The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DJMayes
STEP, although the prerequisite knowledge is FP3.

I see. Thanks for the reply :biggrin: I always feel honored :angelblush::angelblush: as your undoubtedly constantly busy!
Original post by justinawe
Yes :colone:

I keep forgetting to try it :tongue:. Something maths related: what's the easiest STEP Q ever? :cool:
Original post by reubenkinara
I keep forgetting to try it :tongue:. Something maths related: what's the easiest STEP Q ever? :cool:

Assuming you have the prerequisite knowledge, Q10 of 1994 STEP II can be done in a line.
Original post by DJMayes
Assuming you have the prerequisite knowledge, Q10 of 1994 STEP II can be done in a line.

Thanks DJ!
Original post by MAyman12
Hint

Spoiler

I was focusing far too much on your hint to have any sense like Justin and take a step (:colone:) back but hey ho :redface:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Felix Felicis
I was focusing far too much on your hint to have any sense like Justin and take a step (:colone:) back but hey ho :redface:

Spoiler

:clap2: :bumps:

Oh god thats one hell of an answer:eek: Is it weird that I actually understood what you wrote?:tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
:clap2: :bumps:

Oh god thats one hell of an answer:eek: Is it weird that I actually understood what you wrote?:tongue:

If the hint you gave me is part of Ramanujan's original proof then I applaud him :redface: There's no way in hell I would've gotten that otherwise. :redface:
If the hint you gave me is part of Ramanujan's original proof then I applaud him :redface: There's no way in hell I would've gotten that otherwise. :redface:

Yes, it was part of Ramanujan's original proof. :tongue:
Yes, it was part of Ramanujan's original proof. :tongue:

Are you okay with this now, or do you want an explanation for my solution?

I did have another part explaining the iteration fully when I wrote it down, but I didn't want to bother typing it out :tongue:

Spoiler

Considering the fact that you're the one sitting for STEP this time around, you'd better learn to take a step (:wink:) back :colone:
Considering the fact that you're the one sitting for STEP this time around, you'd better learn to take a step (:wink:) back :colone:

Thinking questions through is overrated. :tongue:

Spoiler

Of course - you weren't supposed to do it though, it is too easy for you. :wink:

Here is an alternate way of tackling the 1+21+3\sqrt{1+2\sqrt{1+3\sqrt{\cdots}}} someone posted:

f(x)=1+x1+(1+x)f2(x)=1+xf(x+1)    ()f(x)=\sqrt{1+x\sqrt{1+(1+x)\sqrt{\cdots}}}\Rightarrow f^2(x)=1+xf(x+1)\;\;(\star )

Clearly f(x)xxx=x12(x+1)f(x)\geq \sqrt{x\sqrt{x\sqrt{x\sqrt{ \cdots}}}}=x\geq\frac{1}{2}(x+1)

and
Unparseable latex formula:

\begin{aligned} f(x)\leq\sqrt{(x+1)\sqrt{2(x+1) \sqrt{3(x+1) \sqrt{ \cdots}}}}=(x+1) \sqrt{1 \sqrt{2 \sqrt{3 \cdots}}} \leq (x+1) \sqrt{1 \sqrt{2 \sqrt{4 \cdots}}}=2(x+1)

By the preceding inequalities and using ()(\star ) we get:

212(x+1)<f(x)<212(x+1)2^{-\frac{1}{2}}(x+1)<f(x)<2^{ \frac{1}{2}}(x+1), which inductively yields 212n(x+1)<f(x)<212n(x+1)2^{-\frac{1}{2^n}}(x+1)<f(x)<2^{ \frac{1}{2^n}}(x+1)

Letting nn\to \infty gives f(x)=x+1f(2)=3f(x)=x+1\Rightarrow f(2)=3
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Of course - you weren't supposed to do it though, it is too easy for you. :wink:

Here is an alternate way of tackling the 1+21+3\sqrt{1+2\sqrt{1+3\sqrt{\cdots}}} someone posted:

f(x)=1+x1+(1+x)f2(x)=1+xf(x+1)    ()f(x)=\sqrt{1+x\sqrt{1+(1+x)\sqrt{\cdots}}}\Rightarrow f^2(x)=1+xf(x+1)\;\;(\star )

Clearly f(x)xxx=x12(x+1)f(x)\geq \sqrt{x\sqrt{x\sqrt{x\sqrt{ \cdots}}}}=x\geq\frac{1}{2}(x+1)

and

\begin{aligned} f(x)\leq\sqrt{(x+1)\sqrt{2(x+1) \sqrt{3(x+1) \sqrt{ \cdots}}}}=(x+1) \sqrt{1 \sqrt{2 \sqrt{3 \cdots}}} \leq (x+1) \sqrt{1 \sqrt{2 \sqrt{4 \cdots}}}=2(x+1)

212(x+1)<f(x)<212(x+1)2^{-\frac{1}{2}}(x+1)<f(x)<2^{ \frac{1}{2}}(x+1), which inductively yields 212n(x+1)<f(x)<212n(x+1)2^{-\frac{1}{2^n}}(x+1)<f(x)<2^{ \frac{1}{2^n}}(x+1)

:eek: I shall save this for the future :biggrin:

Spoiler

:zomg: STEP :cry2:
Are you okay with this now, or do you want an explanation for my solution?

I did have another part explaining the iteration fully when I wrote it down, but I didn't want to bother typing it out :tongue:

Sorry for replying very late but I actually understand it now. It just took me a while.:tongue: Thank you.
Funny how maths students procrastinate by doing more maths...

:lol:
Reply 3377
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
Funny how maths students procrastinate by doing more maths...

:lol:

OMG THAT IS SO ME!!! I had to study my American APs and I'm taking A level math next year! I studied math to make self feel less guilty procrastinating! OMG I don't feel alone in the world anymore haha

and

You're probably going to have enough time for an hours nap at the end of the STEP exam...

Spoiler

Damn, you never cease to amaze me :L PRSOM :adore:

Latest

Trending

Trending