The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by danielrhysowen
Hi, is anyone doing the Conflict section in this exam and if so do you have any predictions for the 40 marker?

Poverty or multiculturalism.
Reply 621
Original post by A Wise Ninja
Crammed it in about 3 or 4 days, i'd say my revision was about:

10% AQA case study paper
30% Zigzag materials
60% Internet research

I think the bottom one is very important here, the examiner will be impressed with the more you know about the topic. I included as many facts as I could about the case study, in some cases where it probably wasn't even relevant. My point is, you have more time than you need in this exam (compared with the others which are rushed as hell) so make your answers more developed than you necessarily would on the other paper, with key facts and figures where possible to bung them in!

I didn't actually try to guess the questions, but if it is anything like last years then they are left pretty open for discussion, which allows everything i've mentioned about to flourish! :biggrin:

Thanks!
i was planning to cram this in 2 days before the exam as well cause it does seem fairly straight forward compared to geog3 and plus this years AIB is about natural hazards/earthquakes which i think is pretty good :P

did your teacher supply you with the zigzag material?
Original post by Daniel George
I'm thinking associated landforms question with tectonics!

If that did come up it would be great! Even better if the essay for tectonics was something like that :P Think i'm planning on doing the weather and climate essay Q though
Original post by Gary

did your teacher supply you with the zigzag material?

Yep, make sure you get the teacher's notes too, as they are very useful!
Reply 624
Original post by A Wise Ninja
Yep, make sure you get the teacher's notes too, as they are very useful!

My teacher is pretty much useless and I recon if he was to sit the geog3 exam, he'll probably get a B instead of an A*...lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 625
HIII GUYS!!:bl:
Ive decided not to revise Ecosystems because it is well and truly ...tedious. Doing Tectonics, Cities and D&G. May revise ecosystems enough for a structured set of questions if the tectonics is rubbish, but logic tells me if I were to revise each 3 topics inside out, the structured wont be rubbish, right?
Anyone doing Geography next year for uni?!?!:tongue:
Reply 626
For points on the spec that are : the global distribution of ......

Are you only meant to be able to describe them (i.e. that will be the 7 marker with a map). Surely there won't be a 10 marker on that without any prompts!?
Original post by GeoggerH
HIII GUYS!!:bl:
Ive decided not to revise Ecosystems because it is well and truly ...tedious. Doing Tectonics, Cities and D&G. May revise ecosystems enough for a structured set of questions if the tectonics is rubbish, but logic tells me if I were to revise each 3 topics inside out, the structured wont be rubbish, right?
Anyone doing Geography next year for uni?!?!:tongue:

Hey i'm hoping to study BSc Geography at uni in September :smile: Need ABB overall to go to Exeter's cornwall campus!

I'm doing tectonics, world cities and weather. I've learnt development too but prefer the others. It's good to learn all 4 because then you have more to write about in the longer essay to include the synopticity element.
I'm so confused on the "security without development and development without security" :frown: do you think they could ask this on the short questions?

I'm doing Afghanistan; I'm trying to divide it up:

1)conflict

2) impacts on developments (demographics of afghan)

3) development without security -
economic, political, military, social and agriculture (opium) security needed to increase development...
4) security without development -
roads, hospitals, employment in other industries ie. not drugs.

somebody help me I'm so confused :frown: need to find a simple way of referring to it...
Reply 629
I'm so confused on the "security without development and development without security" :frown: do you think they could ask this on the short questions?

1)conflict

economic, political, military, social and agriculture (opium) security needed to increase development...

somebody help me I'm so confused :frown: need to find a simple way of referring to it...

It came up a couple of years ago so very unlikely gonna come up again. just bundle your international conflict one with the security one to avoid having to learn 2, E.g. im doing israel?palestine for both

what's your international conflict case study?
Original post by Axion
It came up a couple of years ago so very unlikely gonna come up again. just bundle your international conflict one with the security one to avoid having to learn 2, E.g. im doing israel?palestine for both

what's your international conflict case study?

Well international I am doing israel/palestine and the democratic republic of congo...

then I am doing afghan for security and development
Original post by Axion
For points on the spec that are : the global distribution of ......

Are you only meant to be able to describe them (i.e. that will be the 7 marker with a map). Surely there won't be a 10 marker on that without any prompts!?

I was doing this for the global distribution of poverty and was wondering the same thing really :P

well, I don't think (famous last words) they will ask an 8 or 10 marker....but it's worth revising for anyway!

especially for tectonics :P

1)conflict

I did this on my mock. They way I structured it was:
1. Introduction. Define key terms, outline where Afghanistan is with a very brief history of the conflict.
2. Development without security
Essentially just argue this statement, back up points, try and achieve synopticity etc. You can bring in other case studies like piracy in Somalia.
3. Security without development
Same again here. Try and factor in some points about scale in terms of time and distance.
4. Conclusion
Decide which is more important/comes first, or whether they're equal and occur in tandem. Are they the same thing? Can they happen independently?
Got a feeling for world cities 10mkr it will be waste management and sustainable transport.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by St. Brynjar
I did this on my mock. They way I structured it was:
1. Introduction. Define key terms, outline where Afghanistan is with a very brief history of the conflict.
2. Development without security
Essentially just argue this statement, back up points, try and achieve synopticity etc. You can bring in other case studies like piracy in Somalia.
3. Security without development
Same again here. Try and factor in some points about scale in terms of time and distance.
4. Conclusion
Decide which is more important/comes first, or whether they're equal and occur in tandem. Are they the same thing? Can they happen independently?

thanks dude! I might revise this all tonight - I might just crack through the whole conflicts revision this afternoon!

Oh, I got my mock results and I got a B, but like 19 on my tectonic essay! arghhhhh what the? sorry my teacher just emailed me - I'm freaking now...
Reply 635
Original post by Ellie_May :)
Hey i'm hoping to study BSc Geography at uni in September :smile: Need ABB overall to go to Exeter's cornwall campus!

I'm doing tectonics, world cities and weather. I've learnt development too but prefer the others. It's good to learn all 4 because then you have more to write about in the longer essay to include the synopticity element.

WOOO!! Im doing BA Geog, need to get AAB for Kings! Literally cannot wait for September to begin:biggrin:

Ive learnt ecosystems in class and looked over it and had made notes previously, but I really cannot stand doing an essay or even structured on it so Im sticking to the three currently.
Reply 636
thanks dude! I might revise this all tonight - I might just crack through the whole conflicts revision this afternoon!

Oh, I got my mock results and I got a B, but like 19 on my tectonic essay! arghhhhh what the? sorry my teacher just emailed me - I'm freaking now...

Genuinely mate, like I'm doing you're better off learning 25% more content so your Israel/palestine conflict becomes applicable for secutiy/development rather than learning a whole other case study just for security/development. Lets face it, there is no chance both will come up so no danger of overlap!

Work smarter :tongue:
Original post by Axion
Genuinely mate, like I'm doing you're better off learning 25% more content so your Israel/palestine conflict becomes applicable for secutiy/development rather than learning a whole other case study just for security/development. Lets face it, there is no chance both will come up so no danger of overlap!

Work smarter :tongue:

you're right man, it means I have to reorganise my notes...

No worries, the mark scheme says this:

Spoiler

Best of luck in the exam, I've had a few dodgy mocks this year too!
Reply 639
you're right man, it means I have to reorganise my notes...

it's what i've been doing for all my notes :smile: Trying to use the same case studies wherever possible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending