The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roger1
Plus Serena is a man in comparison to other women. Just take a look at her biceps. They are bigger than mine.:tongue:

Lol - only her serve makes her seem like a man more than anything else because it's so good. Otherwise she's cool

Rog had the chance at 5-0 in the first to dish out a bagel but he probably got too casual with his serve
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Krish4791
Lol - only her serve makes her seem like a man more than anything else because it's so good. Otherwise she's cool

Rog had the chance at 5-0 in the first to dish out a bagel but he probably got too casual with his serve

I guess he didn't want to hand out a bagel, because that would have been mean.
Original post by Rakas21
Why are the grand slams not ATP members?

I don't think I've ever come across a specific reason but I've always assumed that they remain under the ITF because all the Slams, the Hopman Cup, Fed Cup and Davis Cup all pre-date the creation of the ATP and WTA, so they remain ITF events.

It is strange though, especially since it is possible to have different rules at Slams to Masters 1000 events and WTA Premier Tournaments.
Reply 1943

It's not just the serve. Venus Williams has the fastest serve on wta with 128 mp/h and she is all skinny and lanky. Serena just has arms of a man, which is a bit unfair on the other girls tbh. :tongue:
Reply 1944
Original post by Roger1
It's not just the serve. Venus Williams has the fastest serve on wta with 128 mp/h and she is all skinny and lanky. Serena just has arms of a man, which is a bit unfair on the other girls tbh. :tongue:

Surely its "unfair" that Raonic is 6ft5 using the same logic.
Does anyone think Federer can reach the final this year? I mean in the QF he might have to defeat a very patriotic Tsonga and then in the SF Ferrer or Berdych who I think are both capable of upsetting Federer; I just can't see Fed in the final.
Reply 1946
Original post by Craigenhogen
Does anyone think Federer can reach the final this year? I mean in the QF he might have to defeat a very patriotic Tsonga and then in the SF Ferrer or Berdych who I think are both capable of upsetting Federer; I just can't see Fed in the final.

I almost can't not see him in the final. He looked pretty good today, and with neither Rafa or Djok in his half, you'd feel he'll be even more focused than he might otherwise be.

I can never in a million years see Ferrer upsetting Federer unfortunately - I think he's got even less chance of beating Federer than anyone else, but Berdych could be a very big threat if he manages to get through his tricky section.

Tsonga, on a normal day, probs shouldn't upset him either unless he's absolutely on fire. Tbh, I just can't see anyone else on that side in the final.
Reply 1948

So you expect Ferrer who has only ever managed to take 3 sets of Roger in their 14 meetings to beat him in a grand slam. Berdych has a very tough draw and he will likely be dealt by Ferrer in the QFs, if he manages to get that far. Tsonga is the only threat, but he is a hit and a miss, so might now even make it to Roger or might just lose in straights when he plays Roger. If Roger doesn't make the final with his lenient draw, then unfortunately he has got some serious problems.
Original post by Roger1
So you expect Ferrer who has only ever managed to take 3 sets of Roger in their 14 meetings to beat him in a grand slam. Berdych has a very tough draw and he will likely be dealt by Ferrer in the QFs, if he manages to get that far. Tsonga is the only threat, but he is a hit and a miss, so might now even make it to Roger or might just lose in straights when he plays Roger. If Roger doesn't make the final with his lenient draw, then unfortunately he has got some serious problems.

The way Ferrer fights though for every single point and how he may feel this is his last shot at a Grand Slam before he retires (clay being his best surface and how he isn't getting younger) might make him fight even harder than he usually does somehow :tongue:.

Berdych has been on fine form as of lately and if he gets past Ferrer in the QF then why can't he beat Fed at Roland Garros, he's upset Fed at the slams before so I don't see why he couldn't do it again.

For Tsonga it's his home slam; he'll want to win it for France and this year would be perfect to time with the 30th anniversary of Yannick Yoah's last victory at the French Open and he'll be the crowd favourite as well. He's perfectly capable of upsetting Federer just so long as he finds his form.

Fed himself also seems to be struggling as apart from Rome and the Oz Open his 2013 season has been crap and he, like Ferrer, isn't getting any younger.

All that being said I want Wawrinka to win. It would entail upsetting Nadal but if Soderling can do it why not Stan the Man? :tongue:
The way Ferrer fights though for every single point and how he may feel this is his last shot at a Grand Slam before he retires (clay being his best surface and how he isn't getting younger) might make him fight even harder than he usually does somehow :tongue:.

Berdych has been on fine form as of lately and if he gets past Ferrer in the QF then why can't he beat Fed at Roland Garros, he's upset Fed at the slams before so I don't see why he couldn't do it again.

For Tsonga it's his home slam; he'll want to win it for France and this year would be perfect to time with the 30th anniversary of Yannick Yoah's last victory at the French Open and he'll be the crowd favourite as well. He's perfectly capable of upsetting Federer just so long as he finds his form.

Fed himself also seems to be struggling as apart from Rome and the Oz Open his 2013 season has been crap and he, like Ferrer, isn't getting any younger.

All that being said I want Wawrinka to win. It would entail upsetting Nadal but if Soderling can do it why not Stan the Man? :tongue:

Yes, but there have been matches where Fed has been playing nowhere near his best and still beaten Ferrer (same for Nadal vs Ferrer) - there's a reason why their H2H is 14-0 and regardless of how hard Ferrer fights, there are some people he just won't be able to beat at this stage. :frown:

Berdych can beat Federer BUT he will have to first make it past Monfils, then potentially Gulbis and later Ferrer, who has dominated him recently.

Tsonga has not beaten Federer in a Slam since Wimbledon 2011, where he pretty much played like God. We are not aware of his current form as he is highly unpredictable, and so we will need to observe his match tomorrow. He could beat Roger, but their last 5 matches say otherwise. We will see.

As for Federer himself, we will see how he approaches this. If he makes it to the semis and he finds that Djokovic happens to defeat Nadal in the other half of the draw (assuming those two get there), the euphoria of not having to play Rafa in the final may very well give him some motivation to go all out and try to win the tournament, properly turn his season around and silence his critics once again.
Yes, but there have been matches where Fed has been playing nowhere near his best and still beaten Ferrer (same for Nadal vs Ferrer) - there's a reason why their H2H is 14-0 and regardless of how hard Ferrer fights, there are some people he just won't be able to beat at this stage. :frown:

Berdych can beat Federer BUT he will have to first make it past Monfils, then potentially Gulbis and later Ferrer, who has dominated him recently.

Tsonga has not beaten Federer in a Slam since Wimbledon 2011, where he pretty much played like God. We are not aware of his current form as he is highly unpredictable, and so we will need to observe his match tomorrow. He could beat Roger, but their last 5 matches say otherwise. We will see.

As for Federer himself, we will see how he approaches this. If he makes it to the semis and he finds that Djokovic happens to defeat Nadal in the other half of the draw (assuming those two get there), the euphoria of not having to play Rafa in the final may very well give him some motivation to go all out and try to win the tournament, properly turn his season around and silence his critics once again.

I think the point I'm trying to get across is that Fed's half of the draw is more open than people are saying but I do accept that for anybody to upset him will most likely have to play the best match of their lives .
I think the point I'm trying to get across is that Fed's half of the draw is more open than people are saying but I do accept that for anybody to upset him will most likely have to play the best match of their lives .

That is true, there are more contenders, but for some players - even if they do play the best match of their lives, that might not be enough.

First day of RG was pretty entertaining overall, and I will be eagerly watching tomorrow's matches, especially the Berdych-Monfils one.
By the sounds of it i am least worried for Federer until the final. Tsonga is simply not that good on clay and while normally he may be crowd favourate, that goes out of the window when you get the likes of Federer and Nadal who are viewed with true reverence. Ferrer probably stands a better chance being on clay but will not be odds on and Berdych i feel is a bigger threat to Federer on hard courts than clay.
Reply 1954
If Nadal makes it to the final then Nahdahl will win 100%, but if somehow Nole prevails in a 5 set classic hopefully Federer must be waiting for a tired Nole in the final and if he can go into God mode like he did in 2011 RG semis then Bang.
As for the people who are saying if Sodering can beat Rafa why cant stan the man, may I remind you Soldering only beat Rafa as Rafas was going through a hard time mentally he wasnt there in the match due to the fact that hes parents were having a divorce and also because of tendinitis which prevents you from playing at your best.
Original post by ubi1
If Nadal makes it to the final then Nahdahl will win 100%, but if somehow Nole prevails in a 5 set classic hopefully Federer must be waiting for a tired Nole in the final and if he can go into God mode like he did in 2011 RG semis then Bang.
As for the people who are saying if Sodering can beat Rafa why cant stan the man, may I remind you Soldering only beat Rafa as Rafas was going through a hard time mentally he wasnt there in the match due to the fact that hes parents were having a divorce and also because of tendinitis which prevents you from playing at your best.

? :biggrin: Spelling fail
Original post by ubi1

If you hadn't noticed I was being pretty sarcastic about Wawrinka beating Nadal as it's obvious that Stan is a very long shot for the title and also by my use of the :tongue: smiley.
Reply 1957
? :biggrin: Spelling fail

I was on ATP website and its pronounced like this
ra-FAY-el nah-DAHL:redface:
Original post by ubi1
I was on ATP website and its pronounced like this
ra-FAY-el nah-DAHL:redface:

U seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoJV0-1SByU
Reply 1959

Yeah BORG>MAC>CONN>LEN VS FED>NAD>DJO>MUR who wins?..:redface: