The Student Room Group

Edexcel Applied ICT Unit 3 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theo3335796
So what is the correct formula using a regular if statement?

Check that on the climb calculation sheet that the cat2 but is = 2.
But check this because in the exam it might change
Original post by MPharm 123
Check that on the climb calculation sheet that the cat2 but is = 2.
But check this because in the exam it might change

So is it just this?

=IF('Climb Calculation'!J53=2,"Yes","No")

Where J53 is where it tells you the number of category 2 climbs
Original post by Jayqwe
Anyone know what data to use when creating a graph?

A comparison of the six stages, measuring distance (length) in kilometres would be the ideal solution. It should be used to support your report, but do not forget to detail its relevance in continuous prose, or through the use of a caption.

James
Hey guys, now that exam is over. How did everyone find it??
In my opinion not so bad.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 124
People can take this exam up to the 3rd of June so the thread shouldn't be back open.

But regardless, I forgot commas on vlookups at the end but my teacher said I won't have lost that many marks :smile:
Reply 125
I couldn't get my vlookup to work for some reason, but i printed off some formulas of the vlookups to show that i had the right formula lool but i lost 26 marks on that section alone. I think everything else was well fone though, compared to January.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 126
What, my teacher says you'll get a mark for using vlookup! The results you print off isn't worth that much!

The course is meant to prepare for a real life situation, and someone would point out a comma...
Reply 127
Where were we supposed to use VLOOKUP!?
Reply 128
What formula did you use, for the winners page?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 129
Vlookup selected the first column for the number 1, selected the range and them type the column of the range to display
Reply 130
I used =INDEX WITH MATCH, to work out the results, is this correct?
Reply 131
I suppose if yout get the right answer in the end, it should be fine and there is always more than 1 solution

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have found a few misleading things in the scenario prior to the exam and saw that many people did not realise this, here they are...

To find the number of visits, you have to use "=SUM(U6:26)" and NOT "=SUM(U6:27)".
Because the 27th row contains the last checkpoint used, take a look in the spreadsheet if you don't fully understand. So you don't include the 27th row when finding the total number of visits.
I thought this was very misleading because the exam question mentioned the 27th row.

Also for the "2 Cat 1 or Cat 2 Climbs?", (I think) you have to have the values in the row "Climb > Cat 2" equal to 2. Because "Climb > Cat 2" includes category 1 climbs.

Original post by RESS1804
I used =INDEX WITH MATCH, to work out the results, is this correct?

I also used INDEX MATCH instead of VLOOKUP for most of activity 3, then I realised that VLOOKUP could also be used so I used VLOOKUP for the rest of the questions in activity 3.
Original post by Taz1838
People can take this exam up to the 3rd of June so the thread shouldn't be back open.
The exam window is from Monday 20 May to Friday 24 May - that's the period through which we restrict discussion :smile:

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Documents/5882-June-2013-GCE-imetable-FINAL-3-new.pdf
Reply 134
Original post by AlanDu
I have found a few misleading things in the scenario prior to the exam and saw that many people did not realise this, here they are...

To find the number of visits, you have to use "=SUM(U6:26)" and NOT "=SUM(U6:27)".
Because the 27th row contains the last checkpoint used, take a look in the spreadsheet if you don't fully understand. So you don't include the 27th row when finding the total number of visits.
I thought this was very misleading because the exam question mentioned the 27th row.

Also for the "2 Cat 1 or Cat 2 Climbs?", (I think) you have to have the values in the row "Climb > Cat 2" equal to 2. Because "Climb > Cat 2" includes category 1 climbs.

I also used INDEX MATCH instead of VLOOKUP for most of activity 3, then I realised that VLOOKUP could also be used so I used VLOOKUP for the rest of the questions in activity 3.

Hmm, you might be right but, when you do count if its only looking for a 0 in the box above therefore it doesn't matter if you select the last column.

Anyone else notice the exam board don't know what to name rows and columns?
Original post by Taz1838
Hmm, you might be right but, when you do count if its only looking for a 0 in the box above therefore it doesn't matter if you select the last column.

Anyone else notice the exam board don't know what to name rows and columns?

If you are talking about the stuff in the Stage Builder worksheet...

It doesn't matter if you have selected the last row (27) or not, because row 27 indicates the last checkpoint visited, and so it will be penalised unless the examiner has chosen to give a mark for an incorrect formula (which they won't unless they are very generous). It's only 1 mark though if I have recalled it correctly, so it shouldn't matter too much.

It asks to enter a formula to count the number of visits of each town, and by including row 27, it makes it inaccurate as it adds an additional visit to each town that have ended each stage as a consequence, making the formulas inaccurate.

Row 27 isn't even part of the checkpoints and should not be included.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AlanDu
If you are talking about the stuff in the Stage Builder worksheet...

It doesn't matter if you have selected the last row (27) or not, because row 27 indicates the last checkpoint visited, and so it will be penalised unless the examiner has chosen to give a mark for an incorrect formula (which they won't unless they are very generous). It's only 1 mark though if I have recalled it correctly, so it shouldn't matter too much.

It asks to enter a formula to count the number of visits of each town, and by including row 27, it makes it inaccurate as it adds an additional visit to each town that have ended each stage as a consequence, making the formulas inaccurate.

Row 27 isn't even part of the checkpoints and should not be included.

Row 27 is the End point so you do revisit it!, By your logic you shouldn't count row 6 because that has 'Start' not 'Checkpoint'. If anyone is going to lose a mark its you!
Original post by MannyDhinsa
Row 27 is the End point so you do revisit it!, By your logic you shouldn't count row 6 because that has 'Start' not 'Checkpoint'. If anyone is going to lose a mark its you!

Start is a valid visit but row 27 isn't. The start counts as a checkpoint used in the stage.

But you can't include row 27. Since if you include row 27, you would be counting the end point twice (more than needed)!
You need the start point, if you miss out the start point and include row 27 instead, that is only valid assuming the start point is the same as the end point, which makes the formula invalid if a user is in the middle of creating stages.

The image below shows three Du Forts, but in reality, stage 1 visits Du Fort only twice. If you count from row 6 to 27, you count it three times, but if you do row 6 to 26, you count it the right number of times.
234daee3648343d0b14b35b.png
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 138
Original post by AlanDu
No you don't, you can't include row 27. Since if you include row 27, you are counting the end point twice!
You need the start point, if you miss out the start point and include row 27 instead, that is only valid assuming the start point is the same as the end point, which makes the formula invalid if a user is in the middle of creating stages.

The countif is looking for a 0. If all are numbers then why would it matter if you include the last column. You seem to be procrastinating way too much, and I highly doubt the examiner will care
Original post by AlanDu
It would matter for the question that asked to enter a formula to count the number of visits per town (SUM formula). Sorry for sharing a few facts if it had annoyed you, despite having similar posts per date as you.

but as-long as you use the write formula which is a SUM: then why would you lose a mark? it would be a bit tight marking someone down a mark because the range is slightly wrong but you had the right intention.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending