The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by constantmeowage
Denn ich denke, dass man auf JEMANDEN ankommt und es hängt von ETWAS ab :L

Es war irgendetwas im Internet aber ich kann es nicht mehr finden. Jedoch habe ich das bei Google gesucht, und es hat mir geschienen, dass es richtig war...

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2293137
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2252679

Du bist kein Zauberer! :tongue: keine Geheimnisse haben wir in dieser Gesellschaft! :tongue:

Doch weißt du noch gar nichts über meine kompletten Fähigkeiten :wink:
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Ich lese ,,DinoPark", das ich sehr interessant finde. It's a relative clause- "I am reading a book WHICH I find very interesting". You use der/die/das or welcher/welche/welches (in appropriate case, gender and number) for "which".

Dankje! Ik dacht al dat het 'das' zou zijn!
Danke! Ich dachte schon, dass das 'das' sein wuerde!

See what I did there... :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by The Polyglot

Danke, ganz interessant. :tongue: was denkst du an 'fähig zu'?

Was für ein Geheimnis! :eek:
Danke, ganz interessant. :tongue: was denkst du an 'fähig zu'?
Was für ein Geheimnis! :eek:

After a quick look on dict.cc it seems to do exactly what it says on the tin, i.e. to be capable of doing something, or competent/able/apt as it says.
After a quick look on dict.cc it seems to do exactly what it says on the tin, i.e. to be capable of doing something, or competent/able/apt as it says.

God I put the English preposition as 'in' :eek: my English is a sinking ship... :confused:
'compPletely',
hasse ich mein kleines Handy...
(edited 10 years ago)
God I put the English preposition as 'in' :eek: my English is a sinking ship... :confused:

What do you mean? Did you look for "good in something"? :tongue:

Also, I've noticed that when you said:
was denkst du an 'fähig zu'?

You probably should have used "von" here, or maybe something else, but not "an" (I think).
As far as I know, you use "an" to mean a more 'reference-like' "of", like "I can't think of a good example". A good example is sich erinnern an: "ich erinnere mich an" literally means "I remind myself of" :smile:
What do you mean? Did you look for "good in something"? :tongue:

Also, I've noticed that when you said:

You probably should have used "von" here, or maybe something else, but not "an" (I think).
As far as I know, you use "an" to mean a more 'reference-like' "of", like "I can't think of a good example". A good example is sich erinnern an: "ich erinnere mich an" literally means "I remind myself of" :smile:

No, I looked for capable in. -.- Which is inexcusable. :tongue:

I'm thinking that I'm just failing at communicating in general now. :tongue:
No, I looked for capable in. -.- Which is inexcusable. :tongue:

I'm thinking that I'm just failing at communicating in general now. :tongue:

Not at all, I'm just getting lucky with spotting some mistakes :colone:
Your German is actually very good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not at all, I'm just getting lucky with spotting some mistakes :colone:
Your German is actually very good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll believe you when I go to Germany and actually get more than one word out. :tongue:
Reply 1470

über, surely?
Original post by Ronove
über, surely?

I always thought it was 'denken an', I didn't know there were other ways of expressing thinking of...
I'll believe you when I go to Germany and actually get more than one word out. :tongue:

Oh I'm sure you will manage that!

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1473
I always thought it was 'denken an', I didn't know there were other ways of expressing thinking of...

That means 'to think of something' as in, 'wenn ich einsam bin, denke ich an meine Mutter'. You can't ask 'was denkst du an ____?'.
Original post by Ronove
über, surely?

Both seem fine to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Yep there are! There are normally a few different ways you can use a word depending on the preposition you use with it, just like in English, so you develop a sixth sense for which one feels right in each circumstance :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ronove
That means 'to think of something' as in, 'wenn ich einsam bin, denke ich an meine Mutter'. You can't ask 'was denkst du an ____?'.

Ahhh! I see! :smile: Like the difference between 'penser à' and 'penser de' in French :smile: I see, danke.

Dict.cc says that for 'what do you think about it?' type things, it prefers 'was sagst du dazu?', though.
Reply 1477

Both seem fine to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Something for everyone here: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1235497
I still do not think von is acceptable, at all. I've been toying with it in my head, trying to see how it feels after forcing my Danish to shut up, and no, still isn't working for me. Sounds very wrong.
Yep there are! There are normally a few different ways you can use a word depending on the preposition you use with it, just like in English, so you develop a sixth sense for which one feels right in each circumstance :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My tribulations with German prepositions have left me pretty numb to be honest. :tongue:
Reply 1479
Ahhh! I see! :smile: Like the difference between 'penser à' and 'penser de' in French :smile: I see, danke.

Dict.cc says that for 'what do you think about it?' type things, it prefers 'was sagst du dazu?', though.

Are you sure it didn't say 'was hältst du davon/von ___'? If not, I'd still say the person who wrote it made that error.

Latest

Trending

Trending