The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TimmonaPortella
T
This is me for four out of my five modules.

My plan next year is not to spend the entire michaelmas and lent terms doing things that aren't tripos work, so as not to be screwed at this point. (Alternatively, I could do other things in michaelmas and lent, but actually do work in michaelmas holidays rather than playing Halo for six weeks.)

The best of intentions never materialise! I've been trying for 4 years to work at home and do supervision properly. I've managed a total of less than a weeks work... including work for resits after 1st and 2nd year! and supervision work naturally comes second fiddle to sport/going out etc. I found that coming back over easter holidays when it matters (ie 3rd/4th year) and revising for like 10h a day from then until exams meant I was able to jump up 18% from 2nd to 3rd year :biggrin:
Original post by illusionz
The best of intentions never materialise! I've been trying for 4 years to work at home and do supervision properly. I've managed a total of less than a weeks work... including work for resits after 1st and 2nd year! and supervision work naturally comes second fiddle to sport/going out etc. I found that coming back over easter holidays when it matters (ie 3rd/4th year) and revising for like 10h a day from then until exams meant I was able to jump up 18% from 2nd to 3rd year :biggrin:

Actually, to be honest, I was mooting and doing careers stuff and other law stuff for most of Lent. So I'm screwed even though I didn't get out that much. How depressing is that?
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Actually, to be honest, I was mooting and doing careers stuff and other law stuff for most of Lent. So I'm screwed even though I didn't get out that much. How depressing is that?

Clearly did the wrong subject!
Reply 223
:bricks:
Reply 224
Original post by wibletg
:bricks:

Aww, I know the feeling. It's usually the cue for some tea and cake. :smile:
Original post by lp386

I know this seems to be asked every year, but as an economist (who's currently lurking :wink:) I thought you might be likely to know. Any idea where the Sidgwick Avenue Lecture-Rooms are? Are they where I think?

Spoiler

Reply 226
Original post by camaieu
Aww, I know the feeling. It's usually the cue for some tea and cake. :smile:

I need cake.

The problem is, I'm having a motivational crisis - at least with A Levels I had something to aim for (a Uni offer) whereas here I have nothing bar a 2.ii to transfer courses next year.

Just can't get keen.
Reply 227
Original post by wibletg
I need cake.

I know that feel. Cake is the best, although sometimes I find that biscuits can suffice. How about you; what do you think of biscuits?
Reply 228
Original post by Tortious
I know this seems to be asked every year, but as an economist (who's currently lurking :wink:) I thought you might be likely to know. Any idea where the Sidgwick Avenue Lecture-Rooms are? Are they where I think?

Spoiler

That's the one. Consider taking a cushion if you've not been before - it's long wooden benches which aren't nearly as comfortable as the Law Fac.

Original post by wibletg
I need cake.

The problem is, I'm having a motivational crisis - at least with A Levels I had something to aim for (a Uni offer) whereas here I have nothing bar a 2.ii to transfer courses next year.

Just can't get keen.

Unusual for the Cambridge environment (not the cake-needing, the complete lack of motivation.) Is it just that you only need a 2.ii?

Original post by Arcsinh
I know that feel. Cake is the best, although sometimes I find that biscuits can suffice. How about you; what do you think of biscuits?

I'm all for them.
Original post by lp386
That's the one. Consider taking a cushion if you've not been before - it's long wooden benches which aren't nearly as comfortable as the Law Fac.

I've had a lecture in Lady Mitchell Hall (?) before - the concrete building which sticks out at 90 degrees from the Buttery. Are those benches fairly representative?

(To be honest, after spending 12 hours on a delayed Eurostar recently, my butt can probably cope - I'm not a fan of exams in lecture theatres because the desks are so narrow compared to the "tables" in the Corn Exchange!)
Original post by wibletg
The problem is, I'm having a motivational crisis

Join the club. :colonhash: I need a pass to do my PhD next year, which due to completed exams it means I need 20/100 in my dissertation in terms of marks if they didn't have the rule that to pass the course you also need to pass the dissertation (60/100).
I've had a lecture in Lady Mitchell Hall (?) before - the concrete building which sticks out at 90 degrees from the Buttery. Are those benches fairly representative?

(To be honest, after spending 12 hours on a delayed Eurostar recently, my butt can probably cope - I'm not a fan of exams in lecture theatres because the desks are so narrow compared to the "tables" in the Corn Exchange!)

Do they not clamp boards to your desks? Whenever I have an exam in a lecture theatre (all of mine this year) they always stick these huge boards in, which are definitely at least the same size as the normal exam desks you'd use in the corn exchange, and I think maybe even slightly bigger. Otherwise you'd only have enough room to fit like 1 A4 page in front of you?

On a separate note, my exam this morning was okaayyy... but I keep thinking about things I should have written, and how I maybe didn't do what they were looking for (it's a new style of paper so I got slightly confused about what they actually wanted as it was quite different from our mock). Also hearing people talk about answers outside the exam hall is just the worst. :yucky:
Original post by Sockpirate
Do they not clamp boards to your desks? Whenever I have an exam in a lecture theatre (all of mine this year) they always stick these huge boards in, which are definitely at least the same size as the normal exam desks you'd use in the corn exchange, and I think maybe even slightly bigger. Otherwise you'd only have enough room to fit like 1 A4 page in front of you?

No, you just get the one A4 page. You're generally one seat apart from your neighbour, so there's an unspoken rule that you can put your watch/rough paper/pencil case over half (and he'll do the same), but unless you're sitting on an end to get an "extra" empty seat, you have to work on top of a pile of paper.

On a separate note, my exam this morning was okaayyy... but I keep thinking about things I should have written, and how I maybe didn't do what they were looking for (it's a new style of paper so I got slightly confused about what they actually wanted as it was quite different from our mock). Also hearing people talk about answers outside the exam hall is just the worst. :yucky:

Aww. Doesn't sound too bad - at least everyone will be in the same position in terms of not knowing exactly what "style" they're looking for. On an unrelated note, in case it makes you feel any better, I've seen Milo around a fair bit these past few days, and he looks so like Kit it's unreal! I went for a walk earlier at about 8:30pm and noticed the chef standing on the steps of Ivy Court stroking him - but she mistakenly let him through the door and he ended up in the Hall! All of the waiters and catering staff were standing around the doorway looking at him as I walked through, and he was sauntering out like he owned the place. It'd have made for a great photo! :biggrin:
No, you just get the one A4 page. You're generally one seat apart from your neighbour, so there's an unspoken rule that you can put your watch/rough paper/pencil case over half (and he'll do the same), but unless you're sitting on an end to get an "extra" empty seat, you have to work on top of a pile of paper.

Aww. Doesn't sound too bad - at least everyone will be in the same position in terms of not knowing exactly what "style" they're looking for. On an unrelated note, in case it makes you feel any better, I've seen Milo around a fair bit these past few days, and he looks so like Kit it's unreal! I went for a walk earlier at about 8:30pm and noticed the chef standing on the steps of Ivy Court stroking him - but she mistakenly let him through the door and he ended up in the Hall! All of the waiters and catering staff were standing around the doorway looking at him as I walked through, and he was sauntering out like he owned the place. It'd have made for a great photo! :biggrin:

One seat away?! In my exams, I'm at least 2m away from the nearest person - it'd be impossible to put your stuff near enough to them that they'd even notice, so I spread my stuff all over the place. I quite often use the bench immediately next to me too. I like spreading my stuff out :biggrin: it would annoy me so much if I couldn't. I wonder why there is the discrepancy though? I would have thought they'd try to standardise exam conditions... maybe it's an arts/science thing, because I guess for some of my exams I have to have a data book, question sheet, the graph I've just drawn, and lined paper for writing about it in front of me all at once, i.e. definitely not possible without the clamped board to give me room.
Also I guess with sciences you maybe have to be further away from each other because diagrams and graphs are easier to see than what someone else is writing, so its to prevent cheating? Or it may just be that we have a small year, and if there were more of us we'd be more bunched together.... who knows! :dontknow:

and I know! He totally does look like Kit. I love that Milo has adopted Pembroke as his college of choice - he's always around the JP at lunchtimes (especially when it's raining). I love our cats :love:
Original post by Sockpirate
and I know! He totally does look like Kit. I love that Milo has adopted Pembroke as his college of choice - he's always around the JP at lunchtimes (especially when it's raining). I love our cats :love:

I miss Kit though. Sometimes when I wandered around college at night and bumped into her, she'd follow me back to Foundress (where I lived last year) and I'd sit on the steps and stroke her. :sad:

No sign of Marie - or the Queens' cat - either. :erm: And now our female Porter seems to have gone AWOL. :indiff: (At least JS is back soon!)
Reply 235
Original post by lp386
Unusual for the Cambridge environment (not the cake-needing, the complete lack of motivation.) Is it just that you only need a 2.ii?

I'm not sure really - it's not a complete lack, but it's not as much motivation as I had this time last year :tongue:
Original post by wibletg
I need cake.

Just can't get keen.

Trust me, once you hit finals you will find the motivation. I was the same in first two years, spent more time playing croquet than working!
Reply 237
Can't wait for exams to be over...body doesn't like the strain that exam stress puts on it :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 238
Start in under 42 hours. I've suddenly become quite numb to the whole thing. Calm before the storm.

I don't really understand this newfound calm. As shown by my discussion with lp386, this is definitely NOT because I've done so much work there's none to do anymore. I spent all of yesterday reading articles for one topic in one subject (ended up feeling really overwhelmed and it was a stupid waste of time).

Watch me panic like hell on Monday morning.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Rob da Mop
BA1 the human animal. I might know her, although I've hated the course and haven't been the most sociable person :rolleyes:

Hmm, she might've done it last year, I think there are shared optional courses in 2nd and 3rd year... I always think BioAnth sounds really interesting though!

In other news, this is my calmest exam term yet. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing! And of course, I still have 2 days to work myself into a panic :s