably! Some papers are just odd! Like on edexcel you normally need >95% for an A* (hence why everyone seems to have either 100-ish or not even 90UMS) and yet look at last year's Mechanics papers! :eek:
Reply 2716
Original post by James A
Please guys, if you did Edexcel C2 today, no discussion about the exam questions whatsoever.

lol why not?:cool:
Original post by jwonka
lol why not?:cool:

read the red thing at the top
Reply 2718
Original post by DJMayes
I saw it, and it is not that much quicker. It is simply an alternative method.

As for your second question, I'm going to restrain myself from replying with an equally rude response.

Do a sense a Pure vs. Applied brawl beginning... ? :jerry:

I await your rude response eagerly :colone:
Original post by Jkn
Do a sense a Pure vs. Applied brawl beginning... ? :jerry:

I await your rude response eagerly :colone:

No, you don't. Pure vs Applied is completely tangential to anything that has been said thus far.

Latest