The Student Room Group

Applying abroad to study medicine (Romania, Bulgaria etc)..NEED HELP !!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Anybody for MU Sofia? :smile:
Reply 61
Hi evry1 I'm applying to cluj and umf iasi I got 3 Bs in biology chem and maths and have done 4 months of work experience and worked as a receptionist.do I have a chance? Am
applying for dentistry btw.thanks again!
Reply 62
Original post by 128arin
Hi evry1 I'm applying to cluj and umf iasi I got 3 Bs in biology chem and maths and have done 4 months of work experience and worked as a receptionist.do I have a chance? Am
applying for dentistry btw.thanks again!

you will have to sit through an entrance exam in order to get ranked and get an offer.
Reply 63
Original post by Arran.Williamson
Call the uni and ask, apparently that's around their average for most the universities there, I think Cluj asks for higher though.

I would try a uni that isn't as heavily weighted on previous grades. I'm going for Carol Davila (but for medicine). From what i've heard, its not as competitive in that respect, much to my dismay as I've got AAA* and a biochem degree.

hi mate..they sed they want BBB at a level..davila i dont think does dentistry in english?thnks again
Reply 64
Original post by dent2012

you will have to sit through an entrance exam in order to get ranked and get an offer.

hii mate ,,yh the exam is optional and only in romanian..eu citizens may opt for it to get a seat as a local and the fees would be lower..but you dont have to do it!
If you are gonna study medicine in Romania, then you should stay away from UMF Gr.T Popa. medical university in Iasi.

I'm talking about things I've experienced in that university.

The most Corrupted university in Romania, where the dean, the professors and teachers expect you to pay 5000€ in school fee which is ok, but also between 700-1000 to pass exams. And that's for each subject(so multiply that with all the subjects) They wouldn't let you pass unless. Try Oradea,Timisoara, Targu Mures.
good luck
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 66
do you guys know if we have to submit translated and legalised copies of our documents before or after we admitted?
Reply 67
You will need it as part of your initial applications for both the ministry of education and to the University in Romania.

And as you'll need the letter from the ministry (basically stating the equivalence of your credentials) as part of your application to the university, you'll need them translated and and legalised quite far in advanced to the university application, so that you can leave enough time to get it all sorted from the ministry of education first.

how long and approximately how much it costs for all that? any idea please?
Reply 68
I'm actually about to do it in the next week or two, so I don't know yet, but they tell you to go to the embassy to get it done but that'll be a rip of so i'm going to call the uni to see if they'll accept it from any notary office or if they have specific requirements. A Romanian notary office would be pretty cheap I think.

I guess would be 100+ pounds for all the documents but I'll post a proper estimate in the next few weeks.

Time wise I don't have a clue, I think I saw one online that said it'll take a week to get the documents notarised but I'm sure that it would take less than that

Are you London based?

If you are going to get UK documents notorised then they have to be notorised by a solicitor/notary in the UK.
Reply 69
Original post by almays88
Hey last year I applied to carol Davila and there were about 40 students (around 35 applied through plus med) from the UK, all got rejected and they don't care about your grades, all that matters is the English test results. I also got rejected so I decided to go along with around 15 British students to Craiova since it is the biggest medical Uni in Romania with the biggest hospital.
I love it here at the moment and the university organise elections and allow students to take control of the organisation of the course and there are so many opportunities to do practical work in the hospital and clinics here. The city is great with lots to do and a great night life and funny enough it is a lot safer than majority of UK cities which is something I didn't expect before coming here.

If you have any question send me a message ?

In Romania, Craiova is considered to be one of the most dangerous cities.
Reply 70
I will, I got my gf to call up (She's Romanian, but studying here in London) and they've said I will have no problem getting in based on my academic track record, so I think I'll be fine.

But my God do they ask for a tonne of documents!!!

I spoke my gf's Dad (he's president of commerce and industry for Moldova and Romania and deals in medical goods) and he's assured me that a bribe wont be necessary. Whereas in most institutions it is a norm (like 'tipping' your doctor), he's stated that the university is respectable and would be insulted by the gesture if I was to put it forward.

where are you applying?

Regards

Arran

Good for you. Don't listen to the guy. I don't know how the procedures go for international students, but for romanians the most competitive medical schools to get in are definitely Carol Davila and UMF Cluj. Most students prepare two years in advance for the entry exams. Also, Davila is the only romanian uni with a Nobel-prize laureate amongst its alumni. Iasi and Targu-Mures are also pretty reputable, but I think they lowered their standards over the past few years.
PS: It's kind of weird to see so many brits talking about romanian universities, whilst in Romania, the idea of going to a british uni after graduation is what keeps many students focused on studying.
Reply 71
Original post by Radu Miron
Good for you. Don't listen to the guy. I don't know how the procedures go for international students, but for romanians the most competitive medical schools to get in are definitely Carol Davila and UMF Cluj. Most students prepare two years in advance for the entry exams. Also, Davila is the only romanian uni with a Nobel-prize laureate amongst its alumni. Iasi and Targu-Mures are also pretty reputable, but I think they lowered their standards over the past few years.
PS: It's kind of weird to see so many brits talking about romanian universities, whilst in Romania, the idea of going to a british uni after graduation is what keeps many students focused on studying.

and what is your opinion about costanta??????
Reply 72
Original post by sofiama
and what is your opinion about costanta??????

Well...my personal opinion shouldn.t be taken as objective reference. I had quite a number of friends applying to medical schools in high-school, but I only lived in Cluj and Iasi and thus I didn't hear a lot about Constanta. Anyway...I looked it up and apparently the government classifies the universities in terms of quality. Iasi, Cluj and Davila are A-Class. Timisoara, Targu-Mures, Constanta and Craiova are B-Class. An untranslated link would be this: http://www.evz.ro/detalii/stiri/vezi-cele-mai-bune-si-cele-mai-proaste-facultati-de-medicina-din-tara-948185.html
So..I guess Constanta is OK, but not the best. Also..there's the advantage of being at the seaside:wink:
Reply 73
Original post by Radu Miron
Well...my personal opinion shouldn.t be taken as objective reference. I had quite a number of friends applying to medical schools in high-school, but I only lived in Cluj and Iasi and thus I didn't hear a lot about Constanta. Anyway...I looked it up and apparently the government classifies the universities in terms of quality. Iasi, Cluj and Davila are A-Class. Timisoara, Targu-Mures, Constanta and Craiova are B-Class. An untranslated link would be this: http://www.evz.ro/detalii/stiri/vezi-cele-mai-bune-si-cele-mai-proaste-facultati-de-medicina-din-tara-948185.html
So..I guess Constanta is OK, but not the best. Also..there's the advantage of being at the seaside:wink:
when u say government u mean the romanian government????
Reply 74
hi
is anyone applying to the university of zegrab in croatia or know if its difficult to get accepted?
Reply 75
Hi guys I want to go to ovidia constanta for medicine but what are the grade requirements as I am doing psychology, chemistry, biology and accomodation costs as well please. Thank you

P.S should I apply through an agent or just fill in the online application form. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.:biggrin:
Reply 76
Original post by msadvisors
Being in limbo sucks! So many of out clients tell us a similar story. Let me have a go at answering your questions...

- From my experience Bulgarian universities have some catching up to do with Romania. We plan to work in Bulgaria within a few months, but for now we're finishing off with the 2012 applications to Romania.

- Grades: Although application to Romanian medical schools technically does not require exceptional results, we've noticed far more competition this year as Romania grows in popularity amongst European applicants. If you apply later in the cycle it's possible for an applicant with better results to be given preference. This is not official, just something we've observed.

* The Chem & Bio grades you have, would put you ahead many of our applicants *

- I'd say the biggest hurdle with the application process is organization and communication between the various institutes and government departments that your application file has to go through. It's almost like a gauntlet of death! Hence the reason for so "for a million agencies with their own agenda". We've been working in Romania since 2001 and we too are surprised at how many questionable service providers have appeared over the years. We even found one that had copied our website word for word!

We take our clients files directly to the Ministry of Education where they are reviewed. This gives us the advantage of correcting any errors in the file instead of having it declined for something silly like an unclear photocopy or incorrectly spelt last name in the application form. The officials really scrutinize every application.

- Budget: You're looking at a comfortable annual budget of 12 000 Euros including tuition, accommodation (your own or shared apartment), food etc. This is an important factor for many of our non-EU applicants who generally have smaller budgets.

- Application deadline: We're just about to close off our applications for this year (2012). As it stands there are few more applicants from the UK and Norway who are insisting on trying for this year, that we are helping out.

I hope this answers most of your questions.

MSA (Medical Student Advisors)

Hey there... i am currently planning to apply for medicine in Romania and i was wondering if you have any information about it
Reply 77
Original post by Samira95
For people who want to study medicine in Romania, I would recommend Oradea. My sister studies there, she's in her third year now. She has confirmed that there is no corruption going on there unlike many universities in romania e.g iasi, timisoara

The was also this guy that has transferred from another university in romania in her class, apparently he did not even go the lectures and hardly ever came to uni. At the end he tried to bribe the lecturer by giving him 20 000 euros and demanding to go the next level. The lecturer just laughed at him and told all the students in the uni.

Oradea is also fairly cheap, i think the tuition fee is about 2500 pounds, and scholarships are offered if you show excellent results each year. I know few people who got this scholarship and they don't have to pay for the whole year. However the scholarship has to be earned every year.

Sadly only medicine is taught in English, therefore I need to find another university as I want to pursue career in Dentistry. I still have time though as I am starting my A2 next academic year.

Wish you people all the best, and keep away from the corrupted universities. So far what I heard from the experiences of my sister's friends. Carol devila,arad,timisoara,iasi are corrupted. You have to pay thousands just pass one exam. Cluj is really good, but requires high grades. I would advise you to do lot of research.
Peace out!

Hey there.. how did your sister apply to the university?? did she apply straight to university or through an agent ?
Reply 78
any iasi applicants out there??
Reply 79
guys could someone tell me the whole budget including fees, accomodation and every other cost of studying medicine in constanta uni. Thanks
Gosh the deadline is the 31st and I am applying now! oh and will they take someone with BCD/C in ALEVEL psych ,chem,bio and GCSE 1A* 2AS 3Bs 4CS :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending