The Student Room Group

Should The UK Set Up Its Own "Gitmo" For These "British-Born" Terrorists?

Should the UK set up its own special detention center for these "British citizens"? It's not as if we can "ship them back", as some loonies always say. You can't exactly "ship them back" to Britain :lol:

So, should the likes of these Woolwich murderers and Anjem Choudry types be locked up in a Gitmo-analogue? Surely this will deal with those who claim to call themselves "British citizens", yet are actually a threat to The United Kingdom of Great Britain.

I am a second-generation and I am particularly sickened at how many of these "British citizens" are so anti-British and a threat to our national security.

This is shocking - it is truly, "the enemy within".

What do you think?

P.S.

I cannot for the life of me think of why these hateful "British" citizens preach so much anti-British hate, yet live in our society. Surely if they're so anti-British, they should move to their Sharia paradises? Is the UK government even in control? All I hear is "hard talk" from governments, but our government seems so spineless as if they're not even driving the car. It's like we citizens are in the boot, whilst our government is in the passenger seat and someone else, some other entity is in the driving seat. What the bloody hell is going on? Has globalism fully taken all of us over? Is there now no escape?

If you profess to call yourself "British" and were supposedly born here, yet show particular anti-British sentiment and label every other citizen as "them", then what in heck's name are you doing here?? Leave this land - do not be hypocritical! If you hate "the West", then leave the West! Away with you and your "anti" preaching! Most of the anti-British preaching and sentiment isn't even free speech or disagreement with government policy - rather, it is hateful and anti-British. It is an attack on the British way of life and some of these weirdos actually want to see some sort of Sharia society in place - if you wish so, then I implore you to vacate these Islands immediately. The Middle East or parts of Africa can accommodate you with its Sharia paradises!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The thing about hating islamists and the extremists in islamic culture, is that you always run the risk of offending peaceful muslims at the same time.

I think the only people who can stop extremism in Islam are the peaceful, dare i say normal muslims. Non-muslims dont have the knowledge of Islam to (unless they study it extensively) actually sit down and talk to someone with extremist views, those silly girls posting 'I HATE ALL MUSLIMS' on facebook dont have a clue about Islam, and neither do most people (my own knowledge isnt great).

This is why I respect Maajid Nawaz so highly, we need more people like him, if we want to solve the problem of people being radicalised.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22307804

This video was made last month, he explains exactly the the basis of what happened in Woolwich, even before it happened.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
No.
Reply 3
No.
Reply 4
What island would we use? Jersey?
Yes we should. I think south Georgia would be the perfect place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Apocrypha
The thing about hating islamists and the extremists in islamic culture, is that you always run the risk of offending peaceful muslims at the same time.

I think the only people who can stop extremism in Islam are the peaceful, dare i say normal muslims. Non-muslims dont have the knowledge of Islam to (unless they study it extensively) actually sit down and talk to someone with extremist views, those silly girls posting 'I HATE ALL MUSLIMS' on facebook dont have a clue about Islam, and neither do most people (my own knowledge isnt great).

This is why I respect Maajid Nawaz so highly, we need more people like him, if we want to solve the problem of people being radicalised.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22307804

This video was made last month, he explains exactly the the basis of what happened in Woolwich, even before it happened.

There needs to be an organised effort from the Muslim community to reach out to those at risk of becoming exremist. Nawaz is right that Al-Qaeda provide a brand, but these Islamists tend to start out as solitary and extremely confused Muslims. Once they are 'reached out' to by the radical preachers - who will probably be the first source of comfort they may have experienced in their lives - it's quite easy to see why they become radicalised themselves.

These people are unlikely to have ever read the Qur'an. They will be taught a few verses to justify their actions internally, but they will only know a twisted and warped view, believing that the rest of the Muslims are in the wrong. Education is crucial and the moderate Muslim community needs to make a real stand. I don't know how they're going to do it, but it needs to be done. I mean, really, who the hell is going to believe Nick Clegg reading a peaceful Qur'an verse?
Reply 7
Xotol, you forget the fact that Anjem Chaudary is being allowed to roam freely by the Government, not British Muslims. 90% of muslims haven't even heard of the nutter. And yes, Muslims are actually doing a lot of things in this fight against extremism of all kinds -- but just because the media forces Anjem and his cohorts on the news to comment, instead of the true voices of the muslim community, doesn't mean Muslims are complacent or anything. Going back to Anjem, the Government needs to really do something -- it's time to wake up and smell the coffee, the fact that people like Anjem are going to other countries and spreading their hate mongering ranting there too.
**** no. Gitmo shouldn't exist in the first place. Obama said in his first election he would close it down and he still hasn't. It's a hotbed of torture and injustice where people have been and are held for months, years in fact without being given a fair trial or even a trial at all. It is a place where due process does not exist. It's a hot bed of human rights abuse where the Americans think they can ship off their problems and leave them to rot and not have to worry about them regardless of whether they are innocent or not.
Meanwhile average Americans are told and taught to assume that anyone who is there or has been held there are terrorists or are guilty of something relating to terrorism when in fact more than one case has occurred where people have been held for months, years in fact without so much as a trial until they were finally released on lack of evidence. During their time they were subjected to pretty gruesome interrogations.
So no, we should never set one up ourselves. Never.
Gitmo was a pretty special case. It was created specially as it was US territory but not subject to US laws, a geographical legal loophole, I don't know whether the UK has anywhere like that. Its also become a nightmare for the US, they have plenty of people who are too dangerous to ever let go, but they either don't have enough to charge them or charge them with anything serious. Its become a nightmare for Obama, if he doesn't close it people criticise him, if someone he releases blow themselves up on a NY subway he'll be hung out to dry. The days of camp X-ray are over anyway its just another maximum security prison these days. Quite frankly if you are taking that route of dealing with people, watching them move about in Somalia or such until you get enough evidence to drone strike them would be a far cleaner option. Gitmo was a previous era of shadow activity, and not possible without the post 9/11 fear in which it was created.

As has been said, them emphasis on home grown terrorists needs to be within the "Muslim community", within families and at religious groups. If events like this become common, they will need to do more to work with security services or become guilty by association. Quite frankly, I'd like to see mandatory cameras in Mosques and such and more liberal application of incitement laws to preachers. Providing a platform and them allowing preachers to put ideas which clearly condone crime need to be addressed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by doggyfizzel

As has been said, them emphasis on home grown terrorists needs to be within the "Muslim community", within families and at religious groups. If events like this become common, they will need to do more to work with security services or become guilty by association. Quite frankly, I'd like to see mandatory cameras in Mosques and such and more liberal application of incitement laws to preachers. Providing a platform and them allowing preachers to put ideas which clearly condone crime need to be addressed.

There is no way this will happen. Just imagine the outrage it will cause.
Reply 11
Original post by Apocrypha

Offence doesn't cause death. What causes death is zealots practicing "eye for an eye" in the name of their religion and in defence of their "homeland" they've probably never visited.
Nope.

We have this thing called justice and 'the law'. If the legal system is broke, we need to fix it, not ignore the wider problems.
Reply 13
We tried shipping criminals off to a far flung island before.

Then they started beating us at rugby and cricket. We're not about to make the same mistake twice.
Original post by Drewski
We tried shipping criminals off to a far flung island before.

Then they started beating us at rugby and cricket. We're not about to make the same mistake twice.

:lol:

Damn them!
Original post by The Gentle Giant
Nope.

We have this thing called justice and 'the law'. If the legal system is broke, we need to fix it, not ignore the wider problems.

I agree, but it is in times of desperation and overwhelming emotion that the most shocking and extreme laws and opinions take hold (or rather, reveal themselves). Facebook and Twitter are teeming with so much racism and whatnot, even from people you wouldn't have expected it from....
Original post by HumanSupremacist
I agree, but it is in times of desperation and overwhelming emotion that the most shocking and extreme laws and opinions take hold (or rather, reveal themselves). Facebook and Twitter are teeming with so much racism and whatnot, even from people you wouldn't have expected it from....

I'd rather we didn't have somewhere we could ship people off to and hold them without trial to be routinely interrogated and mistreated for lengthy periods of time. Don't you think it might make our country look bad just a teeny tiny bit?
Original post by thunder_chunky
I'd rather we didn't have somewhere we could ship people off to and hold them without trial to be routinely interrogated and mistreated for lengthy periods of time. Don't you think it might make our country look bad just a teeny tiny bit?

I agree - but as I said, sometimes knee-jerk reactions come at such desperate times.

Clearly, we have domestics who view themselves as separate from British society - this is worrying, alarming and scary. Something needs to be done. And it is no good for Muslim organisations coming out after the incident and condemning and apologizing. They need to prevent such - otherwise, I seriously fear that anti-Muslim sentiment will increase by a thousand-fold...possibly even as high as anti-semitism was at some point in history...
Reply 18
No things like that just play into the hands of Islamists and help to justify their actions.
Original post by Xotol
There is no way this will happen. Just imagine the outrage it will cause.
There is no way it doesn't already happen. Plain naive to think the intelligence services don't record the goings on inside Mosques of interest. I'm more talking about recordings of speeches, so that it could be reviewed if accusations against preachers were made. I'm not really sure why that would cause outrage. Outrage at what? The recording of a near public speech, many of which are probably recorded anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending