The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

hey guys :smile:

does anyone have the jan 13 geog 3 aqa paper?

thanks and any help with be appreciated. :P
Original post by JenniS
I need an A* and an A in my other 5 exams. Life is so fun right now....

where are you applying? I'm sure you can do it!
Original post by flower124
Anybody any ideas what questions might come up for weather and climate, tectonics or world cities?

I'm thinking associated landforms question with tectonics!
I only need a C to get an A overall, so I dunno why i'm stressing so much, just worried that even a C might be a challenge here- three huge topics to study!
Hi, is anyone doing the Conflict section in this exam and if so do you have any predictions for the 40 marker?
Reply 605
Original post by danielrhysowen
Hi, is anyone doing the Conflict section in this exam and if so do you have any predictions for the 40 marker?

Maybe some nonsense on separatism but hoping for a local/international conflict really.
Yeah, a broad one on local/international would be nice. With regard to case studies, have you done more than one for each conflict? So far I've done:

local conflict: Newbury Bypass
international conflict(s): Afghanistan and Israel/Palestine
multicultural UK: Bradford (highly unlikely to be used seeing as it came up in January)
separatism: Basque country and small examples about Chechnya, Scotland, Wales and Catalonia
poverty and development: Afghanistan, MDGs
Reply 607
Recent evidence for global warming, what have you guys got? I've got stuff about arctic sea ice thinning, glacial retreet, sea level rise, instrumental readings and record summer temperatures (last one seems a bit dodgy to me :wink: ) anything else?
Original post by A Wise Ninja
I only need a C to get an A overall, so I dunno why i'm stressing so much, just worried that even a C might be a challenge here- three huge topics to study!

you must have got 100% last year :O
Reply 609
I only need an E for an A overall :O ! Still a tad worried though and I think I'm gonna try to get the A*. How are people finding the trade vs aid and environmental sustainability bit in globalisation?
Reply 610
I'm feeling like scrapping revising the nonsense topic that is poverty
Reply 611
Original post by Daniel George
Jenny, in tectonics how do you revise case studies - I'm having trouble trying to remember all the facts? arghhh! I need help from a full mark student :wink:

Will full marks on all other papers be enough for you :P I've written flash cards with vital info on and then just read news articles ect to get a broader grasp of them.
Reply 612
wow, ecosystems does my head in. what a bitch...

it's the whole human activity, sustainability and biodiversity stuff - it's basically (some) a reiteration of the tropical biome...

what case studies is everyone using for fragile environments? I'm using CACC and deep water horizon (which is terribly covered in the cruddy textbook that treats you like a GCSE student)

yeah, you can see my frustration*

For fragile environments I've been struggling, probably gonna focus on tectonics for my essay question. I'm doing Batwa pygmies and Sepilok orangutan reserve for fragile environments although Santa lucia and hushe valley from the tourism section also overlap a bit here. I've also read through the textbook a couple of times so am vaguely familiar with the ones you mentioned.
Reply 613
Stupid geography exam. WHY R THERE SO MANY CASE STUDÎIIIIIIIÏES
Original post by Axion
Stupid geography exam. WHY R THERE SO MANY CASE STUDÎIIIIIIIÏES

It really is just an exercise in revision. I'm going to forget all of this information after my exam and will subsequently have learnt nothing. It's such a frustrating waste of time.
Original post by kabutsu12
I only need an E for an A overall :O ! Still a tad worried though and I think I'm gonna try to get the A*. How are people finding the trade vs aid and environmental sustainability bit in globalisation?

Trade vs Aid I'm ok with, wouldn't mind it coming up as a 10 marker.
Sustainability - I have two case studies for where economic and environmental has been achieved, but I'm not sure what else there is to know apart from that.
Reply 616
Could you enlighten us on what case studies your using? Our teacher missed out the whole of trade vs aid so I'm not sure what to focus on

Posted from TSR Mobile
you must have got 100% last year :O

100% in Geog4B :wink:
Reply 618
Original post by A Wise Ninja
100% in Geog4B :wink:

Could I ask how you prepared for 4B? Did you just do a lot of background research and guessed what type of questions came up?

Cause Im doing it this year and all I've been doing is background reading and research and not sure if that's helping :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gary
Could I ask how you prepared for 4B? Did you just do a lot of background research and guessed what type of questions came up?

Cause Im doing it this year and all I've been doing is background reading and research and not sure if that's helping :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Crammed it in about 3 or 4 days, i'd say my revision was about:

10% AQA case study paper
30% Zigzag materials
60% Internet research

I think the bottom one is very important here, the examiner will be impressed with the more you know about the topic. I included as many facts as I could about the case study, in some cases where it probably wasn't even relevant. My point is, you have more time than you need in this exam (compared with the others which are rushed as hell) so make your answers more developed than you necessarily would on the other paper, with key facts and figures where possible to bung them in!

I didn't actually try to guess the questions, but if it is anything like last years then they are left pretty open for discussion, which allows everything i've mentioned about to flourish! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending