The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amber206
Also, with antibodies, do we need to know agglutination, lysis, antitoxins and opsonisation?

You need to know what agglutination is, you don't really need to know lysis/antitoxins/opsonisation - a question which focussed on those would probably give you some text with information in as it isn't specification derived.
Original post by HarryMWilliams
You need to know what agglutination is, you don't really need to know lysis/antitoxins/opsonisation - a question which focussed on those would probably give you some text with information in as it isn't specification derived.

Yeah only agglutination and neutralisation as a means of fighting infection :smile: I'm excited for this exam:biggrin:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 182

What's opsonisation?
Reply 183
Guys I need mnemonic to remember the way organisms(living) are classified - taxonomy.
Original post by rival_
What's opsonisation?

Not a clue - hence, I don't think you need to know it. :tongue:

**Disclaimer, done the exam already!**

Original post by rival_
Guys I need mnemonic to remember the way organisms(living) are classified - taxonomy.

You mean: DKPCOFGS?
Reply 185
Not a clue - hence, I don't think you need to know it. :tongue:

**Disclaimer, done the exam already!**

You mean: DKPCOFGS?

That would be the acronym ;-) but yeah there's a popular one like King Phylum Ordered something something... I can't remember it lol

And are you resitting?
Reply 186
Original post by rival_
That would be the acronym ;-) but yeah there's a popular one like King Phylum Ordered something something... I can't remember it lol

And are you resitting?

Remember domain.. then King Prawn Curry Or Fat Greasy Sausages!!!!!!!! Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone want to revise chapter 1 and immunity
Reply 188
Original post by wndms
Remember domain.. then King Prawn Curry Or Fat Greasy Sausages!!!!!!!! Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awks; I'm a veggie hahahahahahahah

Which revision guide do you think is better the OCR revise one or the CGP, I have a week to learn practically everything, any tips?
How are people revising for this, using the spec or the text book?
What is the Rio Convention on Biological Diversity ?
Hi guys as silly as this is i haven't started revision for f212 (been ill and other exams ) and I'm being overwhelmed by the content as I presently try and make a timetable for it ? Anytips on how to cram or any predictions on what will come up ? Please and thankyou xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
Guys whats the difference between coenzymes and cofactors?
Reply 194
hey, can someone explain the difference between 'high specific heat capacity' and 'high latent heat of evaporation' please? :smile:
Original post by Giggles96
hey, can someone explain the difference between 'high specific heat capacity' and 'high latent heat of evaporation' please? :smile:

Specific heat capacity is the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature by 1 degree. So Water has a high specific heat capacity, meaning it needs a lot of energy to change it's temperature. Therefore the temperature remains mostly stable, ensuring optimum conditions for enzyme and other metabolic activities.

Latent heat of vaporization is to do with the evaporation of water, you can remember it more easily by thinking of it as Latent heat of 'evaporation'. Water uses up a lot of energy, or absorbs, a lot of energy when it is evaporated. Therefore humans sweat a lot, due to it being an efficient cooling mechanism. Evaporation takes up a lot of energy, so it removes a lot of heat from the surface.

Both of these characteristics of Water molecules rise primarily from Hydrogen bonding. Hydrogen bonding is 'weak', but there are lots of hydrogen bonds, which is crucial.

Hope this helped :smile:
Original post by nevarsan
Guys whats the difference between coenzymes and cofactors?

Coenzymes are usually organic molecules, which take part in the enzyme catalysed reaction. They do change during the reaction, but unlike the substrates, they are actually recycled so they can take part in the same reaction again. Their main role is to carry chemical groups between different enzymes, although this is not really part of the spec :smile:

Cofactors on the other hand are usually INorganic ions. Their mere presence helps speed up an enzyme controlled reaction, because they allow enzyme-substrate complexes to form more easily. A good example to remember is Amylase enzymes requiring Chloride ions.
Original post by HeyMickey6
What is the Rio Convention on Biological Diversity ?

- Sharing genetic resources.
- Promoting ex-situ conservation.
- Sharing scientific knowledge and technologies.
- More cooperation between countries and states.
omg im so nervous for this exam! only starting revision for this now and I got chem to do as well this week! :frown: Oh my.
Original post by Ambitions
omg im so nervous for this exam! only starting revision for this now and I got chem to do as well this week! :frown: Oh my.

Same! F322 ? How are u planning on doing it ? I really needs B's 😫

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending