The Student Room Group

ocr a f325 revision thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
Original post by Sakib
How would you answer this question: This question looks at two acids: methanoic acid, HCOOH, a weak organic acid; nitric acid, HNO3, a strong acid which can also act as powerful oxidising agent. d) Nitric acid, HNO3, is sold by a chemical supplier as a 65% solution, by mass. As supplied, each cubic decimetre of this nitric acid has a mass of 1400 g. Calculate the pH of this solution.

Usually I would use the concentration of HNO3 to workout the answer, ie, pH= -log(H+), but we are not provided with the concentration or anyway to work it out.

You can work out the moles of the HNO3 cant you?
Reply 1041
Original post by zef1995
I'm sorry for the delay in response!

I think I've got it, so I'll try and explain what I've done, and if there's anything you're unsure of/disagree with, then feel free to say so :smile:

Okay...so you have 25 cm3 ammonium vanadate with concentration 0.100 mol dm-3. From this, we can calculate the moles of ammonium vanadate:

0.100 x 25/1000 = 2.5 x 10-3 moles VO3-

We also know that 30 cm3 of 0.0500 mol dm-3 MnO4- is required to oxidise V2+ back to VO3- in the titration.

Calculating the moles of MnO4- used: 0.500 x 30/1000 = 1.5 x 10-3 moles MnO4-

We can now calculate a ratio of MnO4- : VO3-

1.5 x 10-3 : 2.5 x 10-3

1:5/3 = 3:5 ratio.

Looking at the half equation for MnO40-, we now know 3 MnO4- react for every 3 VO3-.

3MnO4- + 24H+ + 15e- -> 3Mn2+ + 12H2O

There's a transfer of 15e-, so 15e- will be produced by 5 moles V2+ (3:5 ratio again).

15/5 = 3

So there's a transfer of 3 electrons - MnO4- gains them in this reaction, so V2+ loses them. As it loses 3 e-, it is oxidised for V2+ to VO3- (+5 oxidation state).

I hope I've explained it clearly, and if you have any questions please feel free to ask, it's not a problem :smile:

That is a brilliant answer :biggrin:

I couldn't do the very last question where you have to write out the full redox equation. How did u get on with that? It would be great to get a good answer from you :wink:
Original post by Gulzar
That is a brilliant answer :biggrin:

I couldn't do the very last question where you have to write out the full redox equation. How did u get on with that? It would be great to get a good answer from you :wink:

Thank you very much, I tried to explain it as clearly as I could - I'm glad it makes sense!

Was this the January 2013 paper? I didn't get it right when I did the mock, but I understand why I didn't now and I can do it if you'd like me to explain it :smile:
Reply 1043
Just got 93/100 in the Jan'11 paper, happy. Just gonna double check to make sure I wasn't too easy on the marking :frown:
Reply 1044
Yep, just remarked, lost 3 marks. Still, it's ~ full UMS :smile:
Reply 1045
Original post by zef1995
Thank you very much, I tried to explain it as clearly as I could - I'm glad it makes sense!

Was this the January 2013 paper? I didn't get it right when I did the mock, but I understand why I didn't now and I can do it if you'd like me to explain it :smile:

You've already explained it very well :smile:
It's just that very last bit of that exact question on the jan 2013. It would be great if you could explain that bit when you have the time :wink:
Original post by Gulzar
It's just that very last bit of that exact question on the jan 2013. It would be great if you could explain that bit when you have the time :wink:

Aw thank you, I'm glad I did!
Okay no problem at all! If you don't mind, I don't think I'll be able to do it tonight (it's likely I'll get it wrong/miss something out because my brain is going to sleep!) :P
However, I will be more than happy to go through it tomorrow, if that's not a problem :biggrin:
Reply 1047
Original post by otrivine
Perfect=100% :biggrin:

On a different note OCR Chemistry is surprisingly very challenging. I got 86% on Jan 2011 but I think that may have been an easy paper.

I just did June 2011 in exactly 2 hours and it had a bunch of BrainTeasers. ARGH. God knows how people finished it in 1hr45 mins before.

I will be posting up a few questions about my confusion PLEASE can one of you Chemistry Gods help me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Funtry
Just got 93/100 in the Jan'11 paper, happy. Just gonna double check to make sure I wasn't too easy on the marking :frown:

Wow, nice one! That's amazing, even if you lost 3 marks, that's still 90 out of 100 D:
Congratulations again, I hope the real thing goes just as well for you :smile:
Original post by zef1995
Wow, nice one! That's amazing, even if you lost 3 marks, that's still 90 out of 100 D:
Congratulations again, I hope the real thing goes just as well for you :smile:

Hi :smile: hows revision going
Hi :smile: hows revision going

Hi, it's going well thank you! Managed to get a bit more revision in today :smile:
How about you?
Original post by zef1995
Hi, it's going well thank you! Managed to get a bit more revision in today :smile:
How about you?

No worries, its going okay only want to do legacy papers now ! :smile:

Today had 6 hours of revision at college , 3 hours of chem and covered equilibrium kinetics so much:redface:
Reply 1052
Original post by Funtry

I only got 86/100 did it like 2 days ago now but marked it harshly. I'm personally setting myself 94 Marks + for 100 UMS for all papers I do, just in case

Have you done June 2011 yet? I'm going to mark it now, but it was very very tough compared to Jan 2011.

Can anyone care to Explain? REP if you can

JANUARY 2011: Question 3E - The Examiners reports said virtually no one could do this question. Only 2 Marks the question with R-S-S-R
Reply 1053
Original post by Better
I only got 86/100 did it like 2 days ago now but marked it harshly. I'm personally setting myself 94 Marks + for 100 UMS for all papers I do, just in case

Have you done June 2011 yet? I'm going to mark it now, but it was very very tough compared to Jan 2011.

Can anyone care to Explain? REP if you can

JANUARY 2011: Question 3E - The Examiners reports said virtually no one could do this question. Only 2 Marks the question with R-S-S-R

Only done Jan11 :smile:

I got the second half, not the first half though.
Original post by Funtry
Yep, just remarked, lost 3 marks. Still, it's ~ full UMS :smile:

Please can I have some tips on the sources that you use for revision apart from a text book and past papers.
Reply 1055
Original post by überambitious_ox
Please can I have some tips on the sources that you use for revision apart from a text book and past papers.

I use Chemguide, Knockhardy and These questions primarily, as well as my own notes.
No worries, its going okay only want to do legacy papers now ! :smile:

Today had 6 hours of revision at college , 3 hours of chem and covered equilibrium kinetics so much:redface:

That sounds good, there are plenty of legacy papers around :biggrin:

Wow, lots of revision, at least it was productive :smile:
Original post by Gulzar

Do you happen to have the answer for the last part of the last question on January 13 (the equation)?
I just wanted to check whether I was right before I start explaining the wrong equation to you!
I wrote the answer down when my teacher explained it in class, but of course...I've lost the bit of paper with it on. Organisation at its best! :unimpressed:
Original post by zef1995
That sounds good, there are plenty of legacy papers around :biggrin:

Wow, lots of revision, at least it was productive :smile:

Exactly!

you know the legacy papers right , are they the ones on the OCR website?
Reply 1059
Original post by zef1995
Do you happen to have the answer for the last part of the last question on January 13 (the equation)?
I just wanted to check whether I was right before I start explaining the wrong equation to you!
I wrote the answer down when my teacher explained it in class, but of course...I've lost the bit of paper with it on. Organisation at its best! :unimpressed:

Sure :smile:
I've got it down as 5V2+ + 3MnO4- + 3H2O ------> 5VO3- + 3Mn2+ + 6H+

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending