The Student Room Group

Maths degree and then become an actuary?

I want to do a mathematics degree in university, is it possible to do a maths degree and then become an actuary? Do i need to take a course or something?
Reply 1
It is possible to take a maths degree and then progress on to becoming an actuary. Gain work experience from other firms to do with maths/finance etc. To be able to officially become an actuary you must pass the examinations also:smile:

http://www.actuaries.org.uk/becoming-actuary/pages/how-become-actuary
Reply 2
What if i do acturial sciences? Do i still need to do a examination to become and actuary?
Reply 3
Original post by Arsenal121
What if i do acturial sciences? Do i still need to do a examination to become an actuary?

What Actuarial Science degree actually give you will vary a fair bit from one university to the next. To become an actuary, you need to pass a minimum of 15 exams (9 CT's, 3 CA's, 2 ST's and 1 SA.) The actuaries website will give all the information you should need on this. Some Maths degrees might give you an option in later years to take a module or 2 that can lead to individual exemptions from a CT exam. Most accredited Actuarial Science degrees will give exemptions from CT1 - CT8 (CT9 is based on a residencial course or something.) There are a few MSc's available which can lead to CA1, CA3 and a few ST subjects. To qualify as an actuary, you need to have a certain amount of work experience as a trainee actuary (I can't remember who long it is.) I'd suggest reading a bit more about it before making any real decisions. It's also worth noting that actuarial science uses more statistics than mathematics in the work that it does.
Reply 4
Original post by qno2
What Actuarial Science degree actually give you will vary a fair bit from one university to the next. To become an actuary, you need to pass a minimum of 15 exams (9 CT's, 3 CA's, 2 ST's and 1 SA.) The actuaries website will give all the information you should need on this. Some Maths degrees might give you an option in later years to take a module or 2 that can lead to individual exemptions from a CT exam. Most accredited Actuarial Science degrees will give exemptions from CT1 - CT8 (CT9 is based on a residencial course or something.) There are a few MSc's available which can lead to CA1, CA3 and a few ST subjects. To qualify as an actuary, you need to have a certain amount of work experience as a trainee actuary (I can't remember who long it is.) I'd suggest reading a bit more about it before making any real decisions. It's also worth noting that actuarial science uses more statistics than mathematics in the work that it does.

3 years work experience, plus some requirements on training+work based skills questions.
Reply 5
Original post by Slumpy
3 years work experience, plus some requirements on training+work based skills questions.

Ahh cool. Also just noticed the typo in my post :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by qno2

Thanks for replying,
The 15 exams that needs to be completed to become an actuary, are you able to do some of them with a maths degree?
Reply 7
As I said, it's totally dependant on the university but it's very unlikely that a standard maths degree will entitle you to any more than 2 exemptions. I also like to point out that at Heriot Watt there is a degree entitled Mathematical, Statistical and Actuarial Science(normally abbreviated to MSAS) which allows you to combine aspects of their maths degree with modules in actuarial science. I think, depending on what options you take, that you can graduate from this with up to 7 of the CT exemptions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thanks for replying,
The 15 exams that needs to be completed to become an actuary, are you able to do some of them with a maths degree?

As above. I believe MORSE at Warwick offers a few, and there are various masters courses too, but most maths degrees would be unlikely to get you off more then CT3, CT6 (and I guess potentially CT8...maybe CT4, but I think this is more unlikely).
Reply 9
What about if I do acturial sciences degree, will i cover every exams? Or will i need to take extra exams after i graduate?
Reply 10
What about if I do acturial sciences degree, will i cover every exams? Or will i need to take extra exams after i graduate?

qno2's post appears to answer this.
Reply 11
Would I have an advantage if I took a masters degree at Manchester university and will it exempt more exams.

Quick Reply