The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2940
Mourinho is coming back ^^
time to rool again
What do you guys think about Benteke at chelsea next season? Worth a bid?
Not sure anymore. I really wanted Benteke before but after reading some comments by others (mainly Arsenal fans) I've changed my mind. Definitely not for 25m anyways. Lukaku is the same - but he can better.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by christopher23

Him and Lukaku are essentially the same type of player!
Reply 2944
Original post by The Assassin
Wait, we lost to Monaco in 2004? I didn't even remember... were they good back then or was it just lucky? :s-smilie:

EDIT: Actually I can vaguely remember it... Morientes...

EDIT2: Oh I forgot Ranieri is their manager now... hopefully we meet them again, lol!

Deschamps was the manager, they also had evra at the time.
Hopefully we meet them again and ranieri will play his DM at right back and his right back at centre back against us this time :facepalm2:

Not worth a bid. Why stifle the progress of one of the two belgian talents, he deserves to be at another club, let lukaku shine here and benteke shine at another big club. Makes it fun tbh. Plus anyway lukaku, torres and ba would be more than enough for next season.
Original post by Isometrix
Him and Lukaku are essentially the same type of player!

true, so in light of lukaku possibly returning to the squad, do you think with Ba and Torres.. do we really need another striker this summer? Ive been hearing things about Cavani maybe coming.
true, so in light of lukaku possibly returning to the squad, do you think with Ba and Torres.. do we really need another striker this summer? Ive been hearing things about Cavani maybe coming.

Allow Cavani, I think we should be set with those three. I guess we'll have a look in pre-season as to how well Lukaku fits in with the three playing behind him, because he was playing in a different system at West Brom. But there's no reason why he can't continue from where he left off from this season.
Reply 2947

No need for cavani personally. That's 4 strikers for one position most likely. Ba and torres will be good enough for backups, we'd rotate them for CL matches and that too.
KTBFFH
Original post by jam277
Deschamps was the manager, they also had evra at the time.
Hopefully we meet them again and ranieri will play his DM at right back and his right back at centre back against us this time :facepalm2:

Would lol if that happened. :lol:
Also, saw a comment regarding Chelsea's future, quite liked the idea of it even though I thought he was being a bit too hopeful:

"Do you not see the bigger picture? We've built the academy, we've invested in youth, we've made our initial growth, we've started to make a profit, our old guard have become the core, Terry is taking his coaching badges, we've won the most trophies in our history, we've made our mark, Mourinho has done his lap of Europe, proved his worth in most of the leagues, we're going to expand the Bridge, we're becoming a global brand.

Do you not see it? We're becoming the next superclub. The next step is longevity and there's only one man who can take the helm. This is for the long term."
Reply 2951
Wait, we lost to Monaco in 2004? I didn't even remember... were they good back then or was it just lucky? :s-smilie:

EDIT: Actually I can vaguely remember it... Morientes...

EDIT2: Oh I forgot Ranieri is their manager now... hopefully we meet them again, lol!

I remember that game. It's one of the first Chelsea games I can vivid remember. Jesper Gronkjaer scored from a cross.

The 'Tinker Man' and his poor substitutions cost us if I remember. It was a difficult game but we could have won if it wasn't for some bizarre tactics.
Original post by Tweek
I remember that game. It's one of the first Chelsea games I can vivid remember. Jesper Gronkjaer scored from a cross.

The 'Tinker Man' and his poor substitutions cost us if I remember. It was a difficult game but we could have won if it wasn't for some bizarre tactics.

Yeah you're right - just like jam was talking about. Ranieri subbed Gronkjaer for Veron as well :s-smilie:
Reply 2953
Also, saw a comment regarding Chelsea's future, quite liked the idea of it even though I thought he was being a bit too hopeful:

"Do you not see the bigger picture? We've built the academy, we've invested in youth, we've made our initial growth, we've started to make a profit, our old guard have become the core, Terry is taking his coaching badges, we've won the most trophies in our history, we've made our mark, Mourinho has done his lap of Europe, proved his worth in most of the leagues, we're going to expand the Bridge, we're becoming a global brand.

Do you not see it? We're becoming the next superclub. The next step is longevity and there's only one man who can take the helm. This is for the long term."

We'll have to see. Hopefully this is the case. Tbh were it not for man united, we would probably be close to superclub status as we've been the second strongest team over the past decade in england and would have lead to (80's bayern) like domination. We're a few years behind but hopefully if the project stays until the end of this decade, we'll hopefully be here to stay.

The academy and investment in youth is pointless if you don't give any youngsters the chance to make it into the first team. Have any youngsters made it through to the team since Ambramovich bought the club?
Chelsea's issue is that Man City are doing the same thing but on a shorter timetable so they'll have caught up with you in a few years - then you've got two rich clubs fighting for silverware and the same set of fans who are willing to pick a new team.

na benteke is so overrated, hes always offside. plus anyone at villa who can play looks half decent! we will porbs have lukaku back and just play him although i dont think hes ready!
cavanni and torres up front, allow the others!
Original post by Zerforax
The academy and investment in youth is pointless if you don't give any youngsters the chance to make it into the first team. Have any youngsters made it through to the team since Ambramovich bought the club?
Chelsea's issue is that Man City are doing the same thing but on a shorter timetable so they'll have caught up with you in a few years - then you've got two rich clubs fighting for silverware and the same set of fans who are willing to pick a new team.

Does Ryan Bertrand count? He played a fair bit of first team football in 2011-2012 and has a Champions League medal to show for it. They do need a chance in the first team since they have more or less shown their quality in both the FA youth Cup final the NextGen series (a youth CL equivalent) reaching to the finals in both. One way to force the issue would be that clubs have to have x amount of players who have trained with them since the age of 14 to be in the first team or something. That way it stops clubs buying up promising talent from other clubs and claiming to have developed them or hoarding them instead. Remember John Bostock? Moving to a 'bigger' club to improve your development isn't always the correct career path because, even if you're not good enough, you have suffered by jumping ahead and having very little, if ever, first team football in the process.
Reply 2958
Original post by Zerforax

Bertrand would count. He's just unfortunate that he has the best LB in the world in front of him, same thing goes for gibbs at arsenal.
If you're talking about straight up academy players since the age of 8, then no one, but that's the case with almost every team, only liverpool, arsenal and united have had pure academy players come through recently, liverpool just about count with sterling/kelly, arsenal count with wilshere and gibbs, while united count with cleverley(although he was taken from watford at the age of 12)
(edited 10 years ago)
That reminds me... Cole's contract ends at the end of the 2013/2014 season, I think. Wonder what we'll do then - offer him yet another extension (which is unlikely tbh), or go with Bertrand/attempt to get someone like Shaw? Aké can play as a left back but he seems to have shown more potential as a holding mid (and centre back)
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest