The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MAyman12
We were both were screwed by M1:tongue:

Mhmm, if only I did better on that lift question and those 3 marks were claimed along with method marks I'd be set of 90+. M1 is just destroying my average
Original post by Robbie242
Mhmm, if only I did better on that lift question and those 3 marks were claimed along with method marks I'd be set of 90+. M1 is just destroying my average

At least it won't being your average down as much as my S2 will for me, I got a 75 :-/ So it's going to take a lot too push the average back up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too. I'm expecting 95+ in both C1 and C2, but M1 is pulling me down:frown:

Me too :five:
Me too. I'm expecting 95+ in both C1 and C2, but M1 is pulling me down:frown:

Same :angry:

M1 or S1 depending on which one I'm cashing in is bringing down my average :biggrin:
Looks like quite a few people have personal hate for M1 this month :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MathsNerd1
At least it won't being your average down as much as my S2 will for me, I got a 75 :-/ So it's going to take a lot too push the average back up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh true! but haven't you got an offer from Warwick so the whole university admissions thing is over, you just need to meet your offer now?

It was disappointing because M1 was my strongest module, but on the day I flunked it, it was also the only evidence to base upon my mechanics skills to present Cambridge with, ah well just glad S2 and C2 didn't mess up, otherwise I'd be in a world of trouble!
Awesome.:biggrin:

Thank you, I'm sure that it took some time to write.:tongue: It would be better If you used less symbols, as it confuses me:redface:

How do you know such methods?

It's just proof by induction...you'll know it if you've done FP1
Original post by reubenkinara
Same :angry:

Won't gonna start arguing about grade boundaries , but it's going to be low-trust me.:biggrin:
Oh true! but haven't you got an offer from Warwick so the whole university admissions thing is over, you just need to meet your offer now?

It was disappointing because M1 was my strongest module, but on the day I flunked it, it was also the only evidence to base upon my mechanics skills to present Cambridge with, ah well just glad S2 and C2 didn't mess up, otherwise I'd be in a world of trouble!

Yeah pretty much but when I did apply I only had 70 in my S2, so it just shows you that 1 mark isn't the end of everything, just need to try harder next time and make sure the same doesn't happen in the rest of your exams :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Looks like quite a few people have personal hate for M1 this month :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not too bad for me as I'll use S1 instead for AS, put M1 for Further Maths and self study D1. Just feel sorry for those only doing normal maths who messed up M1 :sadnod::sadpanda:
Won't gonna start arguing about grade boundaries , but it's going to be low-trust me.:biggrin:

Fingers crossed aha, I know S1 isn't low so I got a feeling my M1 score may exceed my S1 score for that very reason, but genuinely tons of people messed up the M1 exam, 1 person in the further maths class did well, the rest flopped
If everyone is worried about M1, then just work on boosting your other modules so then your percentage won't be damaged as much as all that! My D2 last year I got 82 and wondered if my Further Maths would end up as an A instead of an A*, but I ended up with 98 in S2 to make up for it because I forgot about it and concentrated on everything else! Cheer up people, I know it's Oxbridge you're all hoping for but they will allow the odd module to go amiss...
Original post by Felix Felicis
It's just proof by induction...you'll know it if you've done FP1

I know proof by induction (I've been self-teaching FP1 for about two weeks now) but what I meant is the approach itself and the ideas.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah pretty much but when I did apply I only had 70 in my S2, so it just shows you that 1 mark isn't the end of everything, just need to try harder next time and make sure the same doesn't happen in the rest of your exams :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that's good! I'd pretty nearly much equally like to go Warwick as well so that certainly is good news! and cheers that is reassuring, just need to smash FP1 to pieces to breach 90ums in further maths as an average
Original post by reubenkinara
It's not too bad for me as I'll use S1 instead for AS, put M1 for Further Maths and self study D1. Just feel sorry for those only doing normal maths who messed up M1 :sadnod::sadpanda:

That's okay then and yeah, it's a shame but apparently it shouldn't be too bad with the grade boundaries going to be low, although I can't see that happening but I'll just leave it at that :tongue:

Also D1 was just torture in Year 11, so incredibly boring!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Me too :five:

It's weird because before the exam I was smashing all the questions to pieces but in the exam my mind froze on suvat, I don't know how I even mustered up a suitable solution for moments however, it took me ages !
In a weird way, I kind of hope I get a rejection from Cambridge/Oxford.

It'd stop any complacency I have, cut down any arrogance I might have as well as show me I'm not some great mind that I could possibly believe myself to be...

But I'd want to be accepted by Durham then :lol:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Do you think my average will be okay as I'm not applying for maths?

Hopefully it'll be 92+%

Not a clue precisely how competitive, but unless it's Medicine anything >90% usually nabs you an interview at least.

Just to ask for some input for my current scenario, for M1 I messed up badly (well not bad as in bad but you get the point) I got 63/75 (without method marks) which no doubt will probably be around 80-84ums. I also failed to complete S1 in time and as a result I couldn't have time to answer questions, dropping down to 66/75 which is give or take around 86-88 ums, will these two bad modules affect my overall chances?.

S2 went well and expecting about 95 ums, C2 I got 100ums so my maths average is looking about 95% whilst further maths about 91% (if FP1 is 98+). The main problem I see, is my mechanics, this is the only mechanics I have to show to Cambridge and I did fairly badly in it, I will apply regardless but I was wondering if you could use your advice to give me knowledge and apply it to my current situation.

On a more bright note, expecting to get just about 90ums for economics, and an overall A for history. (which may or may not help)

M1 will likely raise an eyebrow, but will not destroy an application. S1 will matter less if you've performed better in S2. 100 in C2 is infallible and 98 in C1 (Am I remembering correctly?) is also excellent. My guess? The scores would be sufficient to get to interview, but will be a bit lower than average in total so you'd be looking to rock the interview.

I think I flunked my M1 exam this summer,though I was quite able at mechanics and was expecting a 100. But, I got really nervous in the exam and now I'm expecting 85 or something if lucky. Would they bother with that?

I'm applying for Physics-NatSci, what UMS scores are they expecting from me in Maths and FM (I know that maths is extremely important for physics, actually it's impossible to do proper physics without it)?

Thank you for explaining things.:biggrin:

I do not know precisely what averages Physical Natsci would be expecting, but I would imagine they're expecting fairly high (Although not as high as Maths as they auto-pool). Again, they may ask you to explain M1 but it's highly unlikely to damage your application on its own, especially if your other modules go fine. How is the Physics going?

To both of you: a single module is not sufficient to break an application. One of the people on the STEP school I met (So a successful Maths applicant) did not have an A in FP1, which is significantly more damaging than what either of you two are expecting. You may well be asked what happened with M1 if it's an outlier with respect to your other scores and it will bring down your average slightly in comparison to other applicants but it is not going to break your application. Most people have an off day with a certain module or two.

Latest

Trending

Trending