The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by otrivine
Hello how are you :smile:

can you please check this solomon paper , I am not sure if there is a mistake or not but

http://www.school-portal.co.uk/Group...urceId=3992058

http://www.school-portal.co.uk/Group...urceId=3992046

question 4)a)

In the mark scheme , they got that for the integration and I got

1/3 In(x-6) - 1/3 In(x-3) = 2t + c

they put In(x-6) - In(x-3) = 6t +c

where does the 6 come from

thanks

From what you've written, they've multiplied both sides by 3. And 2×3=62\times 3 =6 :biggrin:
Original post by reubenkinara
From what you've written, they've multiplied both sides by 3. And 2×3=62\times 3 =6 :biggrin:

ohh hahaha I see! thanks
Original post by masryboy94
the link is not opening :confused:

Its fine I understand now, thank you :smile:
Reply 1463
Original post by thelion0
I've nearly finished C4 soloman, will then do normal papers, then elmwood , then delphis and finally zig-zag.

All questions in the C4 book are done including all the review exercises. I recommend others do the same.

Same position as me bro! Only 3 more C3/C4 Solomon Press to do!!

No way am I doing Elmwood, Zig-Zag etc. Once I've done Jan 2007 - Jan 2013, I'm just going to Re-do the initial Solomon which I didn't do too well in.

How would you integrate 6)a) ?

I thought you had to use sin2x=2cosxsinx but they got everything in cos

Which Solomon paper is it?
I'd click your link, but it appears to be broken. If you give me the letter, I'll check it out from my own papers!

But if you were doing sin2x\displaystyle{\int sin2x} you'd get cos2x2\dfrac{-cos2x}{2}
I'd click your link, but it appears to be broken. If you give me the letter, I'll check it out from my own papers!

Thanks its solomon paper A
Reply 1468
Are Solomon papers actually helpful guys? I did one for C3/4 and got roughly the same as I would on normal papers. The questions don't really seem that much more challenging..
I have the old C3 book, could anyone send me screenshots of the review exercises from the new C3 book and answers too please.

Thanks, much appreciated!
But if you were doing sin2x\displaystyle{\int sin2x} you'd get cos2x2\dfrac{-cos2x}{2}

x

I'm not sure what they've done but perhaps they've used the compound angle formula for Sin(3x): i.e, the booklets: Sin(A+B) to expand Sin(2x+x) and then as you said, said Sin(2x)=2sinxcosx.
(edited 10 years ago)

I did not get your quote , it came out as blank
Hmm, I'd use parts.
I'm not sure what they've done but perhaps they've used the compound angle formula for Sin(3x) and used the booklets: Sin(A+B) to expand Sin(2x+x) and then as you said, said Sin(2x)=2sinxcosx.

oh should I use by parts will it come out neatly you reckon :tongue:
oh should I use by parts will it come out neatly you reckon :tongue:

No. Thinking about it, you'd get a never ending integral. See edited post :biggrin:
Original post by KD35
Are Solomon papers actually helpful guys? I did one for C3/4 and got roughly the same as I would on normal papers. The questions don't really seem that much more challenging..

I think they are. But it's probably up to you. Students who do either solomons or normals or both get As so :dontknow:
No. Thinking about it, you'd get a never ending integral. See edited post :biggrin:

Thank you :smile: let me try it now, by the way this is a silly question but sin2x + sinx would give 2sin2x right

and sin2x x sinx will give sin^2 2x

sorry
Thank you :smile: let me try it now, by the way this is a silly question but sin(2θ)+sin(θ)sin(2\theta) + sin(\theta) would give 2sin(2θ)2sin(2\theta) right

and sin(2θ)×sin(θ)sin(2\theta) \times sin(\theta) will give sin2(2θ)sin^2(2\theta)

sorry

Nope as sin(2θ)sin(θ)sin(2\theta)\not=sin(\theta)
Unless θ\theta was something like 0.
Reply 1477
Original post by KD35
Are Solomon papers actually helpful guys? The questions don't really seem that much more challenging..

Lol. :dots:

Two possible options, you either

1. Haven't sat any Solomon Papers under timed conditions
2. If you are finding all 22 Solomon C3/C4 Papers easy you should be sitting AEA or STEP I / STEP II.

They are significantly harder.

Example:
You won't be asked to Factorise a Polynomial of Order 3 in a normal C3/C4 Paper, nor will you be asked to do things such as provide a Counter-Example to disprove a Statement. Nor Comment on the Accuracy of a Model that you generate via differentiation, with respect to Population growth and raw values.

These are typical things in the Solomon Questions.
(edited 10 years ago)
Nope as sin(2θ)sin(θ)sin(2\theta)\not=sin(\theta)
Unless θ\theta was something like 0.

Okay :smile: thanks for the clarification
Reply 1479
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me. On the C3 Jan 12 paper Q)5) I get the first value but how do you get 2nd and 3rd values for trig questions? I see sometimes they do 180 - original or 360 + original is their a reason for this?
This goes for trig questions in general how do you get the "other" answers?

Any help is appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending