The Student Room Group

MA in Intelligence and International Security

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by trungnguyen
I just got the offer from Durham for MA IR, just after 1 DAY, literally!!! I know I should be extremely happy but is this normal for Durham (I meant I hav not even submitted my academic reference yet)

Someone further up in the thread got an offer for Durham 15 hours after submitting the application.

Seems like the Kings College London wait is approx 3 weeks.
Reply 21
Original post by 01Jessop
I got a conditional offer for King's! Finally haha. I do have a question; does anybody know what happens if you don't meet the requirements? Will they reject you immediately or will they look at the application again? Especially if you are really close to the requirements of the offer?

Congrats! :biggrin: They will assess your transcript and decide whether they'll take you in based on how you did in relevant modules and your dissertation - assuming you'll have only just missed the mark or something. When the time comes, just send them your transcript without mentioning your average (even if it's on the transcript) :wink:
Original post by trungnguyen
I just got the offer from Durham for MA IR, just after 1 DAY, literally!!! I know I should be extremely happy but is this normal for Durham (I meant I hav not even submitted my academic reference yet)

Hahah, yes I guess it is! because i hadn't submitted mine either at the time when they offered.
Reply 23
are there any good websites which compare different postgraduate courses?

its difficult to compare the different intelligence courses and know which is the strongest.
Reply 24
Bumping this because failing SOAS sending me a Ferrari and 2 bikini girls to try and sway my opinion, I should be going to Kings to study I&IS in September lol. I received an unconditional offer last week and will accept and pay the deposit when my sponsor transfers me the money.

Really keen on the prospect of studying for this course and already know which modules I want to take but I'm trying to schedule an appointment to speak with a faculty member so I can see if they have any recommendations as to ways best tailor this degree for my career prospects.
i really want to apply for this course. have any internationals applied? also of you lucky ones that got in would you mind sharing your personal statements to see what the admissions committee is looking for? thanks!
Reply 26
Anybody knows anything about International Security program in Bristol??
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in applying for the KCL course too- I have a 2:1 from Manchester in Politics and Modern History, but it was only a 63%. I've seen that King's tend to ask for 65%- would this mean an automatic rejection? It's a topic I'm incredibly interested in (taken trips to Berlin to learn more about Cold War security issues, I was a researcher at the European Parliament and there I specialized in researching defence), or should I cut my losses and apply somewhere else?
Original post by gingerbread_traveller
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in applying for the KCL course too- I have a 2:1 from Manchester in Politics and Modern History, but it was only a 63%. I've seen that King's tend to ask for 65%- would this mean an automatic rejection? It's a topic I'm incredibly interested in (taken trips to Berlin to learn more about Cold War security issues, I was a researcher at the European Parliament and there I specialized in researching defence), or should I cut my losses and apply somewhere else?

What 'losses' are there to cut? Do you lose anything by applying? Nothing I can think of...
Original post by ageshallnot
What 'losses' are there to cut? Do you lose anything by applying? Nothing I can think of...

Only the time it takes to apply, just looking for some guidance! :smile:
Only the time it takes to apply, just looking for some guidance! :smile:

There you go, get stuck in...!!! :smile:
just got an offer from University of Manchester. I want to apply to UCL but have deadlines for a government scholarship. Does anyone know how long it takes to get a reply from UCL?
Original post by interpol2012
just got an offer from University of Manchester. I want to apply to UCL but have deadlines for a government scholarship. Does anyone know how long it takes to get a reply from UCL?

UCL's School of Public Policy gave me a conditional offer some 3-4 weeks after applying! So I would think you should expect a time scale similar to that, unless of course they are inundated with last minute applications.
and a much asked question

Which department is better and more reputable, UCL's Department of Security and Crime Science or KCL's Department of War Studies?
Original post by interpol2012

How long did it take Manchester to give your your offer?
Original post by perfumeandpolitics
How long did it take Manchester to give your your offer?

3 weeks
Reply 36
Hi everyone,

I've just got an offer for International Conflict Studies at KCL and I also have a 2:1 from Manchester that was below 65%. It seems to have taken them quite a while to decide what to do with my application, but I did do a BA in Modern Languages and only had a few politics modules, which must have made them wonder if I'd be able to cope.

If you're interested enough in a subject and you think it fits in perfectly with the course, I think you definitely stand a chance, especially if you can relate it to your interests and if you've worked towards it during your BA!

interpol2012
and a much asked question

Which department is better and more reputable, UCL's Department of Security and Crime Science or KCL's Department of War Studies?

I think the department at UCL is more focused on national security and things like forensics rather than IR/Security Studies/Diplomacy-type of things as War Studies is. You're looking at two completely different areas, essentially.
Hi!

I received an unconditional offer from KCL, MA Intelligence and International Security (1 yr)

And an offer from the Graduate Institute of Geneva for an MA of International Affairs (2 yr)

Does anyone know how these two compare? And if the second year at Geneva is worth it?
hi guys, whihc master would you suggest between international peace and security and intellgence and international security?
Hi, any experience/opinion about the MA in Security and Intelligence Studies at Buckingham University? If you compare with the MA in Intelligence and Security at Brunel, which one would you prefer? I´d like to get a job as Intelligence Analyst.

Quick Reply

Latest