The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Rather have Rooney over Lewandowski and i wouldnt even need to think about it.
Original post by Tommyjw
Rather have Rooney over Lewandowski and i wouldnt even need to think about it.

this^

Rooney is more versatile and has the premiership experience.
Reply 4522
Original post by retirement
When have utd ever done a swap deal I can never ever remember one. I hate it when fans even mmention the idea as we never ddo it

Before the 2012/13 season, someone could have said when was the last time we bought an outfield player over the age of 27? And then van Persie came along aged 29.
Just because we've never done it before doesn't rule out the possibility of it happening in the future.
Reply 4523
Original post by SciFiRory
this^

Rooney is more versatile and has the premiership experience.

I think Lewandowski still has more potential and is definitely yet to reach his peak whereas it seems Rooney's already got there and he's not happy here anyway.
Also, does it matter that much that Rooney has Premiership experience? Lewandowski has Bundesliga experience which isn't THAT much different from here. Unless, for example, he was from somewhere like the Brazilian league (which is just a joke) then I see your point. But if you've played only in the Bundesliga and you come over and play here then I don't see why there would be a problem.
Original post by qasidb
I think Lewandowski still has more potential and is definitely yet to reach his peak whereas it seems Rooney's already got there and he's not happy here anyway.
Also, does it matter that much that Rooney has Premiership experience? Lewandowski has Bundesliga experience which isn't THAT much different from here. Unless, for example, he was from somewhere like the Brazilian league (which is just a joke) then I see your point. But if you've played only in the Bundesliga and you come over and play here then I don't see why there would be a problem.

Premiership experience is pretty important when you have as much as Rooney does...Rooney is still very good he had a bad second half to the season in part due to mainly playing out of position, even then he still showed glimpses of what he can do (that assist for RvP's goal against Villa comes to mind), there's no reason for us to want to sell Rooney, the question is whether he wants to stay which we won't know till Moyes takes charge full time I expect. at his best Rooney is arguably a better goal scorer than Lewandowski as well, plus we don't need a poacher as we have Van Persie and Hernandez for that, Lewandowski would be a waste of money if we don't sell Rooney (which I hope we don't)

Van Persie, Rooney, Hernandez, Wellbeck - players who can play up front for us as it stands, I would argue that up front is not a problem position for us at all, we could do with midfielders with Scholes gone and Fletcher out long term, maybe wingers as well if Nani leaves (we have Zaha coming in here as well)

if we don't sell then the only position I would say we "need" is a CM.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4525
How the eff is rooney better than lewandowski
Original post by retirement
Carrick creates why modric when kagawa is similar?

We need a hard man next to carrick

Modric can take hold of a game, control its pace and continuously spread play to our wings. Basically what Paul Scholes has been doing for the best part of his career.

There's no hard man in the market that would drastically improve our team really. I know everyone is extremely against players (young ones especially) playing out of position, I am too, but when you're Phil Jones and Rio, Vidic and Evans are all ahead of you in the pecking order for CB, I'm sure you'd rather play as a DM for the big games than not play at all. Jones was excellent against Real Madrid, who's to say that a Strootman/Fellaini would actually be better than him in that position for the big games?

Also, Rooney over Lewandowski in a heartbeat. Only advantage I could see from that is the cut in wages. Oh and their age of course.
(edited 10 years ago)
Some random rumours.

Sun says we are fighting to keep Januzaj away from going to Barca, who 'missed out on him' when he joined for us.

Darren Can reckons Rene may leave for a 'clean break' despite Moyes wanting to keep him badly, for the clubs purposes and for transitional purposes.

Everything pointing towards Chris Woods joining as goalkeeping coach.

@manutdrefcafe is the 'in the know' flavour of the month apparently. Someone who apparently works at United and has said a few things, but keeps it fairly vague in order to keep his job.

A list of the less vague things he has said over the past two months or so

1. Rio will sign a new contract
2. There will be an overhaul of some sort
3. This summer for United signings wise will 'be great'
4. Retweeted about Baines moving to OT and us signing at least 1 "big name"
5. Recently said that we want 3 players and there is some uncertainty on just one of them.
6. Said that new contracts are coming really soon.
7. Retweeted + confirmed a few tiny rumours that relate to Ronaldo e.g. saying Gill did fly to spain, etc.

You never know these days!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by yaboy
How the eff is rooney better than lewandowski

Have you watched the two play? Lewandowski leads the line, rooney doesn't anymore, will be a like for like with van persie.

Funnily enough, why does no one talk about stefan kiessling? He's been in great form this season yet gets overlooked by germany and gets overlooked by the general public...
Reply 4529
Original post by jam277
Have you watched the two play? Lewandowski leads the line, rooney doesn't anymore, will be a like for like with van persie.

Funnily enough, why does no one talk about stefan kiessling? He's been in great form this season yet gets overlooked by germany and gets overlooked by the general public...

I still think rooney is better as an out an out striker rather than an attacking mid but judging rooney as a center forward I would take lewandowsi over him. As for Kießling hes basically another soldado.
Original post by yaboy
I still think rooney is better as an out an out striker rather than an attacking mid but judging rooney as a center forward I would take lewandowsi over him. As for Kießling hes basically another soldado.

Yeah, but united haven't been playing 4-4-2 anymore, they've been playing 4-2-3-1 or some variant of that, lewandowski and van persie do the exact same job, what is the point of having them both there when rooney compliments RVP more.

Yeah, I still think both of them should be playing for their country, germany want to be more strikerless so fair enough but you can't say that for spain when torres is being repeatedly included in the line up over him.
So If Rooneys agent and the latest rumours are to be believed, Rooney really did not hand in an official transfer request and it seems like the issue is bad blood between SAF and Rooney rather than Rooney and the club, which tbh wouldnt be the first player that has had a bone to pick with SAF in such a way.
Original post by Tommyjw
So If Rooneys agent and the latest rumours are to be believed, Rooney really did not hand in an official transfer request and it seems like the issue is bad blood between SAF and Rooney rather than Rooney and the club, which tbh wouldnt be the first player that has had a bone to pick with SAF in such a way.

Hmm, well tbh we'll have to see how the situation develops, I'd be pretty pissed off playing out of position for most of the season. I think since christmas there has been bad blood between the two.

SAF seems to be great with some players and not so great with other players wrt man management. People forget his treatment of certain players.
Reply 4533
Original post by jam277
Hmm, well tbh we'll have to see how the situation develops, I'd be pretty pissed off playing out of position for most of the season. I think since christmas there has been bad blood between the two.

SAF seems to be great with some players and not so great with other players wrt man management. People forget his treatment of certain players.

What players are these then? A club the size of Manchester United can't afford to have players who think they're bigger than the club. Or else it'd be a circus like Madrid. It's different for other clubs, but I'd say in terms of man management he's been spot on with every player during his time here.

Keane paved his own way out - mouthed off the team on MUTV, and there was no way he was staying after that. Van Nistelrooy had his own problems - he's in fact apologized for that now. Beckham still adores him.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by VQG
What players are these then? A club the size of Manchester United can't afford to have players who think they're bigger than the club. Or else it'd be a circus like Madrid. It's different for other clubs, but I'd say in terms of man management he's been spot on with every player during his time here.

Keane paved his own way out - mouthed off the team on MUTV, and there was no way he was staying after that. Van Nistelrooy had his own problems - he's in fact apologized for that now. Beckham still adores him.

Coming to think of it that way if madrid had shown more respect to managers what happened this last season would have never happened. I guess he's been good at putting people down to size though tbh and never gets put to ransom by a player, unlike what happens at madrid.

Would have said beckham, the way their relationship did start to falter near the end of his tenure. But overall like you say he's been good as a man manager and I'm not disputing that.
SAF ruled with an iron fist, you don't stay in management for as long as he did any other way. SAF isn't going to be good with players who challenge that, its the smartest move, no players 3-5 years at the top is worth compromising his position for. Rooney has undermined him on multiple occasions, its not surprising the relationship is at breaking point. I personally wouldn't believe his agent, I would think he did hand in the request, and is considering a U-turn now SAF has step down as manager.
It seems SAF's schedule of enjoying games without the suffering began tonight, just saw on SSN that he was at Wembley few rows behind Platini. Woulda been nice if he'd given out the medals or been in the front row but it seems UEFA are going to try and give him some sort of a role.
Why would Sir Alex lie to the media and say that Rooney did hand in a transfer request? Rooney probably did hand in a transfer request but is now probably regretting it either cause a new manager is coming in or cause theres no offer from another club who wants to pay him the wage he is on currently on
Original post by poiuytrewq54321
Why would Sir Alex lie to the media and say that Rooney did hand in a transfer request? Rooney probably did hand in a transfer request but is now probably regretting it either cause a new manager is coming in or cause theres no offer from another club who wants to pay him the wage he is on currently on

He said Rooney had asked for a transfer, that doesn't have to mean a proper, written transfer request, it could just have been a verbal thing.
Reply 4539
I can tell this summers rumour mills are going to be exactly the same day in day out... :lol:

Fellaini to Utd
Fabregas to Utd
Ronaldo to Utd
Baines to Utd
Modrid to Utd
Rooney to Real Madrid
Rooney to PSG

:yawn:

Latest