The Student Room Group

Entry into medicine with unusual circumstances

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MJK91
That's not really true, many applicants come from universities not offering medicine.
That said, if you did go to a university offering medicine, there might be an opportunity to unofficially discuss with the admissions tutors what makes a good application to that school (though that would obviously be entirely kept under wraps!)

I was thinking more along the lines that you'd be rubbing shoulders with medics (incl. graduate entrants) and absorb the insight into what it takes, but your idea could work too :smile:
I have no evidence that it would be a better position to apply from, but I can't see a downside.
Original post by garethveale
I have done some research as of yet I haven't found any degrees of this nature. I may be wrong but I think a degree like this would require some previous education in at least a science a level?

I am swaying towards completing a Computer Science degree (access onto this is possible with my current Diploma), depending on workload I aiming at acquiring at least a chemistry A-level while I'm studying. Do you guys think hospitals offer part-time health care assistant positions? I could take up this to strengthen my GEM application.

have you searched for Biology with computing, bioinformatics, Human Biology/Computing. A quick search and a couple of courses popped up. You would need to check specific requirements and possibly email admissions to see if your Diploma is equivalent etc. Worth a try?
Reply 22
Original post by MJK91

I was hoping you could answer a question.

I have decided on studying computer science as entry onto this is possible with my Diploma alone.

However, looking at entry requirements a lot of the higher ranking universities require A-level maths alongside the Diploma. Do you think it is worth taking an extra year out to complete this A-level so that I get into a more prestigious uni? Or does the uni you study your degree at not affect your GEM application? Rather only by what your final result is.
Reply 23
Original post by garethveale
I was hoping you could answer a question.

I have decided on studying computer science as entry onto this is possible with my Diploma alone.

However, looking at entry requirements a lot of the higher ranking universities require A-level maths alongside the Diploma. Do you think it is worth taking an extra year out to complete this A-level so that I get into a more prestigious uni? Or does the uni you study your degree at not affect your GEM application? Rather only by what your final result is.

The uni doesn't matter one jot. Go somewhere you like the look of, and that would give you decent prospects in IT/computing/whatever should you not end up getting into Medicine. :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Ronove
The uni doesn't matter one jot. Go somewhere you like the look of, and that would give you decent prospects in IT/computing/whatever should you not end up getting into Medicine. :smile:

Okay thank you :smile:
Reply 25
I did the non science degree and got into GEM this year :smile: it is completely possible! My A levels and GCSE's are pretty dire from me being lazy/partying/prefering to earn money throughout sixth form.

Do a degree you will enjoy for 3 years and get some health experience etc around it. In the interviews I found my degree was a good talking point because it was rather different. But also a lot of places just use the degree as a tick in the box to be honest.
A friend on my course (disaster Management) at uni did the IT diploma. It doesn't have to be a science degree it will just severely limit to where you can apply, but if you do Chemistry AS/A level it will open up a fair few places.
Can I get into a med skul if i take bio chem math and computing(AS)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by ekpenyongnsa
Can I get into a med skul if i take bio chem math and computing(AS)

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you get AAA at A-level, have appropriate GCSEs and UKCAT and apply wisely, then those A-levels are reasonable choices, yes.
Thank you
But what about appying to Cambridge.
Can I get into Cambridge with AS Computing:dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you
But what about appying to Cambridge.
Can I get into Cambridge with AS Computing:dontknow:

The answer is still 'yes'. Cambridge colleges have different requirements about the A2 subjects they require, and some will only consider you if you do Chem+Bio+Maths at A2. But all the rest will accept Chem + 2 others at A2. You should read the 'A level requirements' article in the wiki... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Good luck!
Thanks alot:getmecoat:
Reply 31
Original post by Pastaferian
The answer is still 'yes'. Cambridge colleges have different requirements about the A2 subjects they require, and some will only consider you if you do Chem+Bio+Maths at A2. But all the rest will accept Chem + 2 others at A2. You should read the 'A level requirements' article in the wiki... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Good luck!

You're still peddling misinformation when you tell people to do Chem+Bio+Maths and not Chem+Bio+Physics...
Original post by Ronove
You're still peddling misinformation when you tell people to do Chem+Bio+Maths and not Chem+Bio+Physics...

Yes, I was wrong about that previously. But physics wasn't on this poster's shortlist ("Can I get into a med skul if i take bio chem math and computing(AS)") :wink:
Reply 33
Original post by Pastaferian
Yes, I was wrong about that previously. But physics wasn't on this poster's shortlist ("Can I get into a med skul if i take bio chem math and computing(AS)") :wink:

'Cambridge colleges have different requirements about the A2 subjects they require, and some will only consider you if you do Chem+Bio+Maths at A2. But all the rest will accept Chem + 2 others at A2' does not make it sound like you are referring to that particular posters established choices.
Original post by Ronove
'Cambridge colleges have different requirements about the A2 subjects they require, and some will only consider you if you do Chem+Bio+Maths at A2. But all the rest will accept Chem + 2 others at A2' does not make it sound like you are referring to that particular posters established choices.

Yes, I can see it could be misinterpreted if read out of context, but it was clearly part of a longer conversation. Hopefully anyone reading it out of context would follow the link anyway. And if they didn't, I'm sure this exchange will have set them straight.
So basically I should drop maths and do physics to get in to cambridge?¿?¿?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So basically I should drop maths and do physics to get in to cambridge?¿?¿?

No, you should read the link I gave you earlier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending