The Student Room Group

Higher Geography

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lovecupcakes
I don't mind whatever's easier for you and your so lucky you've got brilliant notes! On the other hand our teacher doesn't really care about us

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've scanned in the benefits and problems - best way to remember them is FRAPSWIM and WWWEGS. For each bene/prob explain what it is, who benefits/is affected and give an example.
For the political problems question my teacher currently has my notes on that one so if you need help on that i'm only going to get it back on Tuesday.
Original post by katys1996
I've scanned in the benefits and problems - best way to remember them is FRAPSWIM and WWWEGS. For each bene/prob explain what it is, who benefits/is affected and give an example.
For the political problems question my teacher currently has my notes on that one so if you need help on that i'm only going to get it back on Tuesday.

Thanks and that's a really good method of remembering ill try it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 122
Tbh, my geography teacher is woeful. To him, if you don't understand something it's because you're an idiot not worth teaching any longer. He's given us around 50 different sheets for every sub-topic but only about a quarter of these are even nearly useful, so I'm having to spend a lot time wading through this useless information.

Hope everyone is feeling confident though (:

Also hoping to god there's not much Urban in there and lots of Coast
Reply 123
Hey guys, was wondering if someone could help me. I was copying down model answers for questions and noticed that on the SQA website the last bullet point for a formation question always says Award up to 1 mark for a named example.
I've seen this on formation of a corrie, stack and scree slope. Does anyone know of any acceptable examples for these features? Thanks
Original post by humza100
Hey guys, was wondering if someone could help me. I was copying down model answers for questions and noticed that on the SQA website the last bullet point for a formation question always says Award up to 1 mark for a named example.
I've seen this on formation of a corrie, stack and scree slope. Does anyone know of any acceptable examples for these features? Thanks

In my notes for named examples I have:
Glaciated features: Corrie- Red Tarn, Helvellyn. U shaped Valley- High Cup Gill, the Pennines. Crag and Tail- Edinburgh Castle and the Royal Mile.

Coasts: Headlands and Bays- Swanage bay and the Headland, Dorset. Caves, Arches, Stacks, Stumps- Old Harry for a Stack, Old Harry's Wife for a Stump and Durdle Door for an Arch. Spit- Spurn Head, Holderness and Orford Ness, Suffolk. Sand Bars- Slapton Sands, Devon.

Limestone: Limestone Pavement- Malham Cove. Swallowhole- Gaping Gill. Caves- White Scar Caves. Gorge- Stean Gorge. Dry Valley- Watlowes Dry Valley. Stalactites and Stalagmites- Dream Caves, Castleton and Ingleborough Cave. Scars- Twistleton Scar, Yorkshire Dales.

Those were the ones my teacher gave us.

If anyone is wanting notes on lithosphere I can scan them in tomorrow, they have diagrams and named examples and stuff.
Reply 125
Original post by alfalimaindia
In my notes for named examples I have:
Glaciated features: Corrie- Red Tarn, Helvellyn. U shaped Valley- High Cup Gill, the Pennines. Crag and Tail- Edinburgh Castle and the Royal Mile.

Coasts: Headlands and Bays- Swanage bay and the Headland, Dorset. Caves, Arches, Stacks, Stumps- Old Harry for a Stack, Old Harry's Wife for a Stump and Durdle Door for an Arch. Spit- Spurn Head, Holderness and Orford Ness, Suffolk. Sand Bars- Slapton Sands, Devon.

Limestone: Limestone Pavement- Malham Cove. Swallowhole- Gaping Gill. Caves- White Scar Caves. Gorge- Stean Gorge. Dry Valley- Watlowes Dry Valley. Stalactites and Stalagmites- Dream Caves, Castleton and Ingleborough Cave. Scars- Twistleton Scar, Yorkshire Dales.

Those were the ones my teacher gave us.

If anyone is wanting notes on lithosphere I can scan them in tomorrow, they have diagrams and named examples and stuff.

Thanks, we werent given an examples :frown:
If you want, i wouldnt mind some notes on Coasts, ie just formation of spit/bar

I second into on Coasts - I know glaciation and limestone quite well, completely forgot about coasts :s-smilie:
I don't mind atmosphere as long as its a global warming question lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 128
Anyone got any overall predictions? :smile:
Reply 129

You need to be careful with the examples for corries, limestone pavements etc especially if u are doing rural land resources because u need a case study and if u dont state ur case study u lose 4marks straight up and if ure examples are not related to ur case study u dont get marks for them. Markers actually sit and make sure your examples are right by checking online if it's a place they dont know about to make sure what you are saying is true.
These are my notes for Coasts. Excuse the giant pictures.

Spoiler

Hey,

Has anyone made any more predictions on what's to come up ?? :s-smilie:
Reply 132
anyone know how scree slopes are formed?

and a full mark corrie/u shaped valley questions? always just get like 6-7 marks out of 10.

e.g

U-shaped Valley :

A U-shaped Valley is formed by the water within a V-shaped valley freezing during an ice age. As the glacier moves down the valley due to gravity, the bottom of the glacier begins to pluck debris from the bottom, deepening the valley. The rocks which are lodged in the glacier now begin to wear down the bottom through abrasion. The sides are wore down through abrasion also.

What else can I add to that ??
Reply 133
Can anyone scan their limestone formations? I have only just realised my teacher didn't actually give any to us.... Everyone in my class is freaking out.
Original post by exams2013

and a full mark corrie/u shaped valley questions? always just get like 6-7 marks out of 10.

e.g

U-shaped Valley :

A U-shaped Valley is formed by the water within a V-shaped valley freezing during an ice age. As the glacier moves down the valley due to gravity, the bottom of the glacier begins to pluck debris from the bottom, deepening the valley. The rocks which are lodged in the glacier now begin to wear down the bottom through abrasion. The sides are wore down through abrasion also.

For a U shaped valley:

Also briefly explain what plucking and abrasion are.
Picture of my notes under the spoiler. Excuse the bad quality.

Are you wanting notes for a corrie as well?

Spoiler

Original post by exams2013

e.g

U-shaped Valley :

Scree Slope :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by regalrose
Can anyone scan their limestone formations? I have only just realised my teacher didn't actually give any to us.... Everyone in my class is freaking out.

Limestone:
If you describe like freeze thaw action too.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 137
Original post by alfalimaindia
Limestone:
If you describe like freeze thaw action too.

Spoiler

WOW thank you so much! It wont let me thumb you up because I literally just done it to your other post but if it lets me I will totally do it! Thank you so much!
since they havent asked in it a while what does everyone think the likelihood of them asking to describe and explain the general distribution of rivers for RBM?
Reply 139
I have 4 days to learn soil profiles from scratch hA HA this shall be fun..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending