The Student Room Group

English Language B AQA Unit 1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HannahBanana1995
For text F about the cycling safety, I said about the imperative sentences, alliteration in the title, bullet point structure so readers can easily follow each point, and the diagram can help those who may not understand the special lexis terms to identify the different safety features on a bike, so it caters for a wide range of cyclists from new to experienced.
I went with the idea of children targeted due to the picture :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 101
Anyone know when the paper gets uploaded online? Can't remember the specific texts. Anyway, I did:

Pronouns
The Mr and Mrs transcript, the Beach Buddies poster, the cycling guide, and the Broadband flyer.

Here I wrote that the transcript uses them to direct each other, with a past, shared knowledge. For example, "you looked after" or whatever. The poster uses asks questions such as 'Are you going on a holiday?' to allow the reader ('you') to ask yourself if you are, and to read/contact the poster if you indeed are. The cycling guide directs 'you' so you can check yourself that you are following the instructions. Finally, the Broadband poster gives you an issue, asks 'you' if you suffer it, and offers the reader a solution if they are suffering. Also explains you can 'reward yourself'.

Minor and Simple Sentences
The mushroom advert, the novel, and the cycling guide.

Here I wrote that the mushroom advert uses simple sentences for humour (giving the mushroom a short, snappy line like "You are the chicken."), making it sound superior and stronger. In the novel, I wrote the simple sentences create suspense and allow the reader time to picture the scene in their head. I think there were 5 simple sentences in a row actually. Then for the cycling guide, I said the checklist were minor sentences, though was a bit iffy. Like, one was 'front and back lights' or something if I remember right, which should count as a minor sentence? Either way, said these were used as a bullet point to be read quick, or even checked off as a shopping list if you wanted to purchase those items to stay safe.

Adjectives
The favourite lyricist transcript, the mushroom advert, the broadband poster.

The favourite lyricist transcript used 'best', 'greatest', etc. which put across each others opinions, allowing debate, responses and feedback. The mushroom advert used them to put across mushrooms as better and superior to chicken, personifying the mushroom as bigger and better. The Broadband poster used them to describe the solution and positive consequence for fixing your broadband and 'rewarding yourself'.

Then for Section B, I did the gender question. Really struggled actually, I mentioned a lot about stereotypes. Like, how men are interested in sports, keeping fit, health, etc. The article also said it would help with stress, so I mentioned the men are normally the workers/breadwinners and so likely would be stressed (another stereotype). I also mentioned the article didn't mention women at all and was focused on men, and also that 'Wellman' is of course a sign that they focus on men, and that men are the well-being of the company. Couldn't think of much terminology to mention though which will likely make marks suffer, but honestly I don't think there was much except of course adjectives, semantic fields, etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Wow... Im such a moron. I did two texts for section 2 -_-

Am I basically going to get a U now for the exam as I didn't even follow the question criteria? I did section one fine with the groupings but section 2 did like two pages on the gender text and like one and a half on the power text. Will they mark the gender but not the power as I did it first or have I totally ****ed this exam? Can't believe I did it its because I had been talking to my teacher like the day before and he was saying what ones i prefer and I said power and gender and that just stuck in my mind of what I was going to do...

Anyone?? :|
Original post by chellls
well for gender i wrote some of tannen.. although i think i accidentally wrote tanner instead will i get marked down on it? :frown: so i just wrote about things to do with competitiveness and also referenced to how tannen talked about how men want solutions and the wellman was a solution to their problems (stress smoking etc) then some male stereotypes and how they represent men as being superior, um i can't remember what else! i wasn't really sure if i was meant to reference women in this text or not? it was a nasty one! what did you do? :smile:

I talked about marked and unmarked terms and how marked (women) usually become derogatory, but this one for men still isn't mean. I talked about declarative sentences because men like information. I talked about their 'hectic' lifestyles and how the writer is playing on stereotypes that men do stressful jobs like doctoring or banking, things like that, even though 30% of men now are househusbands....things like that. I was on one website the other day and they put Tanner instead of Tannen so I don't think it really matters - as long as you've talked about her theory and applied it well enough to the text I think it'll be fine xD
Original post by Sm96
I thought exactly the same! I thought it was the technology question and got mixed up too... I thought it was okay when I actually got to writing it though, but feel as though I could of done a lot better with something with female language in though!

same - I really wanted like a novel / magazine kind of thing bc I did Mills and Boon novel opening for my coursework and then we did a practice question for a Mills and Boon medical novel. But that was quite recent so I didn't think we'd get that....
Original post by sophiealyssa

Am I basically going to get a U now for the exam as I didn't even follow the question criteria? I did section one fine with the groupings but section 2 did like two pages on the gender text and like one and a half on the power text. Will they mark the gender but not the power as I did it first or have I totally ****ed this exam? Can't believe I did it its because I had been talking to my teacher like the day before and he was saying what ones i prefer and I said power and gender and that just stuck in my mind of what I was going to do...

I wouldn't worry too much about it, hopefully they will just mark the first text you analysed and ignore the second.

Your best bet is to speak to your English teacher as they'll probably know! If not you could try and get in touch with AQA (or ask your teacher to)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 106

You won't get a U :smile: they'll just mark whichever was the first one that you wrote, I remember a teacher telling us this before :smile: so don't worry about it too much
How much did people write overall? I got onto Page 11 but didn't finish it so 9 and a half probably?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 108
Original post by sophtommo
How much did people write overall? I got onto Page 11 but didn't finish it so 9 and a half probably?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg that's insane! I wrote 7 pages I think :s ....

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote 12 pages, safe to say I had hand cramp after!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beth1995x
Omg that's insane! I wrote 7 pages I think :s ....

That's still so much!!! I did 5 for section 1 and 4 for section 2! I did TECHNOLOGY WHO ELSE DID?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lauren1brown

Posted from TSR Mobile

jesus omg i think i would have bought a new hand

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112
Original post by lauren1brown

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really hope you have big handwriting! Haha
Reply 113

I was reading an examiner's report before and I remember it saying something about if a student has answered 2 social context questions then to mark both; can't remember if it said award the one with the highest marks? It might have, but it definitely said to read and mark them both so I wouldn't worry too much :smile:
I really hope you have big handwriting! Haha

I'd go for average sized, I'm just a really fast writer! It's not neat at all though hahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 115
I found the novel text a bit odd because it was hard to group with anything :/ so I left it out
Then for question B I did the power question which I thought was relatively easy, did anyone else do power?

I grouped the novel with the chicken casserole advert for narrative elements, and I gave a mention to William Labov's narrative structure for orientation. My two other groups was a transcript group and a graphological features group.
Reply 116
Original post by LeeRoss96
I grouped the novel with the chicken casserole advert for narrative elements, and I gave a mention to William Labov's narrative structure for orientation. My two other groups was a transcript group and a graphological features group.

Ahhhh that's a good idea :smile: my three groups were genre of advertisements, spoken mode texts and the representation of young adults - although this one was a bit iffy as I'd grouped the sixth form holiday text with the cycling safety text and there's no saying that the cycling text was aimed at young adults at all!
Original post by Tinglay
I'm glad I didn't focus on revising for gender, it looked difficult. What did you write for power?

I wrote about how the headmistress altered her register to appeal to both the parents and their children by using words like 'Kids'.
How although she held the power through her speech, she infact didn't have the power as she was persuading the parents to choose her school. I said about how she used inclusive language to reinforce a school community and increase the power of the school as a unit.

I really can't remember much else haha. That gender one was awful! Technology wasn't much better either.
Original post by when she was 22
I'm in year 13 and resitting... we revised gender hardcore! As in, we didn't even look at power or technology. I was soooo gutted about the text! I did power anyway, but I've messed it up, so I'm gutted either way haha. Everyone else in my class did gender anyway. Crazy people.

We did most on power and gender so we could choose which we wanted. I felt more comfortable on technology but that transcript was dire haha. I'm sure you've done fine :smile:
Reply 119

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did 7 sides, three and half for each question.

Quick Reply

Latest