The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Story
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me. On the C3 Jan 12 paper Q)5) I get the first value but how do you get 2nd and 3rd values for trig questions? I see sometimes they do 180 - original or 360 + original is their a reason for this?
This goes for trig questions in general how do you get the "other" answers?

Any help is appreciated!

You can use something called the CAST diagram or consider the shape/periodicity of the trig curves. Sorry for asking, but is this not something you did for C2?
Reply 1481
Original post by Story
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me. On the C3 Jan 12 paper Q)5) I get the first value but how do you get 2nd and 3rd values for trig questions? I see sometimes they do 180 - original or 360 + original is their a reason for this?
This goes for trig questions in general how do you get the "other" answers?

Any help is appreciated!

If you do the inverse of sin(1/3) then sketch the sine curve from 0 to 540 and draw a dotted line y=1/3 on the curve then you'll get your other values.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1482
Original post by reubenkinara
You can use something called the CAST diagram or consider the shape/periodicity of the trig curves. Sorry for asking, but is this not something you did for C2?

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I do remember it but I think I used to just draw the diagram out and do it that way not sure though. What do you mean by considering the shape?
Original post by Story
Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I do remember it but I think I used to just draw the diagram out and do it that way not sure though. What do you mean by considering the shape?

What I meant can be explained better here and here.
Reply 1484
Original post by Better
Lol. :dots:

Two possible options, you either

1. Haven't sat any Solomon Papers under timed conditions
2. If you are finding all 22 Solomon C3/C4 Papers easy you should be sitting AEA or STEP I / STEP II.

They are significantly harder.

Example:
You won't be asked to Factorise a Polynomial of Order 3 in a normal C3/C4 Paper, nor will you be asked to do things such as provide a Counter-Example to disprove a Statement. Nor Comment on the Accuracy of a Model that you generate via differentiation, with respect to Population growth and raw values.

These are typical things in the Solomon Questions.

I didn't time it properly but both were well under 1hour30. I've done all the C3/4 actual papers from 2005 and really, the questions aren't that different. Btw I haven't seen any of the things you have mentioned in your examples, I have only done 1 of each. Do the papers get harder as you move from A-L?
Reply 1485
Original post by KD35
I didn't time it properly but both were well under 1hour30. I've done all the C3/4 actual papers from 2005 and really, the questions aren't that different. Btw I haven't seen any of the things you have mentioned in your examples, I have only done 1 of each. Do the papers get harder as you move from A-L?

The Examples I mentioned are all in the Full-Solomon Press C3/C4 Papers.

I am not sure if they get more difficult as my Scores got better as I progressed.

In general their are some Brain-Teasers in each of them.

I still need to ask for help but my Maths Teachers aren't as good as some of the Teachers and Students here.

But anyway I'll come back here the Maths Forum later on. Time for 2 Physics Past Papers then 3 Maths papers.

Catch you later.
Reply 1486
Original post by nm786
If you do the inverse of sin(1/3) then sketch the sine curve from 0 to 540 and draw a dotted line y=1/3 on the curve then you'll see why.

Thank you. I just did it and got 6.5, 53.5, 126.5, 173.5.

Just to clarify you draw the graph up to 540 as 3theta = sin ^-1 (1/3), and the highest limit is 180, so 180 times 3 = 540.

Also the limits given are theta must be less than or equal to 180 and greater than or equal to 0, right?

For a second I thought it would be less than or equal to 0 which confused me, would they ever ask something like that?
Reply 1487
Original post by Story
Thank you. I just did it and got 6.5, 53.5, 126.5, 173.5.

Just to clarify you draw the graph up to 540 as 3theta = sin ^-1 (1/3), and the highest limit is 180, so 180 times 3 = 540.

Also the limits given are theta must be less than or equal to 180 and greater than or equal to 0, right?

For a second I thought it would be less than or equal to 0 which confused me, would they ever ask something like that?

1) change the interval if it says 0 to 180 and you need to work out sin3θ=....sin3\theta=.... you change both 0 and 180 to 0 and 540. If it was sin(3x30)=...sin(3x-30)=... for example then you would change the interval from 0 to 180 to -30 to 510
2) then you do a quick sketch of the sin curve and work out the inverse sin of the y-value ( in this case 1/3) and then do a dotted line y=1/3 to find all values of 3θ3 \theta in the interval 0 to 540.
3) To get values for θ\theta simply divide all values you found by 3. But only state the values in the interval 0 to 180 as your final answer.

I hope this made sense.
(edited 10 years ago)
Can someone help me on Exercise 2E in the Edexcel C3 textbook (Functions chapter uhhh I hate it)
It's question 6.
Determine t^-1(x) if the function t(x) is defined by t(x) = x^2-6x+5 {XER, x=>5)
Reply 1489
Original post by nm786
1) change the interval if it says 0 to 180 and you need to work out sin3θ=....sin3\theta=.... you change both 0 and 180 to 0 and 540. If it was sin(3x30)=...sin(3x-30)=... for example then you would change the interval from 0 to 180 to -30 to 510
2) then you do a quick sketch of the sin curve and work out the inverse sin of the y-value ( in this case 1/3) and then do a dotted line y=1/3 to find all values of 3θ3 \theta in the interval 0 to 540.
3) To get values for θ\theta simply divide all values you found by 3. But only state the values in the interval 0 to 180 as your final answer.

I hope this made sense.

Thank you. I appreciate the help. Was I correct about the limits part?
Reply 1490
Original post by Story
Thank you. I appreciate the help. Was I correct about the limits part?

no problem.

no see my post above.

yes your final values for theta must be given in the interval 0 and 180 in this case.

sorry i'm not sure what you mean by this, this clip may clear any doubts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er3fSLIVpOM
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by niki135
Hey guys!

I don't really know why I'm posting this but I've been crying for the last half an hour because I'm scared I won't get an A in maths...

I retook C1 this May and definately got 90+ then spent the WHOLE of last week revising C2 but I didn't go to plan (I needed 90+ in that) so I'm stuck with my 82 I got initially, which is so annoying as i basically wasted a whole week for nothing :frown: My D1 exam I did went AWFUL!! I'm praying I just scraped a C. And for S1 last year I got 74..

So basically I NEED C3 and C4 to go exceptinally well, meaning I HAVE to get 85+ in each. (But I dunno how high my C1 grade will be so I need to get 85 and 88 minimum in C3 and C4)

I know some of you here got those grades but are pushing for 90+, so how did you revsie? Thing is I won't have time to do all the Solomon papers!!! That's just not possible - I'll barely have time to do all the past papers. But I will definately go through papers from 2005-2013....

Will that be enough do you think??? That's a lot of papers, and I have looked at some 'hard' C3/C4 questions as I did some questions from Solomon papers..
Please say it will be fine - I'm gonna work as hard as I can I'm just so scared I'll miss the A :frown:

Sorry for the ramble.. I really wanted to let it all out..
Really reaally need the A for Uni, I just can't miss it - I have to get in!!
Any reply will be appreciated

Awwww i feel for u so bad i messed up the easiest module s1 and m1 and missed q11 in core 1 as i didnt see it so to b safe i need 100 in core 3 and core 4 trust me maths is all about hardwork im going to sacrifice sleep to get these grades so il sleep 4-5hrs and do 10hrs + of core 3 n 4 a day so hopefully i can do aall the solomons and past papers repeatedly until i start to be able to do them in my sleep its about how bad you want it luckily maths is a subject where you reap what you sow believe in yourself and you can do it any problems you face the guys on here can help u:smile: good luck!!
hey guys!

just done this question http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/Edexcel/Core-Maths/Core-Maths-C3/2012-June/paper.php#Q7

got it right, but was wondering what you don't square root it to get in terms of tan seeing x= 3tan2y and not tan^2 as they have left it as.

IGNORE THIS I see how I got it right now :P since its 6sec^22y if anyone is wondering haha
(edited 10 years ago)
anyone got the jan paper 2013 for c3 ? :smile:
Original post by Westeros
Can someone help me on Exercise 2E in the Edexcel C3 textbook (Functions chapter uhhh I hate it)
It's question 6.
Determine t^-1(x) if the function t(x) is defined by t(x) = x^2-6x+5 {XER, x=>5)

t^-1(x) is the inverse function of t(x).

Write t(x) as:

y=x26x+5y = x^2 - 6x + 5

Rearrange to get in terms of x (hint: complete the square) to get t^-1(y). Then just replace the y's with x's. :smile:
Reply 1495
Original post by MedMed12

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=filetype%3Apdf+6665+01+january+2013+edexcel :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MedMed12

Enjoy :smile:

real funny...! -_- but thanks!
Original post by S1L3NTPR3Y
Enjoy :smile:

thank you :h:
(edited 10 years ago)
C4

Has Newtons law of cooling ever come up? in relation to forming differential equations
Original post by Spellstheend
C4

Has Newtons law of cooling ever come up? in relation to forming differential equations

there has been some questions on cooling I think (well thye were on solomon otherwise) they give you whatever you need or you can deduce it from the info they give :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending