The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3060
Original post by ljh950912
If you have written something in pencil, would it be scanned?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It should, i mean they do use high tech scanners (as you would expect from an exam board) and if not then someone will hand mark it.

They cant reject your paper because it was in pencil haha
Does anyone have the unofficial mark scheme of S2 for international paper?
Too many pages to read sorry! If I've missed a quote then tell me :/

Original post by Felix Felicis
I just got back home from boarding school, ergo, I can access sound cloud again and listened to your songs. My boxers have been well and truly sullied with seminal fluids. :colone:

Is that a good thing?:hubba:
Original post by goodkwong
Does anyone have the unofficial mark scheme of S2 for international paper?

You could ask whether one of the teachers can access the international paper but I don't know if anyone will be uploading any solutions.
Reply 3064
Mind if I join in guys?

I do Further Maths, but we do all of A Level Maths in Year 12 then all of A Level FM in Y13
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Giant
Mind if I join in guys?

I do Further Maths, but we do all of A Level Maths in Year 12 then all of A Level FM in Y13

Welcome!

Sit anything in January? And how were summer exams, C3/4 left?
Reply 3066
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Welcome!

Sit anything in January? And how were summer exams, C3/4 left?

Nope, I didn't do anything in January (except Critical Thinking)

Maths-wise, I've done M1, C1 and C2 so far and I reckon I've got 74,75,75 respectively according to Arsey. I've got to take M2, C3 and C4 after the half-term.

M2 and C3 are alright, but I'm finding C4 pretty tricky right now :P

How about you?
Original post by Giant
Nope, I didn't do anything in January (except Critical Thinking)

Maths-wise, I've done M1, C1 and C2 so far and I reckon I've got 74,75,75 respectively according to Arsey. I've got to take M2, C3 and C4 after the half-term.

M2 and C3 are alright, but I'm finding C4 pretty tricky right now :P

How about you?

Aah, those sound great!

Urmmm... January I did C1 and M1 (got 96 and 85 respectively) Sat C2 last week (hoping for 95 UMS but I think I ballsed it up) sat C3 yesterday (hoping it's above 90 UMS) and waiting for S1 and C4!

S1 I haven't covered properly (self taught maths) and C4 vectors are annoying :mmm:
Reply 3068
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Aah, those sound great!

Urmmm... January I did C1 and M1 (got 96 and 85 respectively) Sat C2 last week (hoping for 95 UMS but I think I ballsed it up) sat C3 yesterday (hoping it's above 90 UMS) and waiting for S1 and C4!

S1 I haven't covered properly (self taught maths) and C4 vectors are annoying :mmm:

I don't find Vectors too hard due to the fact I'm doing M1 and M2. But the vast amount of integrating techniques and differential equations seem to get me every now and then. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Giant
I don't find Vectors too hard due to the fact I'm doing M1 and M2. But the vast amount of integrating techniques and differential equations seem to get me every now and then. Good luck :smile:

Integration and Diff Equations aren't too bad once you've done a few, they're quite nice actually!

With WJEC though, in C4 it's only by parts and substitution. The recognition is done in C3.
Original post by James A
I use the official edexcel book, do all questions from the book, but there are some questions that are off spec/won't be asked.

In Maths, regardless of the exam board, practice makes perfect.

Original post by The Polymath
By answering more than "a few" from the book.

Original post by tigerz
To build up my knowledge I do a lot questions from the book (mostly in school)
Then for propper revision I just do a lot of past papers, edexcel, solomon, mocks, specimen and other random ones haha
Also, people on this forum are very helpful for revision :') I got some practice questions from them

If you feel comfortable with that then its fine, if you learn with your method its not really the 'wrong' way of revising! Are you satisfied with the performance in your exams?

Very true :smile: The best way to get good at maths is to practice, as you get more experienced you'll learn more :biggrin:

Original post by James A
That was an exaggeration, most of the questions I do though. Then you highlight the questions that you find hard and do them again. That way you are prepared for all the questions they could throw at you.

Thing is about those questions in the books, I don't even know how they get some of the answers to those solutions, I have the cd as well, but they skip so many steps some times.

And like for s1 I was learning how to find the mean of the mean, turns out it wasn't even in the spec :frown:

And thanks :smile:
Reply 3071
Original post by James A
That's still awesome, you'll be fine, come results day :woo:

fingers crossed for you!

Ahh thank you!! you to!! I hope I can get 3 A's :crossedf: Or at least an A and 2 high Bs

Original post by justinawe
I know that, it was 2 marks so I'll definitely get at least one mark for that. I'm hoping the examiner won't notice the slight slip up and award me the other mark anyway :lol:

Ahh, yeah you'll defo get one, maybe 2 if your lucky!
*benefit of the doubt given* LOLs

Original post by Blueray2
Thing is about those questions in the books, I don't even know how they get some of the answers to those solutions, I have the cd as well, but they skip so many steps some times.

And like for s1 I was learning how to find the mean of the mean, turns out it wasn't even in the spec :frown:

And thanks :smile:

Ahh, I just Google every question I don't get (Only just started coming back on TSR lols but now you could probably ask here)
Then I again I can't really speak, when I'm given the solution I can usually work out the method!
(edited 10 years ago)
Right, i totally messed up my C2 paper, i made so many stupid mistakes. For the garden question question when you have to work out the area of the sector, i did 2 pi - the other angle (and it was supposed to be pi fml) :frown:
I think i failed again.
Can someone please help me, how do you prevent yourself from making silly mistakes?? I know the content and stuff right, but when i go into the exam i just make stupid mistakes with these maths papers :frown:
please help someone please, i'm stressing big time here! :frown:
I've got two more papers but I need a B overall average 85-90! :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Better start my LONG day of revision now, otherwise I can only see myself failing in my approaching exams. That's right, I'm turning off TSR so I don't lose focus and get distracted :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jadecross
Right, i totally messed up my C2 paper, i made so many stupid mistakes. For the garden question question when you have to work out the area of the sector, i did 2 pi - the other angle (and it was supposed to be pi fml) :frown:
I think i failed again.
Can someone please help me, how can you prevent yourself from making silly mistakes?? I know the content and stuff right, but when i go into the exam i just make stupid mistakes with these maths papers :frown:
please help someone please, i'm stressing big time here! :frown:

My advice would be to take your time and not rush the question. Obviously time management is crucial, but generally I tend to get through the questions at a steady pace.

When you read the questions, put down an asterisk next to all the key points, e.g. the range of values with angles, so that when you begin to attempt the question, you know what range you are working towards, etc.

Apart from that, it's not just about doing past papers, it's about remembering the harder questions and going over them again and trying to understand which parts of the questions are hard. That way, when it comes to the exam, you will be prepared for the worst questions (most of the time anyway ).
Reply 3075
Original post by MathsNerd1
Better start my LONG day of revision now, otherwise I can only see myself failing in my approaching exams. That's right, I'm turning off TSR so I don't lose focus and get distracted :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha good luck, yeah today I'm doing my 'do a question' then look at tsr, fb' etc! Good luck :')

I still make stupidly silly mistakes :colondollar: I really need to train my self to stop
Original post by James A
My advice would be to take your time and not rush the question. Obviously time management is crucial, but generally I tend to get through the questions at a steady pace.

When you read the questions, put down an asterisk next to all the key points, e.g. the range of values with angles, so that when you begin to attempt the question, you know what range you are working towards, etc.

Apart from that, it's not just about doing past papers, it's about remembering the harder questions and going over them again and trying to understand which parts of the questions are hard. That way, when it comes to the exam, you will be prepared for the worst questions (most of the time anyway ).

Thank you for the advice! :smile:
I do try to manage my time in every maths exam but I can't finish the whole paper in time. I don't rush it either seriously but the amount of mistakes i make is unbelievable e.g. if it says -4 i write down 4 idk why that happens :frown:
I hope your exams have gone well :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tigerz
Haha good luck, yeah today I'm doing my 'do a question' then look at tsr, fb' etc! Good luck :')

I still make stupidly silly mistakes :colondollar: I really need to train my self to stop

Thanks and I would normally do the same, but with the amount of exams I'll be having once we go back from half term, they're pretty close to each other and I can't leave it to the last minute. Maybe if I wanted to get into my insurance then I'd be fine but not for getting into my firm unfortunately :-/

And we're all only human so we all make mistakes sometime or another so it's fine, I wouldn't worry about it too much just make sure it doesn't affect your grades too much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3078
Original post by MathsNerd1
Thanks and I would normally do the same, but with the amount of exams I'll be having once we go back from half term, they're pretty close to each other and I can't leave it to the last minute. Maybe if I wanted to get into my insurance then I'd be fine but not for getting into my firm unfortunately :-/

And we're all only human so we all make mistakes sometime or another so it's fine, I wouldn't worry about it too much just make sure it doesn't affect your grades too much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh yeah defo get some work done! I only have 2 left so i'm alright! Haha my bro works in an insurance firm
Yup, just gonna try prevent myself, doesn't really effect my grades too much at the moment (apart from in chem) but will stop me from getting an A* next year!
Good luck :smile:
Original post by tigerz
...my bro works in an insurance firm

Haha, brilliant :rofl:

Latest