The Student Room Group

Step Up to Social Work 2014

Is anyone else applying? I'm quite disappointed that it only starts in January.

Scroll to see replies

I am! have you sent your form off already?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by FamilyPupil
I am! have you sent your form off already?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not yet - I emailed them for clarification about the start and end date of qualifications but I haven't received a reply and I sent the email over a week ago now. Have you submitted yours?
Original post by takemethere
Not yet - I emailed them for clarification about the start and end date of qualifications but I haven't received a reply and I sent the email over a week ago now. Have you submitted yours?

No I haven't yet....I'm still filling out the form. what local authority are you applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by FamilyPupil
No I haven't yet....I'm still filling out the form. what local authority are you applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wigan. How about you?
Hi, I have just joined as I wanted to find someone who had done or was on the step up programme. I have applied for it in the Wirral area, haven't heard anything back yet but it says it could be as late as 16th June!
Reply 6
Original post by Kimberley7891
Hi, I have just joined as I wanted to find someone who had done or was on the step up programme. I have applied for it in the Wirral area, haven't heard anything back yet but it says it could be as late as 16th June!

I doubt they'll respond to anyone before the deadline. Hopefully we won't have to wait until June though.
Reply 7
What has everyone covered in the personal statement part? I'm finding it difficult not to repeat things covered in the competency questions.
Im sat here debating whether or not to complete the form . . . I don't have significant experience in working with children, youths or families, although I do have 1 yrs experience dating back to 2006-7 working for a charity, who looked after disadvantaged families and their children! I also did a bit of teaching (dance) with children as young as 3! And I have voluntary experience from working in the Courts.

No idea what to do :dontknow:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by DancinBallerina
Im sat here debating whether or not to complete the form . . . I don't have significant experience in working with children, youths or families, although I do have 1 yrs experience dating back to 2006-7 working for a charity, who looked after disadvantaged families and their children! I also did a bit of teaching (dance) with children as young as 3! And I have voluntary experience from working in the Courts.

No idea what to do :dontknow:

I think it's worth a shot if you really want to do it. I've been working with look after children and young people for just 10 months now and did a short teaching placement at uni 3 years ago, so I don't have loads of experience. The programme is designed for career changers and requires less experience than applying to study an MA does.
I think it's worth a shot if you really want to do it. I've been working with look after children and young people for just 10 months now and did a short teaching placement at uni 3 years ago, so I don't have loads of experience. The programme is designed for career changers and requires less experience than applying to study an MA does.

. . .I had to go abroad for a funeral and only just returned. Closing date has now passed. :cool: Although I wouldn't have mind putting in an application just gut feeling that I wouldn't get anywhere with the application :dontknow:. Ah well . .
Reply 11
Hi, I have just seen these posts, and I too have applied for the Step up to Social Work programme 2014. I was wondering if anyone knows when we will hear back from them? Either with bad or good news?
Reply 12
Hi guys, I am hoping most of u did apply. I'm currently on the second cohort of the programme. We're due to officially finish on 26/7/13. The last our application had to be in at the end of August and we got the invite to attend the assessment centre mid-oct. The assessment part of it took place in the second week of November and successful candidates were informed within a week. Its a great route giving you experience within statutory setting and although you're not guaranteed a job at the end of the programme, i would still recommend it. If anyone requires any info about anything then give me a shout. I may not be able to shed much light on the course content as we're undertaking a 18 month MA. However I'm happy to help anyway I can. Good luck to you all who applied. X
Reply 13
Original post by sophie_jc
Hi, I have just seen these posts, and I too have applied for the Step up to Social Work programme 2014. I was wondering if anyone knows when we will hear back from them? Either with bad or good news?

From the website: We will attempt to respond to every applicant, and you will be contacted by 16 June with the outcome of your application form. Due to the high number of applications, we will be unable to give specific feedback on individual applications.

Hopefully we'll hear back soon, good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by sanbam
Hi guys, I am hoping most of u did apply. I'm currently on the second cohort of the programme. We're due to officially finish on 26/7/13. The last our application had to be in at the end of August and we got the invite to attend the assessment centre mid-oct. The assessment part of it took place in the second week of November and successful candidates were informed within a week. Its a great route giving you experience within statutory setting and although you're not guaranteed a job at the end of the programme, i would still recommend it. If anyone requires any info about anything then give me a shout. I may not be able to shed much light on the course content as we're undertaking a 18 month MA. However I'm happy to help anyway I can. Good luck to you all who applied. X

That's really helpful, thanks. Which local authority are you working for?
Hi all, I have also applied for Step up to Social Work 2014. I have applied for borough of Westminster but would be happy with any London borough. I think we should hear back soon. It looks like a great scheme. Where has everyone applied?
Reply 16
That's really helpful, thanks. Which local authority are you working for?

Hi I'm currently with the Greater Manchester Regional Partnership. There's fifteen of us all together, 4 with Salford Council, 4 with Manchester Council, 2 with Bury Council, 2 with Stockport Council and 3 with Bolton Council. The Local Authority that I am based with is Bolton. Although there are a lot more councils and authrorities taking part in the programme then when I applied in 2011, so hopfully that bodes well in terms of places available for the 2014 programme. I won't lie it's been truely demanding, but with the last 7 weeks to go I have to say it's been worth it. I'm currenetly on placement with a front line Child Protection Team with five weeks to go and the experience, skills and knowledge that the programme has allowed me to develop has been second to none.

Which area/auhtority have you applied to? Good luck with the application and keep me informed of how you get on. x
Reply 17
Original post by sanbam
Hi I'm currently with the Greater Manchester Regional Partnership. There's fifteen of us all together, 4 with Salford Council, 4 with Manchester Council, 2 with Bury Council, 2 with Stockport Council and 3 with Bolton Council. The Local Authority that I am based with is Bolton. Although there are a lot more councils and authrorities taking part in the programme then when I applied in 2011, so hopfully that bodes well in terms of places available for the 2014 programme. I won't lie it's been truely demanding, but with the last 7 weeks to go I have to say it's been worth it. I'm currenetly on placement with a front line Child Protection Team with five weeks to go and the experience, skills and knowledge that the programme has allowed me to develop has been second to none.

Which area/auhtority have you applied to? Good luck with the application and keep me informed of how you get on. x

That sounds really interesting. I've applied to Wigan, so also in Greater Manchester. Hopefully I'll hear soon!
Reply 18
Hi all, I have also applied for this programme, ideally in York but I'd be happy with other locations too. I'm constantly checking my emails up to the 16th June as I have yet to hear anything back! Has anyone had any feedback yet? Such an anxious wait!!
Haven't heard anything yet.. It is an anxious wait!!

Can anyone hazard a guess to when we would attend the assessment centre? I'm away from mid-July for 10 weeks and worried I'll miss out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending