The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2760
Original post by James A
Four hours till we can talk about the answers.

Hahaha :biggrin: i'm so impatient...can't wait :wink:
Original post by Jkn
Ah but I do, my spider senses are tingling :colone:

You suggested you did not care for mathematical elegance \Rightarrow you are an applied mathematician :qed:

No. I stated that I used the method of substitution for the integral because it was the most obvious and that I did not consider the alternate method you were suggesting sufficiently advantageous in order to use that instead.

To the second point, I did not at any point make any comment on mathematical elegance. I like neat problems with neat solutions, and I can appreciate a good piece of mathematics as much as anyone else. You have constructed the idea that I do not care for mathematical elegance on the (false) assumption that your method for solving that integral was particularly elegant. It wasn't - it was an alternative method for solving an integral that was no more or no less elegant than an obvious substitution that transformed the integral into something nice. The only boon of your method is it being quicker if you notice it; it's not more simple to notice and it's not that much neater as the transformed integral is equally as nice.

To the final point - I am not an applied mathematician. Neither am I a pure mathematician. I am a maths student, as is everyone else here. The difference you're perceiving is that I do not believe I have studied enough Maths to a deep enough level to make an informed decision on which kind of Maths I prefer, so I strive to do all of it rather than pigeonholing myself to pure maths because other people think it's better.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2762
That period of utter procrastination and total dip in productivity when you hit enter after typing in youtube.com
Original post by Polypocus
Important for Economics courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yh it's an integral part of Economics, I could name the usages but I don't wanna clog up this thread too much, you might be doing Stats already as part of your Maths course but if not do at least up to S2
Reply 2764
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Well yh it's an integral part of Economics, I could name the usages but I don't wanna clog up this thread too much, you might be doing Stats already as part of your Maths course but if not do at least up to S2

Ah thats good because i'm doing s1 & s2 :biggrin:
We might need to have a further discussion lools

Original post by NabRoh
That period of utter procrastination and total dip in productivity when you hit enter after typing in youtube.com

Ahh, unless your 'youtubing' exam solutions or revision videos your just gonna end up watching random shiz :h::giggle:
(edited 10 years ago)

I am indeed but yes I'll do S2 next year so that'll be fine!
Economics related courses, looking at straight Economics, Economics with Maths or hopefully (possibly) Economics and Management at Oxford
Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're looking at Economics with Maths, wouldn't Economics at Cambridge be a better bet than E&M at the Other Place?

I believe the Cambridge course has more of a reputation for mathematical rigour, given that it's a straight Economics course.

That said, Oxford could well have some comparable modules, so it might be worth posting in the Oxbridge forum to ask about a comparison of the level of maths involved on each course.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tigerz
Ah thats good because i'm doing s1 & s2 :biggrin:
We might need to have a further discussion lools

Sure thing :wink:
Only 2hrs and 45 mins left...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by The Polymath
If you're looking at Economics with Maths, wouldn't Economics at Cambridge be a better bet than E&M at the Other Place?

Looking at all the different types of Economics degrees and I feel I have a better chance of getting into Oxford compared to Cambridge ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Polymath

I believe the Cambridge course has more of a reputation for mathematical rigour, given that it's a straight Economics course.

That said, Oxford could well have some comparable modules, so it might be worth posting in the Oxbridge forum to ask about a comparison of the level of maths involved on each course.

:colone: Exactly what the admissions tutor called Oxford when I went to the Pembroke open day :P

I suppose not just Pembroke, refers to Oxford in that way :tongue:
Looking at all the different types of Economics degrees and I feel I have a better chance of getting into Oxford compared to Cambridge ..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why's that?
Looking at all the different types of Economics degrees and I feel I have a better chance of getting into Oxford compared to Cambridge ..Posted from TSR Mobile

Why's that, might I ask? Most people will probably stand a better chance at one than the other, I'm just wondering what your reasoning is :smile:

Original post by Robbie242
:colone: Exactly what the admissions tutor called Oxford when I went to the Pembroke open day :P

Please refrain from profanity on TSR, as outlined in the forum guidelines. Thank you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2772
Original post by Robbie242

LOL yeah I went Cambridge last year , they also called it 'that other place down there' :giggle:

Sure thing :wink:
Only 2hrs and 45 mins left...

Haha, you is very knowledgeable, it will help me decide :smile:
WAHEY! Then I can calculate my AS maths average, gotta love Arseys model answers!

edit: I have nothing for/against either Oxford or Cambridge :smile: Just found it funny that they say that LOL I love rivalry
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm really going to try to avoid looking at solutions tonight. Need my sleep to get revising for sciences from tomorrow, neglected them so much over the last 10 days :redface: Are we expecting any surprises?
Original post by tigerz

Haha, you is very knowledgeable, it will help me decide :smile:
WAHEY! Then I can calculate my AS maths average, gotta love Arseys model answers!

I'm curious to see what types of questions came up this year around, so I think I'll be staying up too :tongue:
Reply 2775
Uh everyone is gonna get like 75 /75 and make high grade b oundaries um stop it please i need an A ok
Reply 2776
Original post by MathsNerd1
I'm curious to see what types of questions came up this year around, so I think I'll be staying up too :tongue:

Okays :smile: should be good
Original post by tigerz
Okays :smile: should be good

Indeed! I'll probably try some STEP questions at that time of night too as there's nothing else I could do really :tongue:
Original post by tigerz
Hahaha :biggrin: i'm so impatient...can't wait :wink:

I know where I stand as far as my performance goes.

I'm gonna see if Arsey uploads the solutions bang on at midnight. For the S1 and C1 exams he was bang on at midnight (although I didn't do those papers, I still just wanted to see what everyone's reaction was.

Arsey is a legend :badger:
Hey u guys how was c2

Latest

Trending

Trending