The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by reubenkinara
I'm probably not the guy to ask this time :frown: Didn't even the get the first one. I understood how from the hint, but not how he got from the series to the hint.

You've done 1-r on the denominator, when 10^1/4=1.77... which is different from the common ratio

LATEX STOP BEING A ****ING ASS

10^1/4 / 10^1/2 = r
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3241
I'm probably not the guy to ask this time :frown: Didn't even the get the first one. I understood how from the hint, but not how he got from the series to the hint.

Awwh, hmm I was thinking... The whole thing keeps getting square rooted right? can we do a series just for the powers? as they double? so the ratio is 2.. and after we find the sum to infinity to that can we use that ans on 10...
This is probably rubbish
Original post by MathsNerd1
If this is from C2 then I've clearly forgotten the content.

Oh. Not from C2, just when I was doing some extra maths with some mates awhile ago. I came across the first example and understood the concept. Now. I'm just painfully lost.

Original post by tigerz
Do we get the ratio by doing 10141012 \frac{10^\frac{1}{4}}{10^\frac{1}{2}}?

Try setting it equal to x and dividing both sides by 10\sqrt{10}

Original post by Lord of the Flies
Pf, at least make the result pretty Felix:

1ϕ2+1ϕ4+1ϕ8+\sqrt{\dfrac{1}{\phi^2}+ \sqrt{\dfrac{1}{\phi^4}+ \sqrt{\dfrac{1}{\phi^8}+\cdots}}}

... or something :tongue:

Spoiler

Original post by Felix Felicis

Spoiler

Can you answer it?
Original post by Robbie242
You've done 1-r on the denominator, when 10^1/4=1.77... which is different from the common ratio

LATEX STOP BEING A ****ING ASS

10^1/4 / 10^1/2 = r

kk
Original post by MAyman12
Can you answer it?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Still stuck sorry. I'll just get someone to explain it to me?
Thanks for the hints:smile:

Spoiler

Set what equal to x, then I'm good to go tbh

The series.
This: 10+102+104+...\sqrt{10 + \sqrt{10^{2} + \sqrt{10^{4} + ... }}}

10+102+104+...\sqrt{10 + \sqrt{10^{2} + \sqrt{10^{4} + ... }}}
Reply 3250

Spoiler

-.- Your questions are the most difficult 'easy' questions :zomg:
Original post by tigerz
-.- Your questions are the most difficult 'easy' questions :zomg:

Damn straight!
Reply 3252
Damn straight!

Totally neglecting my chemistry revision >.< someone was clearly upset with me thinking about giving up the earlier question lols
They literally require you think with pure logic
Original post by tigerz
Totally neglecting my chemistry revision >.< someone was clearly upset with me thinking about giving up the earlier question lols
They literally require you think with pure logic

I'm exactly the same and yeah, someone didn't like the fact I pointed you out to the hint :tongue: They do and that is why I get annoyed that I can't see the answer straight away :mad:
10+102+104+...\sqrt{10 + \sqrt{10^{2} + \sqrt{10^{4} + ... }}}

Spoiler

hmm I like but I'm not sure about the powers, in my second line I swear the squared powers won't matter as the series will just constantly be 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,,1,1,1,1,,1,1,1,1,,1,1,1,1
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3255
I'm exactly the same and yeah, someone didn't like the fact I pointed you out to the hint :tongue: They do and that is why I get annoyed that I can't see the answer straight away :mad:

Haha, :O oh yeah! All you were doing was helping me out, infact was the only reason I could solve the first one!
I find myself over complicating the questions and doing all sorts! Yeah I get annoyed at myself for not seeing what to do :facepalm:

Spoiler

hmm I like but I'm not sure about the powers, in my second line I swear the squared powers won't matter as the series will just constantly be 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,,1,1,1,1,,1,1,1,1,,1,1,1,1

You're almost there, but:

1+1+1+...1\sqrt{1 + \sqrt{1 + \sqrt{1 + ...}}} \neq 1 :tongue: If you haven't seen the result before, you may need to evaluate this separately as well
Reply 3257

Spoiler

I swear it simplifies as you go along?

Felix your maths questions are just one of a kind lols
(edited 10 years ago)
You're almost there, but:

1+1+1+...1\sqrt{1 + \sqrt{1 + \sqrt{1 + ...}}} \neq 1 :tongue: If you haven't seen the result before, you may need to evaluate this separately as well

Hmm pondering on how to get the result root 10 other than that assumption/test, how would I necessarily be able to evaluate that, if its 1-r on the denominator for sinfinity for x/root 10 then that would equal 0 and thats bad. Hmm I'm not entirely sure, any hints felix?

And also its the sum to infinity to this suggests 1+1+1+1.... with roots blahblah which certainly can't equal 1 (trying to make sense of this using c2 knowledge derp)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tigerz
Haha, :O oh yeah! All you were doing was helping me out, infact was the only reason I could solve the first one!
I find myself over complicating the questions and doing all sorts! Yeah I get annoyed at myself for not seeing what to do :facepalm:

Indeed as I could only imagine how much the question was annoying you and yeah, I tend to do that all the time but now I'm purposely trying to make an easier question harder for some sheer fun :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending